TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › Site Help › Getting a 'banned' message?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Getting a 'banned' message?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
We have had several emails from members in good standing complaining that they have been banned.

What you actually have been is logged out. This explanation from Paul:

In the previous version of vb - the "remember me" box (where you login) was ticked by default, so if you logged in then you stayed logged in until you logged out again.

In 3.5 it is not ticked by default - if you don't tick it then you will effectivly become logged out if you don't do anything on the forum for x minutes, where x is the global cookie timeout setting (15 minutes). So, if you login, don't tick the box, wait 20 minutes and then try to view something that guests cannot see, you will get the no permission page (with its very poor wording that suggests you might have been banned).

The previous version of vBulletin software had a message that sounded more like a no permission message than this new one does. All you need do is log in with your username and password.
post #2 of 16
Let's see if this works! I thought I had done that once but then again, I'm on drugs today. LOL
post #3 of 16
Actually - the banned message was wrong - and due to a very old (but incorrect) setting for guests. You should have got the 'no permission' page inviting you to login again - and now you will. Of course, if you remember to tick 'remember me' then you won't get timed out in the first place.
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u
Let's see if this works! I thought I had done that once but then again, I'm on drugs today. LOL
Oh good it worked! I'm so glad I'm not really banned.
post #5 of 16
Glad you're back, Tammie!
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M
Actually - the banned message was wrong - and due to a very old (but incorrect) setting for guests. You should have got the 'no permission' page inviting you to login again - and now you will. Of course, if you remember to tick 'remember me' then you won't get timed out in the first place.
I just "ticked" 'remember me' 3 times and it's still logging me out every time I navigate on thecatsite.
post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Fantastic job, Paul. I see the regular screen that prompts a member to log in now.
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnofsierra
Glad you're back, Tammie!
Thanks Steph!
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u
I just "ticked" 'remember me' 3 times and it's still logging me out every time I navigate on thecatsite.
Assuming you have cookies enabled, then you probably have a broken/corrupt cookie for this site [on you machine]. If you know how to manually delete your cookies for this site then do so, otherwise use your browsers option to delete all cookies, and start again.
post #10 of 16
Thanks. I'm glad I found an answer to that question. Imagine my surprise when I logged in this morning to find I had been "banned forever." I wasn't sure who to contact, so I sent an e-mail to Anne who forwarded it to an Administrator. She, then e-mailed me and told me it was an internal error and I wasn't on any "banned" list. I tried to log on this evening and I'm happy to say it accepted me as a member again

Peggy
Kitty's Mom
post #11 of 16
Hi Peggy!

Nice to see you made it. Sorry about the trouble
post #12 of 16
Well I had a few minutes to spare this morning so I've fixed two issues for you.

1. Remember me is now ticked by default.

2. Private message receipt tracking is now ticked by default.

post #13 of 16
Oh, excellent!
post #14 of 16
I got locked out too
It's nice to be back
Anne
post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M
Well I had a few minutes to spare this morning so I've fixed two issues for you.

1. Remember me is now ticked by default.

2. Private message receipt tracking is now ticked by default.

on both of those, Paul.
post #16 of 16
I'm always logged on!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Site Help
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › Site Help › Getting a 'banned' message?