TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Want to get a friend for my cat
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Want to get a friend for my cat

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
My man and I had a chat the other day and have decided that when we get back from our holiday, we'd like to get our kitty a friend, she of course has been spayed and is about 6 months old. Will the age of the new cat affect her a lot or does it not really make a difference. when we get back we'll still be on leave for 2 weeks and I thought this would be the perfect time to intro a new cat into our home, we'll be around a lot to supervise and help them get used to each other.
post #2 of 16
It's a perfect age because she's still a kitten herself

One of our members Lauren (Pombina) has just added another kitten with her 6 month old kitty called Sleeves and their getting on perfectly
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Thanks Rosie,

Glad to hear it - just don't want my baby to be lonely when we're not there (and it's true what they say - once u have one cat, u just want more and more!)

post #4 of 16
Thats the reason why i got Sophie because Rosie was alone all day while i was at work and it was the best thing i did
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanessaB25
My man and I had a chat the other day and have decided that when we get back from our holiday, we'd like to get our kitty a friend, she of course has been spayed and is about 6 months old. Will the age of the new cat affect her a lot or does it not really make a difference. when we get back we'll still be on leave for 2 weeks and I thought this would be the perfect time to intro a new cat into our home, we'll be around a lot to supervise and help them get used to each other.
My husband and I are actually doing the same thing here within a week or so, and our kitty is the same age! We have already had our application accepted for a kitten nearby, but are waiting because we may have to travel this week! I can't wait!
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Congrats That's wonderful...I'm also very excited!

You know ,that pic of ur kitty looks a lot like my kitty....
post #7 of 16
OoooOOooo weirdness!
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanessaB25
My man and I had a chat the other day and have decided that when we get back from our holiday, we'd like to get our kitty a friend, she of course has been spayed and is about 6 months old. Will the age of the new cat affect her a lot or does it not really make a difference. when we get back we'll still be on leave for 2 weeks and I thought this would be the perfect time to intro a new cat into our home, we'll be around a lot to supervise and help them get used to each other.
i think it's just the right time, age wise. but later will be ok, too - Cable was about 9 months old when Java came to us [Java was 3 1/2 months] & they got along great!
post #9 of 16
my older kitty was 6 months old when I got a 4 month old kitten. the humane society suggested it would be better to get a new kitty that wasn't sexually mature as it would be less of a threat.
post #10 of 16
I think if they're both young cats it will be easier for them to get along with each other.
post #11 of 16
Not to be a wet blanket, but keep in mind that your cat
may not LIKE sharing? Some cats are one cat household
cats only. They just are not friendly with others.

So be careful when picking who will join the house. A submissive
laid back cat would be ideal. I've had luck with opposite
sex pairs... and no luck w/ same sex pairs...

My two got along because Shebs (female older) was
submissive to the new male kitten Diablo.

Diablo is a top cat, no question. I had trouble
adding Lexi (female young cat, 1.5 yrs) to the household
because they were senior, but ALSO because Diablo
is a top cat.

Adding my new feral Male I'm working on taming into the
house will be a huge challenge. Maj. Grey may just
have to be an outdoor kitty till my beloved Diablo
goes to the big sky.
post #12 of 16
Hellooo! Im the one Susan (Rosiemac) mentioned earlier... I'll give you my take on things...
When we brought Nismo into our home (on Monday) Sleeves was unsure so he did a lot of smelling and licking and then he started trying to beat her up (ok don't worry when I say this, read the rest of my post ) he would grab hold of her and bite her and kick her, slap her. This horrified me and I begun to think we may have made the wrong decision in getting a new kitten. But then she started fighting back and now she gives as good as she gets so he has started backing off.
Its now Thursday and I have the best pictures ever to post on this site once I can get them onto my computer. He licks her, kisses her rubs on her and plays with her.
I'm still not leaving them alone for a long time because Id hate for something to happen but Im so happy we got this little baby.
Last night she was sleeping and he obviously decided she needed a bath, so was cleaning her and he wanted to get to her tummy so was trying to bite her neck (like a mother cat would do) to pick her up and move her. Ive never seen anything so adorable in my life.
This morning they were playing and I heard hissing (her) so ran through and he had her pinned to the ground and was biting her. I pulled them apart and they ran away from each other, Sleeves then lay down to 'chill out' and Nismo ran up to him and slapped him in the face so he ran after her and they were rolling around together on the floor. If he was hurting her then she wouldn't come back for more would she...
I also woke up this morning with Sleeves wrapped around my head, lying on my pillow and Nismo under the covers lying between Mark and I.
Definately get a buddy for your baby if you battle on with it then you will soon reep the benefits, and having 2 weeks off to 'supervise' is the perfect time

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71753

Lauren and her babies x
post #13 of 16
Since she is only 6 months old and spayed, now is the ideal time to get a playmate. She's still a kitten herself

I'd go for a mellow type male. Seems the males are more laid back (especially after neutering) and surprisingly less territorial then females are. You could get a male about 5-10 months old.

My females were much more territorial then any of my males (even our breeder male rex). The boys were more tolerant to another cats coming in and laid back. That's why I recommend a male playmate for your female.
post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 
To Opilot - I just want to say thanks so much I think I'll get a male friend for her, as I can imagine there being a battle between 2 females..LOL...but if we do decide to get a femme, I'm pretty sure I can make it work..perseverance I guess...

To Pombina - your post has given me hope - tx Your kitties sound adorable...I can just imagine the two of them playing, which makes me want to get a friend for Nermal even more now
post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45
Since she is only 6 months old and spayed, now is the ideal time to get a playmate. She's still a kitten herself

I'd go for a mellow type male. Seems the males are more laid back (especially after neutering) and surprisingly less territorial then females are. You could get a male about 5-10 months old.

My females were much more territorial then any of my males (even our breeder male rex). The boys were more tolerant to another cats coming in and laid back. That's why I recommend a male playmate for your female.
Yeah that does make good sense now that I think about it The only thing is my bf wants a very young kitten which I know will make Nermal jealous - or do you think it's OK? Though I must say I do prefer the idea of a male cat that's been neutered already.
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanessaB25
Yeah that does make good sense now that I think about it The only thing is my bf wants a very young kitten which I know will make Nermal jealous - or do you think it's OK? Though I must say I do prefer the idea of a male cat that's been neutered already.
Sleeves is nearly 7 months and Nismo is 8 weeks so I think a teeny tiny one would be ideal!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Want to get a friend for my cat