TheCatSite.com › Forums › Feral Cats and Rescue › Cats S.O.S › Too Soon For Another Kitten?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Too Soon For Another Kitten?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
My hubby and I have had seth-chan (who is actually around 6 months old according to the vet, not 5 months old) for a month now. She still has her shy streaks and tantrums, but we are very patient and her training is really coming along. Anyhoo, the vet said she's looking good but I have to take her a stool sample tomorrow because she had a little bit of loose/wet stools this past week (I think from feeding her dry food).

So, the thing is, we are thinking of going to a few shelters tomorrow and looking for another kitten, possibly a much younger kitten (depends on what our heart tells us). Do any of you think it will be too early to introduce a little kitten to Seth? The vet and a few other people thought it might be a good idea, but I'm worried about bullying or rebellious behaviour from Seth. We want her to have a buddy, but have any of you had bad experiences with pairing an older kitten with a younger one?
post #2 of 16
Ive raised kittys together at that age and they have gotten along fine..as you said that seth-chan isnt feeling well you might just want to wait until he is all better before you introduce another cat in the house hold ...imagine having a tummyache and a little one bouncing on you lol...but after that If you are willing to do it id say go for it ... most of the cats I have had and fostered do well with a companion ..It may take a bit of time to get used to each other just remember that you will have to think of temp solutions if they are a little bit jumpy with each other at first like keeping them seperate when they are home alone until you feel comfortable enough with there behaviors that they wont hurt each other ...
Ive always had at least two cats in my home and I have found it a positive thing ..
good luck and hope kittys tummy is feeling better!!
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
She's actually not feeling bad at all from what I can tell. She's full of energy, like usual. :P She's still adjusting to her somewhat new home and learning to trust both of us. She's on the skittish/shy side, but her progress with us is great.
post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 
Well, unfortunately, we may have to wait a few weeks--until we know whether we are going to Syracuse, NY for a small job. I don't want to cause unwanted stress for 2 cats. The 5 hour drive is already going to be hard on Seth-chan I'm sure.

I'm so sad because I was really looking forward to inviting a new friend to our family this weekend...
post #5 of 16
I think every kitten benefits from having a buddy. I'd definitely do it!
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
I'm just afraid of putting both of the kittens under stress if we have to travel for that one week or so. We will be staying in a hotel room, and I don't know if it would cause any stress or behavioural problems. Seth has been with us for over a month, so I know she can probably handle it (without completely freaking out).

We're thinking of waiting for a couple of weeks--until we know if we are going or not, but I soooo want to get another kitten!
post #7 of 16
I'm no expert on these matters, but my humble opinion would be to wait until after you have done your travelling, making sure your current kitty is totally healthy and you have settled him back in at home before bringing in another kitty. Then I think it would be wonderful for him to have a friend to play with and you will enjoy watching them together as we do Bijou and Mika.
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Thanks, Yosemite. We have decided to wait. We think it would be better to go to a shelter after the holiday season anyway. Lots of unwanted, lonely kitties will be available then I'm sure

We have, however, applied online for a kitten nearby, but don't know if we will hear back any time soon or at all. So, we'll see!
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
I just got a voicemail on my phone saying our application has been accepted for a 14 week old kitten that we saw online for a local shelter. It is doubtful we will be going to New York, but I suppose it is still a small possibility. My husband will more than likely be switching to a company with closer work this week or next (within driving distance from home).

Should we go to the shelter and possibly adopt? Of course we will want to meet the kitten to be sure she'll fit in at our household! I'm so excited, but I don't know what to do!
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekomimi
I just got a voicemail on my phone saying our application has been accepted for a 14 week old kitten that we saw online for a local shelter. It is doubtful we will be going to New York, but I suppose it is still a small possibility. My husband will more than likely be switching to a company with closer work this week or next (within driving distance from home).

Should we go to the shelter and possibly adopt? Of course we will want to meet the kitten to be sure she'll fit in at our household! I'm so excited, but I don't know what to do!
Well, in my experience, kittens generally make pretty good travellers. They[re resilient, those young ones. If she fits your household, I'd say that it's never too soon for another kitten! But then again, I haven't read this whole thread so I don't know your situation exactly or how long you will be travelling. I travelled a couple hours and back with a 16 week old and there was no harm done to her.
post #11 of 16
Thread Starter 
We would only be travelling 5 hours to New York.. then staying in a hotel for a week at the maximum, then coming home. I would be with the kittens at all times, except maybe to go to the grocery store.
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Well, the shelter wants us to come by on Saturday, but my husband wants to wait until he finds out where he's headed next.
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekomimi
Well, the shelter wants us to come by on Saturday, but my husband wants to wait until he finds out where he's headed next.
I'm a real believer in what's meant to be will be. I know how hard it can be to pass up a new baby (I've had to do it and been sad for days over it), but I think maybe your hubby has a good idea wanting to wait. I think it would be best for all of you to have a settled and stable environment to introduce the new kitten into and the results will probably be much better in the long term.

When you do get another kittie, also make sure you do the introductions properly so you don't have 2 stressed out cats.
post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 
I do know that it will be best.. but it's so hard to let such a cutie go. Just knowing that she's not in a comfortable home right now breaks my heart!
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekomimi
I do know that it will be best.. but it's so hard to let such a cutie go. Just knowing that she's not in a comfortable home right now breaks my heart!
Bless you, I certainly understand how you feel and I'm sending hugs to you.
post #16 of 16
Thread Starter 
Thank you and *hugs back*

This morning I emailed (and will be calling) the shelter to see if we can meet the kitten the following weekend IF all of our travel is out of the way. If we cannot get an appointment for the following weekend, then there are always other kitties out there who need us!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cats S.O.S
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Feral Cats and Rescue › Cats S.O.S › Too Soon For Another Kitten?