TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Abused cheetah cubs found by US troops in Ethiopia.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Abused cheetah cubs found by US troops in Ethiopia.

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Here is a story about abused cheetah cubs. The scary part is that the cubs are still with the man who abused them.
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/11/25/D8E3HI1G0.html
post #2 of 20
I sometimes am amazed at how unfeeling, uncaring and cruel some humans (or less-than-humans) can be.

It breaks my heart to hear/read stuff like this.
post #3 of 20
Whether it be Ethiopians abusing wildlife, African and Asian poachers, the Thailand child sex trade or Palestinian suicide bombers, it all makes me that much more thankful I live in Canada. Although we have our own issues here to deal with such as rising gun violence, at least we have laws to enforce and govern such issues, as any civilized nation does.
post #4 of 20
I am sick.
At least our wonderful military is trying to do something.
post #5 of 20
I don't think it has anything to do with Ethiopia being "uncivilized". There are cases of poaching and animal cruelty in any country where there are animals and people. And I'm sure there are a lot of cases going unpunished even in "civilized" countries.
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie-p
I don't think it has anything to do with Ethiopia being "uncivilized". There are cases of poaching and animal cruelty in any country where there are animals and people. And I'm sure there are a lot of cases going unpunished even in "civilized" countries.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. People in Canada can go to jail for animal abuse, or at least receive a just punishment. The laws should be stricter, but at least problems such as these are addressed, particularly once there is circumstantial evidence.
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespacat
I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. People in Canada can go to jail for animal abuse, or at least receive a just punishment. The laws should be stricter, but at least problems such as these are addressed, particularly once there is circumstantial evidence.
Yes, I'm sure that there is more enforcement of animal cruelty laws in countries like Canada but to me, that doesn't mean we are more "civilized". A lot of third world countries have big political problems and animal cruelty might not be on the top list of priorities, but I still wouldn't call them uncivilized.

Often problems like poaching in Africa, child prostitutes in Asia, human rights violations just about everywhere and sometimes even genocides have been caused - or sustained - thanks to the participation of "civilized" countries (which doesn't make them "civilized" in my mind)

but I digress... I agree that the case of those cheetah cubs is made worse by the political situation of the country but I just didn't like your use of the word "civilized"
post #8 of 20
Thread Starter 
Many years ago, I took a sociology course taught by a christian man who was born the prince of an African tribe. When he first came to the US, his Mom was horrified, because she thought Americans were savages!

In his culture, he had multiple children by multiple wives, although he was faithful to his christian wife. Quite different social rules, but quite civilized.

At his first baseball game here in the US, he saw a hotdog, and could only conjecture what part of the dog was involved. He went to a pay phone and called his Mom in Africa, who demanded he come home immediately!

He was a great teacher!
post #9 of 20
Hmmmm, I would LOVE to adopt those cheetah cubs, but I would need a litte more space than I have at the moment. However, that may change soon I do believe these cubs have been rescued now
post #10 of 20
How can anyone be so heartless?
post #11 of 20
OMG that is aweful!
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberThe Bobcat
Hmmmm, I would LOVE to adopt those cheetah cubs, but I would need a litte more space than I have at the moment. However, that may change soon I do believe these cubs have been rescued now
Just wondering if you know something more?????
I certainly hope they have been.....that whole article just made me sick!
Linda
post #13 of 20
post #14 of 20
Hurray for the United States Troop. Let's hear it for them.
post #15 of 20
It's disgusting....but a great outcome...
post #16 of 20
That's terrible!
post #17 of 20
This eve, I read on Yahoo News that the cubs have been flown by the US Army to the Ethiopian National Palace, to live there. They purred the whole way, riding part of the time in the arms of the troops - after the horrific experience they suffered with humans, they still have trust & affection - incredible! Of course, they probably realized that our troops are just absolutely AWESOME!!
The end of the article said that US troops are doing humanitarian efforts in Africa - why haven't I heard about that before?? These people are doing so much good in deplorable conditions - why doesn't the media give them more attention?
As for me, I applaud their efforts and would like to write to the Army to show my appreciation of their efforts. Does anyone here know how I should go about doing that?
post #18 of 20
These guys are true heroes. It's so sad that you hear so many negative things about the military and it's almost overlooked when they do heroic and noble things. I am very thankful for their service to our country and to the world.
post #19 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknowme
The end of the article said that US troops are doing humanitarian efforts in Africa - why haven't I heard about that before?? These people are doing so much good in deplorable conditions - why doesn't the media give them more attention?
As for me, I applaud their efforts and would like to write to the Army to show my appreciation of their efforts. Does anyone here know how I should go about doing that?
Humanitarian efforts in Uzbekistan
http://www.defendamerica.mil/article...042005la1.html
In Africa
http://www.americans-world.org/diges...ca/africa4.cfm
After the tsunami
http://www.defenselink.mil/home/features/tsunami/
You could probably find a contact on the last site. Or just thank someone you know who is in or was in the military!
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyyfaber
These guys are true heroes. It's so sad that you hear so many negative things about the military and it's almost overlooked when they do heroic and noble things. I am very thankful for their service to our country and to the world.
You got that right. The mainstream media maligns the military is seems like to me.

Hurray for the Army.

Puzzling how some people can't wait to criticize the military, but when something like this happens and is actually reported, some people are totally silent.

Let's give credit where credit is due, is that asking to much after all our military does for use
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Abused cheetah cubs found by US troops in Ethiopia.