TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › This PC No Christmas thing is about annoying!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

This PC No Christmas thing is about annoying! - Page 2

post #31 of 49
I don't think people with different religious and cultural beliefs are the minority in this country any longer. Maybe Christendom is the minority now.
post #32 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalbabe
I don't think people with different religious and cultural beliefs are the minority in this country any longer. Maybe Christendom is the minority now.
I now live in Germany, but I believe that Christians still form the majority in the U.S., too.
post #33 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalbabe
I don't think people with different religious and cultural beliefs are the minority in this country any longer. Maybe Christendom is the minority now.
If that were the case, which I don't think it is, all the more reason for tolerance - a minority religion.
post #34 of 49
Ok that dosent make sense. First you say you have a right to do it because majority rules and now you say that you have a right because you are a minority.....
post #35 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalbabe
Ok that dosent make sense. First you say you have a right to do it because majority rules and now you say that you have a right because you are a minority.....
No, I didn't. I said all religions should be respected and allowed to celebrate and express their faith.

Tolerance is not one group forbidding all others to speak of their holy days when wishing others well. But in a country that speaks of tolerance towards all especially any minority group, if Christians were a minority, it would be very puzzling to me that their children would be forbidden to say Merry Christmas when wishing other students well. I believe in free speech and freedom to worship (or not) as one believes.
post #36 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix
No, I didn't. I said all religions should be respected and allowed to celebrate and express their faith.

Tolerance is not one group forbidding all others to speak of their holy days when wishing others well. But in a country that speaks of tolerance towards all especially any minority group, if Christians were a minority, it would be very puzzling to me that their children would be forbidden to say Merry Christmas when wishing other students well. I believe in free speech and freedom to worship (or not) as one believes.
Well said, Pat!

I just don't understand why Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Expression should be to the exclusion of the majority. And rest assured, Christianity is definitely still the majority in the US. I believe the most recent stats that I've seen still show close to 80% of Americans say they are Christians of some denomination. I'm all for minority rights, but not to the exclusion of everyone else.
post #37 of 49
I'm Jewish for crying out loud, and I want all of the Christmas I can get. What is offensive about a beautiful tree with lights and decorations on it? What is offensive about seeing Christmas decorations. I believe in decorating my home for both Hanukkah and Christmas.

As far as those who are offended by the Religious aspect of Christmas. More often than not, you only see that sort of thing in front of churches and in people's homes. Stores, aren't decorated with Nativity scenes, they are decorated with Christmas lights, Christmas Trees, Bells, and Santa's. I don't recall Religious decorations at my school, either as a child. Christmas is a beautiful time of the year. I think it's sad that a new generation aren't even going to even be able to acknowledge that it even exists. Pretty soon, people will have to celebrate Christmas behind closed doors and in secret. Who knows, maybe neighbors won't find it PC for people to decorate their homes for the Holidays.
post #38 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalbabe
Jehovah's Witnesses do not celebrate "present day" it must just this one family in particular that does that. Don't think because one family does it that all the rest do it.
As far as her drinking in her house at 18 I think that's perfectly legal but again, that is a descision one family has made for thier daughter. That is not something the religion teaches nor advocates.
Two weeks before christmas about 200 of the witnesses all have a gathering at a holiday resort for a week which her family will also participate in.

I've just asked her today if this "present day" thing is something only her family do, but apparantly it's quite common amongst the other witnesses to also do this!.

And she isn't 18 yet to drink alcohol!.
post #39 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiemac
Two weeks before christmas about 200 of the witnesses all have a gathering at a holiday resort for a week which her family will also participate in.

I've just asked her today if this "present day" thing is something only her family do, but apparantly it's quite common amongst the other witnesses to also do this!.

And she isn't 18 yet to drink alcohol!.
I should know better what JW's participate in and what they don't since I grew up around the religion. They do not have 'present day' and any that do just aren't doing (or not doing) what they are supposed to be doing (or not doing). It sounds as if this girl is giving you bad information for whatever reasons she might have. Next time a JW comes to your door-ask them if they have a 'present day' and see what they say.
Sometimes groups of witnesses do get in groups and go places on thier days off. It has nothing to do with the holidays it it because they all have that time off and they don't celebrate the holidays so they just go places like skiing or whatever.
If Chistmas is being removed from the workplace and from schools it's not because of the JW's. Jw's don't rally, petition or get involed with the worlds political element. They go about thier business and whatever everyone is doing they aren't bothered by it.
post #40 of 49
I'm not Christian and I celebrate Christmas. I love having a tree, lights, and the gifts(esp. the gifts)!!

I haven't noticed the "happy holidays" here and people usually wish me merry Christmas. Why would you want to call it "happy holidays?" I don't know anyone in my family who would be offended by some one saying that to them.

We always spent Christmas (celebrated the 1st of January) with Arab christian friends. We exchanged gifts and always had a great time! When my little brother was born my parents bought a tree because they didn't want him and my little sister to feel left out as they had many Christian friends. No one would say happy holidays there!
post #41 of 49
A holiday has different meaning there, that's why Sims2.
In North America, we generally use 'Vacation' for your 'Holiday'.

post #42 of 49
I think "Happy Holidays" is good. The three major religions - Christianity, Judiasm and Islam are all based on the same God and happenings - so it is good they they be combined into "Holidays" and not one singled out.
post #43 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon
I think "Happy Holidays" is good. The three major religions - Christianity, Judiasm and Islam are all based on the same God and happenings - so it is good they they be combined into "Holidays" and not one singled out.
Plus, "Holidays" includes New Year's, which is secular. "Season's Greetings" is also neutral.
post #44 of 49
HI all, I am not christian and do not celebrate the holiday, I do get angry when people say Merry xmas, my daughter corrects people when they say merry xmas, she says:" we don't celeberate xmas, we celebrate winter solstice.", lol.
If we lived in a world were only christmas was celebrated I would be fine with that, but we all don't celebrate christmas, and it shouldn't be imposed upon us. Isn't easy to say "Happy Holiday's", so we include those who don't celebrate christmas?
Or do you want the signs to say, Merry christmas, Happy CHanakuh, Happy Ramadan, Happy Solstice, and Happy st.Lucia?
post #45 of 49
Aren't Solstice and Yule about the same thing? Aren't they celebrated about the same as most people celebrate Christmas? My friend who is a Pegan, has a Yule tree, looks just the same as a Christmas Tree. I celebtrated the Yule/Christmas with her a couple of years ago, and we had a turkey dinner, and presents, and all of the same things that people have for Christmas. I don't mind if people say, Happy Holidays or Seasons Greatings, as I'm Jewish so it includes Hanukkah as well. I'd just hate to see them forbid decorating for the Holidays. Aren't they trying to stop Christmas Trees and Christmas Decorations, as well?
post #46 of 49
You know, I see where everyone is coming from, but I don't think it's as bad as all that. Some have said that kids at school can't say Merry Christmas, but that isn't true in the schools I'm aware of. Students can wish each other Merry Christmas, and wear seasonal clothing, etc. What is forbidden is for the school administration (incl. teachers) to promote one particular religious holiday. Which sucks for the teachers who might want to wear shirts with santas on them or something, yes, but I understand why it's needful. Similarly, I'm allowed to decorate my office however I like because members of the public won't ever see it, and I don't have meetings in there where other coworkers would have to sit around my stuff even if it made them uncomfortable. Thus, I can have a bible on my desk, and I'll put up decorations on Monday (wheeeee!).

I love Christmas so much that when I get out my decorations Sunday, which is when Advent begins, and put on the music I'm going to cry and laugh with joy. However, I understand folks like bengalbabe, who don't feel about it the way I do and are uncomfortable being bombarded by it in places where they don't have a choice to stay or go. I wouldn't want to go in for a meeting and find that the room was decorated for a satanic holiday, for instance. Or, for a more secular issue, I wouldn't want to go into an office decorated with half-naked swimsuit models either. So, in environments like school and offices where individuals couldn't leave even if it made them uncomfortable, it's important not to impose your religious preferences on others.
post #47 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi
You know, I see where everyone is coming from, but I don't think it's as bad as all that. Some have said that kids at school can't say Merry Christmas, but that isn't true in the schools I'm aware of. Students can wish each other Merry Christmas, and wear seasonal clothing, etc. What is forbidden is for the school administration (incl. teachers) to promote one particular religious holiday. Which sucks for the teachers who might want to wear shirts with santas on them or something, yes, but I understand why it's needful. Similarly, I'm allowed to decorate my office however I like because members of the public won't ever see it, and I don't have meetings in there where other coworkers would have to sit around my stuff even if it made them uncomfortable. Thus, I can have a bible on my desk, and I'll put up decorations on Monday (wheeeee!).

I love Christmas so much that when I get out my decorations Sunday, which is when Advent begins, and put on the music I'm going to cry and laugh with joy. However, I understand folks like bengalbabe, who don't feel about it the way I do and are uncomfortable being bombarded by it in places where they don't have a choice to stay or go. I wouldn't want to go in for a meeting and find that the room was decorated for a satanic holiday, for instance. Or, for a more secular issue, I wouldn't want to go into an office decorated with half-naked swimsuit models either. So, in environments like school and offices where individuals couldn't leave even if it made them uncomfortable, it's important not to impose your religious preferences on others.
I can understand where your coming from with this. My question is this? Is Santa Clause really a religious figure? Are Snowmen? Is a Christmas Tree or Yule Tree a religous symbol? How do those things insult people? I could understand it making people uncomfortable if these places were filled with Nativity scenes, but we're talking about secular Christmas things. What's the difference between decorating with them and using Turkey's and pumpkins and autumn leaves to decorate for Thanksgiving?
post #48 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeHacker
I can understand where your coming from with this. My question is this? Is Santa Clause really a religious figure? Are Snowmen? Is a Christmas Tree or Yule Tree a religous symbol? How do those things insult people? I could understand it making people uncomfortable if these places were filled with Nativity scenes, but we're talking about secular Christmas things. What's the difference between decorating with them and using Turkey's and pumpkins and autumn leaves to decorate for Thanksgiving?
Actually yes, they are all religious in nature. Santa claus is St. Nick and as stated previously Christamas is actually the worship of the Sun god Saturnalia and it is celebrated on the winter solstice (when the days start getting longer). Weather or not people KNOW that-that is inconsequential to those that know what these celebrations are all about.
I object because I refuse to worship any other god other then the one that I worship weather it be direct or in a round about way.
For an explaination of what all of these holidays represent you can look up the info in encyclopedias. You might be very surprised at what you find.
post #49 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi
However, I understand folks like bengalbabe, who don't feel about it the way I do and are uncomfortable being bombarded by it in places where they don't have a choice to stay or go. I wouldn't want to go in for a meeting and find that the room was decorated for a satanic holiday, for instance. Or, for a more secular issue, I wouldn't want to go into an office decorated with half-naked swimsuit models either. So, in environments like school and offices where individuals couldn't leave even if it made them uncomfortable, it's important not to impose your religious preferences on others.
Excellent, I couldn't (and probably didn't) say it better myself.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › This PC No Christmas thing is about annoying!