or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

cats that like water

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
which cat breeds take well to water? just seems like an interesting trait that would suprise people.
post #2 of 17
Harley is starting to like water - which is odd! He used to HATE taking baths, but now whenever we are in the shower, he will actually stand in there with us, or sit on the edge of the tub, pawing at the water. I think the bathtub is his new best friend-I will often find him in there laying down or even playing with the drops of water that come out of the faucet!

Last time I gave him a bath, he just sat there, and seemed like he enjoyed it! I was totally shocked!!

He is a DSH
post #3 of 17
Its very much dependant on each individual cat. Some breeds might be more prone to liking water but its not absolute.

Off the top of my head Bengals and Turkish Vans come to mind though.
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals
Its very much dependant on each individual cat. Some breeds might be more prone to liking water but its not absolute.

Off the top of my head Bengals and Turkish Vans come to mind though.

I absolutely agree - I have a Bengal who hates water!!
post #5 of 17
Yah and mine is curious but was sooo miserable when I had to give her a bath last Friday. Poor baby . However she loves to play with the faucet if I let it drip and will drink from it. But will not be the jump in teh shower type of bengal.
post #6 of 17
I know they say most Bengals like water, but Simba doesn't particularly like it, either. He will play in his water dish, and watch water either dripping in the faucet or watch it drain, but he will not get in the water.
post #7 of 17
My cornish rexes love water - playing in it and don't mind baths either. I had a litter of rex kittens that enjoyed nothing more then to race to the sink when doing dishes - they just wanted to play in the water and could care less how wet they got!

Got to the point where I had to lock them in a room till after I did the dishes
post #8 of 17
Turkish Vans are also known as the Swimming Cats. I've never heard anything about Bengals liking water, well none that I know (on and off TCS)
post #9 of 17
My dlh hates h2o ... My Bengal cross plays in it, though shell swim I doubt a bath is her style
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats
Turkish Vans are also known as the Swimming Cats. I've never heard anything about Bengals liking water, well none that I know (on and off TCS)
Oh there are lots of reports of bengals loving water. They think it's because the ALC catches fish.
2 of my bengal kittens from my last litter loved water and still do. The new "parents" of those kittens email me and send me pics of the cats playing in the sink.
I think though it has something to do with exposing them to it when they are kittens.
post #11 of 17
My Persian & Exotic cats and kittens like playing in sinks and showers and stuff too but I wouldn't say they loved water. Cats that take swims in bath etc, I would say like water.

All my kittens are exposed to water at a young age, I think it's how you bring them up - but with Turkish Vans as an exception because they truly do love water and are well known for that.
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalbabe
Oh there are lots of reports of bengals loving water. They think it's because the ALC catches fish.
2 of my bengal kittens from my last litter loved water and still do. The new "parents" of those kittens email me and send me pics of the cats playing in the sink.
I think though it has something to do with exposing them to it when they are kittens.
Ohhh Thank you .. you just solved a great mystery as to why Zoey will literally fish in my tanks when the lids are off hence why all have tight lids now..
post #13 of 17
My cat will sit in the bathtub untill I turn on the water for him. I thought that's as bad it gets. lol Like a little kid.
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats
My Persian & Exotic cats and kittens like playing in sinks and showers and stuff too but I wouldn't say they loved water. Cats that take swims in bath etc, I would say like water.

All my kittens are exposed to water at a young age, I think it's how you bring them up - but with Turkish Vans as an exception because they truly do love water and are well known for that.
I have heard lots of times about bengals jumping in the shower and bath with people. I'd say that they generally do love water, but of course not all of them. The turkish van site said that the mom cats were teaching the kittens to swim but now that they are not kept outside and they are indoor cats they have pretty much lost the swimming aspect. They do have a fasination with water though.
post #15 of 17
A lot of Sphynx like water too. My Monte will jump into the shower with me...as long as the water is warm enough!
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilleah878
My cat will sit in the bathtub untill I turn on the water for him. I thought that's as bad it gets. lol Like a little kid.
What kind of cat do you have?
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmysphynx
A lot of Sphynx like water too. My Monte will jump into the shower with me...as long as the water is warm enough!
Yeah the water being warm is a requirement for mine to tolerate the bathtub =0)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Showing and Ethical Breeding