TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Just got back from the vet with my dog...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just got back from the vet with my dog...

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
I wasn't sure where to post this, but my dog Beth has had an ear infection we've been trying to fight for about a month now. She has a history of recurring ear infections, but this is the first one that's been so hard to get rid of. She just finished her antibiotics a few days ago, and now it's already acting up again. I took her to the vet today and he's going to try again, but he said it's possible he may need to refer her to another vet for ear surgery.

I really hope she'll get better and not need surgery, both because I'm really afraid of having her go under anesthesia because she's had trachea damage in the past, and also because we're already struggling financially right now with my own medical bills, and I don't know how we'd deal with the expense (though we'll find a way somehow if she needs it).

If you have any prayers or vibes to spare for my sweet girl, I'd really appreciate them.

post #2 of 26
Awww! I'm so sorry she's not feeling well! I hope the meds work this time! Poor doggie!
post #3 of 26
Oh your poor pup!!!


Good wishes and hugs being sent your way!!
post #4 of 26
Ohh...the poor girl! Many a prayer from me to you 'n Beth. My thoughts and hopes are with you both. She's got to pull through this and I'm sure she can, with some support and help and love.
post #5 of 26
Thread Starter 
Thank you so much!
post #6 of 26
Many healing vibes being sent to Beth....
post #7 of 26
Lots of love and healthy vibes being sent to Beth! She's a very pretty pup, and looks so happy with the kitty in that picture.
post #8 of 26
More good and healing vibes for Beth!
post #9 of 26
Lots of healing vibes being sent your way!
post #10 of 26
lots of vibes for your girll. do they know why she has chronic ear infections? is it yeast? or another reason (i ask cause i notice her floppy ears)
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedokitties
I wasn't sure where to post this, but my dog Beth has had an ear infection we've been trying to fight for about a month now. She has a history of recurring ear infections, but this is the first one that's been so hard to get rid of. She just finished her antibiotics a few days ago, and now it's already acting up again. I took her to the vet today and he's going to try again, but he said it's possible he may need to refer her to another vet for ear surgery.

I really hope she'll get better and not need surgery, both because I'm really afraid of having her go under anesthesia because she's had trachea damage in the past, and also because we're already struggling financially right now with my own medical bills, and I don't know how we'd deal with the expense (though we'll find a way somehow if she needs it).

If you have any prayers or vibes to spare for my sweet girl, I'd really appreciate them.


Get a second opinion.. I too am going thru the recurrent ear issues... GIgi just got home from a through cleaning .... The second vet I took her too ( which will see all my girls now) said she would do the surgery but it would not fix the issue and said the issue was allergies and I am waiting for a call about what her allergies are... Have you tried a diet change?? Gigi got a bit of releif from that ...
I am there with you
post #12 of 26
Awww.. good wishes and vibes coming your way!

My dog has the same problem.. it is very common in floppy eared dogs. The vet gave me some meds a few times for his ears.. and it works.. but it just comes back again.. though the vet never mentioned antything about surgery. I will have to look into that.. if its the only way to make my dog feel comfortable.. then its got to be done.
post #13 of 26
Thread Starter 
Thank you so much! With all these good thoughts hopefully she'll get better soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms
lots of vibes for your girll. do they know why she has chronic ear infections? is it yeast? or another reason (i ask cause i notice her floppy ears)
Thank you

I don't remember the vet saying anything about yeast. She does have those floppy ears, and she does love to swim, though I've kept her out of the water since she got this infection.

This most recent infection started as an external infection, and the vet gave her a stronger ear ointment for it than last time (I think it treats both yeast & bacteria), but she had a reaction to it - it turned her ears flaming red and really bothered her. It happened while I was out of town with her on a long weekend, so I just discontinued the meds for a day, then went back to using what remained of the ear ointment from her last infection. Stupid me, I thought she'd be OK 'til we got back to her regular vet. She didn't seem like her ear was really bothering her that much...but then she hasn't acted like it's bothered her much through any of this, unless you try to touch the inside of her ear, though I know it must be quite painful.

When I took her back to the vet, he said it had spread to her middle ear and she'd developed a fever. He put her on oral antibiotics, and on the second week of antibiotics, he rechecked her and said her eardrum had ruptured and was draining, and the third week he said it had healed up again and looked good but he kept her on them another week just to be safe. Then as soon as I finished them, it came back - or perhaps it hadn't finished healing?
post #14 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky
Get a second opinion.. I too am going thru the recurrent ear issues... GIgi just got home from a through cleaning .... The second vet I took her too ( which will see all my girls now) said she would do the surgery but it would not fix the issue and said the issue was allergies and I am waiting for a call about what her allergies are... Have you tried a diet change?? Gigi got a bit of releif from that ...
I am there with you
Thank you I'll be thinking of Gigi too

I'm sure a second opinion wouldn't hurt, especially where surgery is considered. I just want her to get well, whatever it takes.

My vet hasn't tried to clean her ears out because she's so tender, and perhaps because it's in the middle ear? I was using an ear wash when it was external, but he said to stop after she had the reaction.

He hasn't mentioned anything about allergies, so I'll ask when I go back Monday. I've been reading up on ear infections and the articles say pretty much what your vet is telling you, that there's usually an underlying cause.

She eats 'Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul' dog food. She does mooch misc snacks and treats when I take her out to Petsmart, though, so that probably adds some questionable ingredients to her diet. I'll ask him about that, too.

What was Gigi's allergy testing like? Is it like human testing, where the prick the skin, or was it a blood test?
post #15 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leto86
Awww.. good wishes and vibes coming your way!

My dog has the same problem.. it is very common in floppy eared dogs. The vet gave me some meds a few times for his ears.. and it works.. but it just comes back again.. though the vet never mentioned antything about surgery. I will have to look into that.. if its the only way to make my dog feel comfortable.. then its got to be done.
Awww...vibes to your poor puppy too

I'm really nervous about the idea of surgery. Hopefully it won't come to that. Maybe you should ask your vet about allergies, like Sharky suggested? I'm going to ask mine when I see him next. Maybe that will be the solution for us? Hope we find one!
post #16 of 26
Sending prayers your way You take such excellent care of your babies, I'm certain that whatever the outcome with her Mommy nursing her back to health, she will be just fine.
post #17 of 26
Awww Poop pup! I hope another strain of anti-biotics will fight it off without having to undergo surgery. Sending many well wishes your way! Let us know how she does!
post #18 of 26
I`m praying for your Beth!
Linda
post #19 of 26
Best wishes to a soon Recovery to Beth!

(((((((Good Vibes)))))) on the way!
post #20 of 26
for Beth. We used to have a Beagle who had chronic ear infections, and had to undergo surgery on both ears. He didn't have any adverse effects from the surgery, but I can't say that it solved the problem in the long run. We had to clean his ears every day, and give him drops for weeks at a time. I even resorted to using a cloth headband to let some air "get" to his ears.
post #21 of 26
Thread Starter 
Thank you all for the prayers & vibes!
post #22 of 26
Thread Starter 
TCS rules!

I took Beth to the vet for her recheck today, and her ears are much better! She didn't even wince or try to jerk her head when he looked in her ear. It looks like the antibiotic is working - he's going to keep her on it for a couple more weeks, and then recheck her to see if she needs to switch to a different type of antibiotic. I did ask him about allergies, but he said this is a bacterial infection because it's only in her right ear, that both ears would be affected if it were allergies. So I guess it's just a really mean bacterial infection, probably resulting from something getting in her ear while she was swimming.

Hopefully the antibiotics will fix it, so I can just go to doing regular cleanings for maintenance, and especially after she swims, to keep her from getting another infection.

Thank you so much for the prayers & vibes!
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedokitties
Awww...vibes to your poor puppy too

I'm really nervous about the idea of surgery. Hopefully it won't come to that. Maybe you should ask your vet about allergies, like Sharky suggested? I'm going to ask mine when I see him next. Maybe that will be the solution for us? Hope we find one!
He does have allergies, the vets figure to fleas and corn. SO he is on Hills Presciption Diet Z/D and is treated for fleas every month. But they didn't do any testing.

Glad your pupper is feeling better!
post #24 of 26
I'm glad Beth is feeling better! I'm sending good vibes and prayers that your vet can get the infection completely under control.
post #25 of 26
Have any of you heard of the Blue Powder Ear treatment? We used it on our Cocker as they are known to get ear infections and he NEVER EVER had an ear infection. I got the info from a friend who practices holestic stuff and natural remedies.
Ask your Vets about it!!! I will HIGHLY recommend it to anyone.
http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/BLUE.HTM
or
http://itsfortheanimals.com/Adobe/Bl...0Treatment.pdf

Some Cockerkids suffer from frequent ear infections. If your Cocker gets an infection, you can use this "folk remedy" which is highly effective:



Ear Treatment

1 - 16 oz bottle of 70% Isopropyl Alcohol (pour off an inch to make some room16 drops Gentian Violet 1% Solution (it's cheap, but hard to find - try next to the Iodine at a Mom & Pop pharmacy or ask someone to order it)

4 Tablespoons Boric Acid Powder (also cheap and found at the pharmacy)


Shake the bottle well to distribute the powder (the boric acid will not dissolve). To use, shake and pour some into a small plastic squeeze bottle with an applicator tip. Then, shake the bottle each time before administering the ear cleaner.


Treatment: Flood the ear with solution. Massage gently for a least a moment or two then wipe with a tissue or cotton ball. Let the dog shake the excess out. Flood again on first treatment. Wipe with a tissue and leave alone without massage.

Treat 2 times a day for the first two weeks to a month depending on the severity of the infection.

Treat once a day for the next 1 – 2 weeks.

Use as a maintenance remedy weekly after cleaning the ears.
post #26 of 26
Awwwww poor sweet puppy. My Chester gets constant ear infections but nothing like that. I hope she's ok and doesn't need surgery - for both your sakes! I'm sure your vet will work something out with you so that you can perhaps pay off any more treatment he might need. Good luck for you and your baby
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Just got back from the vet with my dog...