TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Can I use fresh pumpkin
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can I use fresh pumpkin

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
My kitty hasent been feeling very good.I took her to the vet on friday and they didnt know why she was feeling sick so Monday there going to do blood work.She just lays in her bed she doesnt want to do anything.She has ate and drank water but not as much as she usually does.She has went pee only 2 times since friday and she hasent went poop at all.I have read that you can use pumpkin to help them go poop?I have about 30 pumpkins left over from halloween that are just going to be thrown out I was wondering if I could use fresh pumpkin and if anyone new how to prepare or cook pumpkin. Those are the only symptoms she has. I hope its nothing serious.She is 10 years old that worries me that it is something serious. I havent seen her trying to go poop so maybe its not constipation?
post #2 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosdum
My kitty hasent been feeling very good.I took her to the vet on friday and they didnt know why she was feeling sick so Monday there going to do blood work.She just lays in her bed she doesnt want to do anything.She has ate and drank water but not as much as she usually does.She has went pee only 2 times since friday and she hasent went poop at all.I have read that you can use pumpkin to help them go poop?I have about 30 pumpkins left over from halloween that are just going to be thrown out I was wondering if I could use fresh pumpkin and if anyone new how to prepare or cook pumpkin. Those are the only symptoms she has. I hope its nothing serious.She is 10 years old that worries me that it is something serious. I havent seen her trying to go poop so maybe its not constipation?
You have to use canned pumpkin.
post #3 of 16
why does it have to be canned pumpkin? i feed my dogs raw, and i give them pumpkin for extra fiber... sometimes i feed canned pumpkin, but after halloween i always chop up our jack-o-lanterns, peel them, boil them until soft, and mash them with a potato masher. its the same stuff thats in the can... cooked mashed pumpkin.
post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 
THANK YOU, I am going to try the pumpkin cooking as soon as I get through writing this.I will let you know how it turns out.Thanks I think she is feeling a little better she started chasing a rope I was dragging.because of her age (10) do you think I should go ahead and get blood work done even if she is feeling better?
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by emb_78
You have to use canned pumpkin.
Erin, what is your source on this? I'm just curious as I would have cooked the pumpkin myself as well, rather than buying a can of pumpkin.
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosdum
THANK YOU, I am going to try the pumpkin cooking as soon as I get through writing this.I will let you know how it turns out.Thanks I think she is feeling a little better she started chasing a rope I was dragging.because of her age (10) do you think I should go ahead and get blood work done even if she is feeling better?
If you haven't all ready in the past, you might want to consider having blood panels drawn at her yearly appointments to keep an eye on everything.
If it were me I would probably have the blood drawn now even if she seems to start feeling better just to rule out kidney problems etc.
post #7 of 16
Actually fresh pumpkin you prepare yourself would be much better... there's no additives and it hasnt been sitting in a can for awhile!
post #8 of 16
Fresh pumpkin is fine, but she needs to see the vet immediately. I don't think constipation is her main problem.
post #9 of 16
I hope the vet will help, because I also doubt the pumplin affair. The symptoms are too serious ....
post #10 of 16
Yes, a visit to the vet is called for. As far as fresh pumpkin is concerned, that's fine. I either slice and bake it, lightly greasing the pan with a smidgen of margarine, and smash it with a fork, or I cut it into small chunks and cook it in the microwave with a little water. You can also mash the cooked pumpkin with a little cat milk, i.e., lactose reduced milk.
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat
Yes, a visit to the vet is called for. As far as fresh pumpkin is concerned, that's fine. I either slice and bake it, lightly greasing the pan with a smidgen of margarine, and smash it with a fork, or I cut it into small chunks and cook it in the microwave with a little water. You can also mash the cooked pumpkin with a little cat milk, i.e., lactose reduced milk.


What do you bake the pumpkin on and how long do i leave it in the oven, and how long do i leave it in the micorwave :-), You can tell i dont cook that much, my cat is having a similar problem
post #12 of 16
I bake it at about 200° C for 30 - 40 minutes, i.e., until soft. Our microwave gets it soft in about 12- 15 minutes, stirring twice, but that would be for a half to a full pound in a covered Pyrex dish.
post #13 of 16
just for general knowledge, pumpkin in a can has been pre-cooked- so cooked pumpkin is perfectly acceptable.

I would though, take this cat into the vet and ask for a senior panel to be done.
post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 
I sliced the pumpkin into little pieces and boiled it for about 25 min.Then I smashed it with A fork and mixed it in with some of her wet food and she ate all of it.The next morning she went poop She is feeling much better she is pretty much back to her normal self.I got the results back from her blood work and everything was normal.So I guess she just didnt feel good maybe she had ate something bad? I dont know. Im so relieved its not anything seriuos.I want to think everyone for the input It helped me alot!
post #15 of 16
What great news, send good wishes to your darling
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosdum
I sliced the pumpkin into little pieces and boiled it for about 25 min.Then I smashed it with A fork and mixed it in with some of her wet food and she ate all of it.The next morning she went poop She is feeling much better she is pretty much back to her normal self.I got the results back from her blood work and everything was normal.So I guess she just didnt feel good maybe she had ate something bad? I dont know. Im so relieved its not anything seriuos.I want to think everyone for the input It helped me alot!
That's great news, and I'm glad the pumpkin worked. That's "TCS Tip #1" to me, because you don't see it elsewhere, and it works like a dream (on dogs, too.)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Can I use fresh pumpkin