TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › I found this story (for women)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I found this story (for women)

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
I found this story and think it is important to share it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051111/...patch_warnings


~SARAH~
post #2 of 21
I use these to regulate my cycle.

Now I am wondering if I should stop.
I am 45 yrs. old.
I have only been on them for a few months.
post #3 of 21
I`ve never taken birth control pills or anythingthing else like it....but it just ticks the He** out of me that they come out with new products that sound so good and easy to use....and then a few years later it`s like "oops", guess there are bad side effects after all. I think often people are used like test animals and it really mades me mad!
Linda
post #4 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampit3d
I`ve never taken birth control pills or anythingthing else like it....but it just ticks the He** out of me that they come out with new products that sound so good and easy to use....and then a few years later it`s like "oops", guess there are bad side effects after all. I think often people are used like test animals and it really mades me mad!
Linda

Ohhh I agree!!!!
I have used these since they were very first introduced! Which was right after my second daughter was born and she is now 4.
I have never had any problems associated with the patches but reading this story made me sooooo scared!!!
I think we are their test rats!!!
post #5 of 21
Jesus I've been on the patch for eight months. I'm going to see my dr on monday.

Thank you Sarah!
post #6 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sims2fan
Jesus I've been on the patch for eight months. I'm going to see my dr on monday.

Thank you Sarah!
Your very welcome!!
When I read this story I felt a little betrayed.
I knew I wanted everyone I know to know about this!!!
I also am seeing my doctor on Monday.
post #7 of 21
I hate these people! What are we lab mice? How can they do this to us
I feel really betrayed
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sims2fan
I hate these people! What are we lab mice? How can they do this to us
I feel really betrayed
I've been on the Patch for a year or so now. It's the only think that I could use that didn't require me to wear a big alarm watch OR make my hair fall out. Darn it.

This may explain why I was SO DARN SICK when I first started taking it. I couldn't handle any smells, and I could barely stand up I was so dizzy - it was all that estrogen, which I am very sensitive to. I thought I was crazy, because it looked to be the same small amt. of estradiol as many pills. Turns out I wasn't nuts. That's gratifying, but I'm not happy about the risk of blood clots...

Time to consult with the gyno!
post #9 of 21
Thread Starter 
I am so happy that this story has brought the fact that these patches aren't "all that" we thought they were.

Please women friends of TCS... educate all of the women in your lives about this.

Who knows.... we could keep this from happening to more women who have chosen to trust this company.

~SARAH~
post #10 of 21
Oh my gosh! I'm so glad I chose the pill over this! I have sensitive skin so I figured I better not risk putting it on my skin...for once...thank God for sensitive skin!I'll be passing the information on. I do know a few people who use it.

Blueberrybeth, you sond like a friend of mine. She gets that way with any bc and refuses to take it. Fortunately for her, she doesn't really care if she gets pregnant.
post #11 of 21
Blueberrybeth can you let us know if your gyno says anything about it? I'll do the same when I get back rom my doctor.
post #12 of 21
I've been on the patch for 18 months and I'm not worried at all. There is no history in my family of blood clotting or hypertension and I'm not suffering from pre-hypertension, either.

I volunteer for a women's clinic and can tell all of you ortho users this: this is an internet news article designed to scare teh %*#)# out of everyone. Those are certainly risks, but you must have a family history of those disorders in order to be at risk. Or a smoker or obese, and generally, we don't prescribe the patch to anyone with any of those precautions. Those women should be taking synthetic progestin. Also, the risk of getting a blood clot from the patch, if 3 times more, is like 3 in 1000 instead of 1 in 1000.

So calm down!
post #13 of 21
A friend of mine was on this patch....shes my age (24)

Anyhoo she woke up and her leg hurt like heck, she couldnt move it, when she inspected her leg it was swollen...she went to the hospital....

they found that it was a clot in her leg....after having a body scan they found she had a clot in her lung.....if her leg hadnt swollen the one in her lung would have killed her easy......

shes 24 with no history of blood clots, she doesnt even smoke or drink, and she almost died.......

anyways thats the story i have....
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebula11
A friend of mine was on this patch....shes my age (24)

Anyhoo she woke up and her leg hurt like heck, she couldnt move it, when she inspected her leg it was swollen...she went to the hospital....

they found that it was a clot in her leg....after having a body scan they found she had a clot in her lung.....if her leg hadnt swollen the one in her lung would have killed her easy......

shes 24 with no history of blood clots, she doesnt even smoke or drink, and she almost died.......

anyways thats the story i have....
My friend developed a clot in her lung from the pill at 18...she had no history either, but someone in her family had had a (yes, singular) blood clot before, so that automatically puts her at risk. These things are extremely hereditary.

Also, maybe if we hadn't set the feminist movement back several years, we'd have safe, effective and reversible contraception by now.

IMO, if you're worried about this, you should also be worried about the soaps you use, the shampoo you use, the cleaning products you use and, most scarily, if you use anti-perspirant. Now, that stuff is toxic.
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

Also, maybe if we hadn't set the feminist movement back several years, we'd have safe, effective and reversible contraception by now.
.

Just curious about what you mean by "we" and what did the "we" do to set the movement back?
(not rhetorical..I really am curious as to what you mean)
post #16 of 21
I got off the pill because I was concerned about the side effects. I was on the patch for about six months. One of the perks of being at the clinic I worked at was free birth control. They stopped getting it though, which is when I stopped. The risks associated with the pill were just too high for me. I agree that women need to talk to their doctors to discuss risks and decide for themselves if they fall into a risky category. Honestly though, at the clinic I worked for they would not give the pill or the patch to any woman over 40, as your risks of heart disease, stroke, and blood clots increase significantly.
post #17 of 21
I just wish it was as easy for us to get spayed as it is for our cats. Some of us really do KNOW that we don't want kids - not now, not ever.
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanhb
I just wish it was as easy for us to get spayed as it is for our cats. Some of us really do KNOW that we don't want kids - not now, not ever.
I would love to get spayed also, or Jake to get neutered but they don't make it easy for us, especially at our age.
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveysmummy
Just curious about what you mean by "we" and what did the "we" do to set the movement back?
(not rhetorical..I really am curious as to what you mean)
"We" as in a collective everyone (obviously in a blanket statement like this, there will be exceptions), but males, females, society...everyone is a guilty party when it comes to the apparent death of a unified feminist movement. I'd reccommend picking up the final quarter copy of Bitch Magazine (I'm not cursing, it's a legitimate publication) or Maureen Dowd's latest book, both of which deal with this topic.
post #20 of 21
Getting "fixed" shouldn't be all that complicated.
I had a tubaligation after my daughter was born in 1983.
I was 23 yrs. old.

If you are positive you do not want kids I would definitely ask your Gyn. about it.
post #21 of 21
I tried the patch for about 3 months. I noticed my cramps were ALOT worse and my cycle was ALOT heavier. I also got dizziness and get this, ended up pregnant! Never did when I was on the pill. I didn't know I was pregnant until I had a miscarriage and went to the doctor to find out why I was having such a hard time w/the patch and the heavy flow. Ended up finding out the estrogen level was too high and ended up pregnant and then miscarrying because of the estrogen also. I never went back on the patch. I use the pill... it's more proven to be effective...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › I found this story (for women)