TheCatSite.com › Forums › Cat Breeds, Breeding and Showing › Showing and Ethical Breeding › Purebred Adult Male Bengal - Rescue ... Question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Purebred Adult Male Bengal - Rescue ... Question

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
I recently took in 3 purebred Bengals (retired breeders) as part of my rescue. The two females have already been placed, but I still have the remaining adult male. This BIG guy is awesome, but still very much intact and a spraying maniac!!!! I would love to keep this fella for myself, as he is awesome and sweet as can be. I am going to be having him neutered very soon! What I am wondering, is after so many years of being a stud cat and such habitual spraying ... will he likely stop spraying once he is neutered, or will he continue? I would hate for this guy to have to live his life in my garage because he won't stop spraying. Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks,
Kim
post #2 of 15
I dont know but IF you are looking to adopt him out I might be intrested///
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim's Kitties
I recently took in 3 purebred Bengals (retired breeders) as part of my rescue. The two females have already been placed, but I still have the remaining adult male. This BIG guy is awesome, but still very much intact and a spraying maniac!!!! I would love to keep this fella for myself, as he is awesome and sweet as can be. I am going to be having him neutered very soon! What I am wondering, is after so many years of being a stud cat and such habitual spraying ... will he likely stop spraying once he is neutered, or will he continue? I would hate for this guy to have to live his life in my garage because he won't stop spraying. Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks,
Kim
Kim....my understanding is that neutering a male does greatly reduce the incidence of spraying. I hope the females were spayed before you placed them.

Katie
post #4 of 15
Welcome to the oh-but-so-wonderful world of keeping an intact male cat! They are simply ~lovely~ creatures, aren't they? *tongue in cheek*

While neutering may reduce the spraying behavior, it may not stop it completely. The one saving grace to this is that a neutered male's urine (spray) doesn't have nearly the odor as an intact male's does.

Best of luck,

~gf~
post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNR1
Kim....my understanding is that neutering a male does greatly reduce the incidence of spraying. I hope the females were spayed before you placed them.

Katie
I strongly advocate the spaying and neutering of all of my rescues. Hence, the whole reason I am in rescue!
post #6 of 15
An ex-stud may continue to spray after he has been fixed. In most of my experiences they have.
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim's Kitties
I strongly advocate the spaying and neutering of all of my rescues. Hence, the whole reason I am in rescue!
Great!! BTW...good luck with the male.

Katie
post #8 of 15
Whether he will continue to spray or not, will depend a huge degree on his environment after neuter.
If he is an only cat, where no other cats have sprayed before and a feli-way diffuser is installed 1 week prior to his arrival, it's a very good possibility that he'll settle in and not spray. No guarantee's though, but the idea is to hedge your bet.

Sometimes the mere sight through a window of another cat in the yard, will trigger a spray response in a neutered male.

If he's put into a situation with other cats, he may still feel the need to mark his territory, unless he feels completely un-threatened and is instant alpha cat. Unlikely scenario.

I have 4 intact adult male bengals and none of them spray. 2 of them are in our home and the other 2 are in our cattery. It's 90% environmental factors that make these guys spray.

Good luck!
post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals
Whether he will continue to spray or not, will depend a huge degree on his environment after neuter.
If he is an only cat, where no other cats have sprayed before and a feli-way diffuser is installed 1 week prior to his arrival, it's a very good possibility that he'll settle in and not spray. No guarantee's though, but the idea is to hedge your bet.

Sometimes the mere sight through a window of another cat in the yard, will trigger a spray response in a neutered male.

If he's put into a situation with other cats, he may still feel the need to mark his territory, unless he feels completely un-threatened and is instant alpha cat. Unlikely scenario.

I have 4 intact adult male bengals and none of them spray. 2 of them are in our home and the other 2 are in our cattery. It's 90% environmental factors that make these guys spray.

Good luck!
Thanks for your input. I guess time will tell ... but this big boy is definitely getting neutered!
post #10 of 15
What will you do if the neutering doesn't make him stop spraying? Can you fix up an outdoor run or something?
post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45
What will you do if the neutering doesn't make him stop spraying? Can you fix up an outdoor run or something?
Yes, I will have to do that. We already have an outdoor cat-fenced yard that will probably have to be his home. I sure hope the neutering works though.
post #12 of 15
I'm curious........how does a rescue get a hold of 3 intact "retired" breeder bengals?
Are you a bengal specific rescue?

If you got thses cats from someone who is a bengal breeder and is still breeding, I'd sure like to know who it is.
post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 
I don't even know what his Breeder name was ... he was going through a messy divorce and needed to place them quickly. That's all I know.
post #14 of 15
Kim you can purchase www.zero-odor.com and knock down the smell quick enough after the neuter. I would honestly scrub the whole room with the stuff. The last rescued male I had was neutered at age 7 I got him two weeks later and in days had cat urine on my ceiling in the bedroom! I heard about this product and decided to try it and by golly it worked!


Good luck!
post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hissy
Kim you can purchase www.zero-odor.com and knock down the smell quick enough after the neuter. I would honestly scrub the whole room with the stuff. The last rescued male I had was neutered at age 7 I got him two weeks later and in days had cat urine on my ceiling in the bedroom! I heard about this product and decided to try it and by golly it worked!


Good luck!
YIKES! I hope it doesn't come to that! Thanks for the idea though ... I'll look into that product!

Kim
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Showing and Ethical Breeding
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Cat Breeds, Breeding and Showing › Showing and Ethical Breeding › Purebred Adult Male Bengal - Rescue ... Question