TheCatSite.com › Forums › Feral Cats and Rescue › Cats S.O.S › New here, and sad today :(
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New here, and sad today :(

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
I happened across this site as I was looking for info regarding lost cats. What a great place! My girlfriend's cat, "Sophia" got out Sunday night, and hasn't been back since. The cat was in heat, and we think she was looking for a tomcat. Yes, I know, she should have been fixed, but right now we just want her back, and we will take care of getting her fixed.

To further complicate things, I live two hours away, so I couldn't get to my GF's house until yesterday. I looked ALL day for the cat, shook the box of food, called her name, etc. I have also contacted the local SPCA, put an ad in the paper, talked to neighbors, and called the local animal control as well. I also went across the road to a farm, which of course would be the logical choice for a female to find a mate, saw a few cats that resembled her, but again, no luck. I also placed her favorite tuna out, but it appears not to have been touched.

I have cats of my own, and I feel really bad for Sophia. I'm wondering, wherever she is, is she safe? is she eating? I consider her my own as well, and feel so lost at this point. My GF says to give up after a week, but I say never give up hope. She is skittish, but I think she eventually will come back, especially once it gets cold. Any other ideas? Thanks. BTW, I'm not a "post and run person", or one who bolts after getting questions answered, so I will be here as often as I can.

Gil
post #2 of 26
Welcome to TCS, Gil! {{{Prayers & vibes}}} for Sophia's safe return. It may take a while for her to complete her "assignment", so please encourage your girlfriend to have patience - a week "on the lam" isn't very long for a cat. Even if Sophia mates, she can still be spayed; in fact, she can be spayed when she is already "showing". It's hard to have done, esp. if you don't like the idea of abortion, but unless you can guarantee the kittens (and who knows how many that can be) each a good home, where they are neutered, given immunizations, etc., they are better off not being born, because life can be really cruel to a cat.
Please tell your girlfriend that I am so sorry that she is going through this difficult time - the "not knowing" is the worst part, and each minute ticks away in hours.
To Sophia - PLEASE COME HOME SOON, SAFE & SOUND!!!
I hope to read a happy post from you very soon, announcing Sophia's return. Please remember to keep us posted! Hugs to you all, Susan
post #3 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknowme
Welcome to TCS, Gil! {{{Prayers & vibes}}} for Sophia's safe return. It may take a while for her to complete her "assignment", so please encourage your girlfriend to have patience - a week "on the lam" isn't very long for a cat. Even if Sophia mates, she can still be spayed; in fact, she can be spayed when she is already "showing". It's hard to have done, esp. if you don't like the idea of abortion, but unless you can guarantee the kittens (and who knows how many that can be) each a good home, where they are neutered, given immunizations, etc., they are better off not being born, because life can be really cruel to a cat.
Please tell your girlfriend that I am so sorry that she is going through this difficult time - the "not knowing" is the worst part, and each minute ticks away in hours.
To Sophia - PLEASE COME HOME SOON, SAFE & SOUND!!!
I hope to read a happy post from you very soon, announcing Sophia's return. Please remember to keep us posted! Hugs to you all, Susan
Catsknowme,

Thank you so much! I have been on edge since Sunday, but am slowly adjusting. I will also take solace in the fact regarding what you said about her "mission". I honestly think when she is ready to come back, she will, and not on our timetable. I just hope she is safe and sound, wherever she is. I have also found that for the most part, people are kind and caring when it comes to animals, so I hope whoever she encounters on her journey, they will treat her humanely. Thanks again!

Gil
post #4 of 26
Gil,

Sending good vibes that she will come home really soon. Let us know please.
post #5 of 26
A week is too soon to give up.I would keep the hope that she would return......in her time!!! When she's done having "fun", she'll come home.
I would also get her spayed ASAP!! Even if she's been bred, she can be spayed.Our Vet will do that up until they "show" also.I know alot of people are against that, and you need to go by your beliefs.I personally think there are too many homeless kittens out there needing homes, and wouldn't hestitate to have an early pregnancy spay.
post #6 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite
Gil,

Sending good vibes that she will come home really soon. Let us know please.
I sure will, Yosimite! Thanks Hopefully, I will be able to display this icon when she comes back!
post #7 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittermom
A week is too soon to give up.I would keep the hope that she would return......in her time!!! When she's done having "fun", she'll come home.
I would also get her spayed ASAP!! Even if she's been bred, she can be spayed.Our Vet will do that up until they "show" also.I know alot of people are against that, and you need to go by your beliefs.I personally think there are too many homeless kittens out there needing homes, and wouldn't hestitate to have an early pregnancy spay.
Thanks, Crittermom..I promise we will do that when she does. I would rather do an early pregnacy spay than contribute to the already large number of homeless kittens. It's a tough decision, but probably the best.
post #8 of 26
When our indoor/outdoor cat came into heat we would hear her , sometimes see her but she came in on her schedule. She is spayed now so that is not a problem.
Has your girlfriend set out food??? Or how about something with her (your girlfriends) scent on it (like a tshrit/sweatshirt?) Has she heard "cat sounds" females in heat make quite distinctive yowls. You could hear the tomcats too.
I would not "write this cat off" When she comes back she will be really tired. Just don't let her out.
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil
I happened across this site as I was looking for info regarding lost cats. What a great place! My girlfriend's cat, "Sophia" got out Sunday night, and hasn't been back since. The cat was in heat, and we think she was looking for a tomcat. Yes, I know, she should have been fixed, but right now we just want her back, and we will take care of getting her fixed.

To further complicate things, I live two hours away, so I couldn't get to my GF's house until yesterday. I looked ALL day for the cat, shook the box of food, called her name, etc. I have also contacted the local SPCA, put an ad in the paper, talked to neighbors, and called the local animal control as well. I also went across the road to a farm, which of course would be the logical choice for a female to find a mate, saw a few cats that resembled her, but again, no luck. I also placed her favorite tuna out, but it appears not to have been touched.

I have cats of my own, and I feel really bad for Sophia. I'm wondering, wherever she is, is she safe? is she eating? I consider her my own as well, and feel so lost at this point. My GF says to give up after a week, but I say never give up hope. She is skittish, but I think she eventually will come back, especially once it gets cold. Any other ideas? Thanks. BTW, I'm not a "post and run person", or one who bolts after getting questions answered, so I will be here as often as I can.

Gil
Hey Gil...here is some advice...I hope you can find your girl...BTW...I live in Northern VA!

Best Friends Radio recently interviewed Kat Albrecht, author of The Lost Pet Chronicles, and she gave some very good advice on finding a lost cat:

Most people don’t differentiate between searching for a dog and searching for a cat, which is a huge mistake, because they are like apples and oranges. Cats are territorial, so when an indoor cat escapes outside, they feel displaced into unfamiliar territory. A displaced cat (and also an injured or sick cat) will hide and they will be silent. So walking around and calling the cat’s name doesn’t work.

What that cat does is to look for the first place where she can hide, and she will stay there. We’ve had people who have recovered their cats six weeks later, and the cat was two houses down, living under the neighbor’s house or under their deck.

We’ve actually recovered lots of cats by treating them like ferals and setting a humane trap. These cats will sit there and watch and even listen to their person calling, but they will usually not respond.

Eventually, some of them will reach a threshold point between the seventh and tenth day where they finally do meow or they go into the humane trap, but many of them, especially the ones with skittish temperaments, just continue to hide.

As for a cat who is used to going outside, we really do advocate making your cats indoor-only. However, if an indoor/outdoor cat does go missing, it may be that they’ve been chased by a dog or beat up by another cat. They may run into an unfamiliar area, and they may hide in fear as well, or than can be transported out of the area by crawling into a car or the back of a truck.

Outdoor cats are still territorial. They don’t generally travel great distances by themselves, so they’re going to be found within their territory or just beyond it. You’ll want to get into your neighbor’s yard to search under their porch, under their house, and in potential areas where the cat is trapped, because, again, the behavior of an injured or sick cat is that they will crawl in or under something that’s familiar to them and they will hide. And again, they won’t answer your call.
post #10 of 26
Just want to add my good wishes for a safe return of this kitty. Also, I do agree that she should be spayed ASAP! Please let us know how the search is going!

Kim
post #11 of 26


First off welcome to TCS!! I'm sorry to hear about your girlfriends cat!! I think you have gotten excellent advice so far, and I can't wait to hear about her happy return home!!

Prayers and good vibes!
post #12 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailC
When our indoor/outdoor cat came into heat we would hear her , sometimes see her but she came in on her schedule. She is spayed now so that is not a problem.
Has your girlfriend set out food??? Or how about something with her (your girlfriends) scent on it (like a tshrit/sweatshirt?) Has she heard "cat sounds" females in heat make quite distinctive yowls. You could hear the tomcats too.
I would not "write this cat off" When she comes back she will be really tired. Just don't let her out.
Thank you, Gail..I have told her to keep putting food out, and will try the sweatshirt method as well. Ususally, any other time, she would hate being outside, so I think now she's on a mission. Thanks again.

Gil
post #13 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddensmom


First off welcome to TCS!! I'm sorry to hear about your girlfriends cat!! I think you have gotten excellent advice so far, and I can't wait to hear about her happy return home!!

Prayers and good vibes!
Thanks, Maddensmom. I'm glad I found this site. What a great bunch of caring and compassionate people. I actually feel better today, so hopefully that's a good sign!

Gil
post #14 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNR1
Hey Gil...here is some advice...I hope you can find your girl...BTW...I live in Northern VA!

Best Friends Radio recently interviewed Kat Albrecht, author of The Lost Pet Chronicles, and she gave some very good advice on finding a lost cat:

Most people don’t differentiate between searching for a dog and searching for a cat, which is a huge mistake, because they are like apples and oranges. Cats are territorial, so when an indoor cat escapes outside, they feel displaced into unfamiliar territory. A displaced cat (and also an injured or sick cat) will hide and they will be silent. So walking around and calling the cat’s name doesn’t work.

What that cat does is to look for the first place where she can hide, and she will stay there. We’ve had people who have recovered their cats six weeks later, and the cat was two houses down, living under the neighbor’s house or under their deck.

We’ve actually recovered lots of cats by treating them like ferals and setting a humane trap. These cats will sit there and watch and even listen to their person calling, but they will usually not respond.

Eventually, some of them will reach a threshold point between the seventh and tenth day where they finally do meow or they go into the humane trap, but many of them, especially the ones with skittish temperaments, just continue to hide.

As for a cat who is used to going outside, we really do advocate making your cats indoor-only. However, if an indoor/outdoor cat does go missing, it may be that they’ve been chased by a dog or beat up by another cat. They may run into an unfamiliar area, and they may hide in fear as well, or than can be transported out of the area by crawling into a car or the back of a truck.

Outdoor cats are still territorial. They don’t generally travel great distances by themselves, so they’re going to be found within their territory or just beyond it. You’ll want to get into your neighbor’s yard to search under their porch, under their house, and in potential areas where the cat is trapped, because, again, the behavior of an injured or sick cat is that they will crawl in or under something that’s familiar to them and they will hide. And again, they won’t answer your call.
Thanks, TNR1..I live in MD, but my GF lives in PA.I had a feeling that calling her would not work. She was probably right under my nose, lol. I think the best thing to do is just wait. BTW, she is an indoor only cat, and so are mine. I never let mine outside, as there are just too many dangers out there. Anyway, thanks a lot for the thoughts and advice.

Gil
post #15 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim's Kitties
Just want to add my good wishes for a safe return of this kitty. Also, I do agree that she should be spayed ASAP! Please let us know how the search is going!

Kim
Thanks, Kim..That will be the first thing we do for sure!
post #16 of 26
This site was set up to help people who have lost cats- www.lost-pets.org Hope you have a good recovery!
post #17 of 26
I would still go out calling for the cat, even if she won't come to the call. It will be a big comfort to the kitty who is hiding and scared, if she hears her person calling. And maybe you will get lucky, and she will meow.

Check sheds, garages, knock on neighbors doors.

Never give up. Check the newspaper ads and call the shelters, too. Best of luck in finding your gf's kitty!
post #18 of 26
Beckiboo is right - continue alerting neighbors, and esp. school kids, because they seem to know the most about what's going on in their local animal community. In fact, there's a strong chance that some kid walking home from school may "find" your GF's cat & keep her inside. My Joey went missing during a supervised outing, and apparently followed some kids who were hiking nearby; after 24 hrs. of frantic searching, ads on radio & in newspaper, a car pulled up to the bottom of our driveway (it's a steep hill of about 1/8mile long) and a few seconds later, Joey was meowing his head off at the front door. Guess the parents heard the ad on the radio, but chose not to collect the $100 reward; at least they did the right thing & returned my cat!
BTW, how is your GF holding up?? I am so glad that she has you to take care of her during this difficult time. Please let her know that I've seen some amazing miracles from the TCS "board magic"!!!
post #19 of 26
Hi, im so sorry for you sad news, I have lost two cats by them going walk about and so I know how much it hurts not knowing. My cat often goes missing for a while at a time and I always get her back by 'asking for her safe return' Im not a religious person but it has worked EVERYTIME I have asked. Give it a go, you have nothing to loose. Good luck xx
post #20 of 26
Lots of vibes and prayers for Sophia's safe return! Catsknowme is right. TCS board magic has been known to produce miracles.
post #21 of 26
my cat went missing whilst on heat and despite my frantic searches and actually seeing her on several occassions with a local tom cat, she didnt return until she was good and ready a week later.

I would guess she's over the farm, with so many potential mates and no doubt a reliable food source of mice and rats.

keep looking and dont give up hope!!
post #22 of 26
I am sorry to hear about this kitty.

Have you tried http://www.catsinthebag.org/ - they have excellent tips or

http://www.pet-detective.com/ , which also has wonderful rescources for finding lost cats. Most cats never wander all that far and are often hiding quite close to home. Cats can become almost feral very quickly - in their behaviour - and will be even scared of your girlfriend so the best advice is to trap the cat as if she were feral. Get a safe trap and place it near where she was last seen. Use her fav food and treats. Or draw a grid of the area - read these sites and you will find some better advice than I could rhyme off here.

Good luck! And I hope this kitty is spayed as soon as she is found so she doesn;t get wanderlust again! <g>
post #23 of 26
Thread Starter 
Thanks to all of you..So far, nothing yet, but I haven't given up. I will head back up next week,and hopefully she will be back by then. I will definitely check out those sites many of you mentioned as well
post #24 of 26
Thread Starter 
Nothing yet on Sophia..I'm going up this weekend, and will try to get up around 2 or 3 AM Sunday..I'm sure she will be searching for food then. Honestly, though, I'm beginning to lose hope, though.
post #25 of 26
i think your gfs cat has traveled to germany to get married to my neutered boy and escaped on some sort of cat honeymoon
My cat got out saturday and hasnt been back!
How rude of them not to invite us..
post #26 of 26
Thread Starter 
Hi, fwan..Nothing from Teufel yet? Just don't give up..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cats S.O.S
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Feral Cats and Rescue › Cats S.O.S › New here, and sad today :(