TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › loney kitten
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

loney kitten

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
should i get another kitten i have a 4 month old kitten and a 6 year old cat but they dont get along. The kitten looks lonly she trys to play with the older one but she growls and hits her. i dont know if i should get a kitten till this one has all its shots and spayed.should i wait till she has them down ?
post #2 of 16
Thread Starter 
she has lots of toys but she gets brod of them eacy.
post #3 of 16
Maybe I missed something, but has your kitten been to the vet yet for her first check up and round of tests for feline leukemia & feline HIV to make sure she doesn't have those?

How long have you had the kittten?

(trying to help...) :-)
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyis_mykitten
should i get another kitten i have a 4 month old kitten and a 6 year old cat but they dont get along. The kitten looks lonly she trys to play with the older one but she growls and hits her. i dont know if i should get a kitten till this one has all its shots and spayed.should i wait till she has them down ?
Wait until this one has received all it's shots and is spayed and then get it a friend. Typically getting a kitten for a much older cat isn't a good idea as it is like asking an adult to put up with a baby...if you do get a kitten it's best to get 2 so that the older cat can decide whether she wants to participate in the play or not.

Katie
post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNR1
Wait until this one has received all it's shots and is spayed and then get it a friend. Typically getting a kitten for a much older cat isn't a good idea as it is like asking an adult to put up with a baby...if you do get a kitten it's best to get 2 so that the older cat can decide whether she wants to participate in the play or not.

Katie
i already have a kitten and a cat i dont want to more just onemore.
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keef
Maybe I missed something, but has your kitten been to the vet yet for her first check up and round of tests for feline leukemia & feline HIV to make sure she doesn't have those?

How long have you had the kittten?

(trying to help...) :-)
no it has not gone to get its fisrt check up at the vet yet i will soon tho.
post #7 of 16
Yes, it's a good idea to get another kitten, and your big cat will get used to them both in time if you leave them to it to sort out their own pecking order. It doesn't sound like you've had your little kit for very long and so the big one will swat and growl for quite a while to come, until she settles down and no longer feels as though her territory has been invaded. But another kit is a very good idea.
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!
Yes, it's a good idea to get another kitten, and your big cat will get used to them both in time if you leave them to it to sort out their own pecking order. It doesn't sound like you've had your little kit for very long and so the big one will swat and growl for quite a while to come, until she settles down and no longer feels as though her territory has been invaded. But another kit is a very good idea.
i have had the kitten since it was born we had her mother but she ran away when she was 2 months old.my older cat has known they kitten since it was born.
post #9 of 16
I have 2 kittens and 1 older cat. She wasn't fond of either but now its been about 5 months and she is starting to like one of the kittens. Still can't stand the other though! The kittens are happy because they have each other to play with and if our older kitty is playful then she will join in (just don't get to close or she might decide she wasn't playings!).
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyis_mykitten
i already have a kitten and a cat i dont want to more just onemore.
I think that is a good idea. Kittens are much happier if they have a friend to play with and your older cat will be glad that she is not being pestered so much. Plus another homeless kitten will get to grow up in a home instead of on the streets or maybe even worse. So everyone wins!
post #11 of 16
Make sure you can afford to properly care for another kitten.
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
i willim going to get her some more toys 2 tomaro.
post #13 of 16
We got zazu and after about three weeks We knew he needed a bud and then we found Mojo. Zaz we call the spaz and Mojo is mellow Mo. But I think it was the best thing to do. They have become very tight.

I will tell you that it might be good (If you get one) to find a kitty close in age to yours. It helps with the bonding to have to cats with the same intrestest (playing and eating )
post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 
she will probly be 5 threw 8 monthes when i get a kitten should i get a 6 threw 4 month kitten ? what age should i get and should i get more toys if i get another kitten?
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyis_mykitten
she will probly be 5 threw 8 monthes when i get a kitten should i get a 6 threw 4 month kitten ? what age should i get and should i get more toys if i get another kitten?
That is completely up to you. I Think (which could be wrong) that cats of a close age bond quicker then cat of a wider age range. This is only my opinon and personal experience. But it worked for us and the two we have are thick as thieve good luck!!!!!!
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyis_mykitten
no it has not gone to get its fisrt check up at the vet yet i will soon tho.
Sorry, I'm still stuck on the fact that the kitten has not yet been to the vet and hasn't had tests for FIV/FLV or shots yet...I'd do that before thinking about getting another one.

Guess I am just a stickler because I would want to make sure that the kitten you have now is healthy and doesn't have something that could be passed on to your older cat.

Don't mean to sound like such a grumpy gal over here, I just know that I adopted a kitten that looked healthy, took it straight to the vet before going home (thankfully) and found out the kitten had a rather tough case of roundworms, an eye infection and the beginnings of an upper respitory infection - oh, and the vet found one flea. Thankfully, FLV/FIV negative.

That's an awful lot for a kitten that quite honestly looked to be perfectly healthy, no eye discharge visible, no nasal discharge visible, the couple times she sneezed, the person adopting her out told me it was due to dust in the house (they were in the process of moving out of state and it was dusty---I was sneezing too).

Just imagine if I had brought all that into my apt and didn't realize it?

I just tend to err on the side of caution...I wouldn't want anything bad to happen with either your kitten or your older cat - or you for that matter.

Sorry this is so long.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › loney kitten