TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Now, be honest, how many of you...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Now, be honest, how many of you...

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
....wander around imitating the Supernanny???

`That's just not asseptable'

`You can spend five minits on the nawty spot. That's one minit for every year of age'

We just can't help ourselves and it never ceases to crack us up!!

I love that show...lol
post #2 of 25
Personally I think that show should be banned. I think it's hideous. Perhaps parents with unruly children should be getting help from someone who actaully HAS children - and instead of telling them what awful parents they are, could be a little more sympathetic as to how hard it is to raise them. Yes, some parents truly are terrible, but way to kick them when they're down. Stuck up moo... she always drove me up the wall.
post #3 of 25
Thread Starter 
Really?? Wow - I thought she was very educational! I mean, she is bossy and firm, but I think that many of those parents go to her because of exactly that.

But I have to confess, I've only watched it once or twice and so probably can't pass comment because I haven't seen it that often...
post #4 of 25
I can't watch it because the kids really irritate me, but she obviously knows how to do her job well because of the end results
post #5 of 25
As for her skills, no comment but she is funny to watch. I always play around with Gabe and we tell each other to go into the naughty corner. It cracks us up! But telling parents as it is from an outsiders view could be the wake up call that they need to see that their kids are just horrible! And gotta admit, some of them are just awful!!!
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiemac
I can't watch it because the kids really irritate me, but she obviously knows how to do her job well because of the end results
100%

I love her, I think she's brilliant. I'd love to have her confidence.. kids these days honestly
post #7 of 25
I admire her talent.
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnofsierra
I admire her talent.
Yes *nods in agreement*
post #9 of 25
i love that programme ! I think she is brilliant
post #10 of 25
I think she's excellent, she certainly has much more patience than I could ever have!
post #11 of 25
ah but you see, what people fail to see is the fact that she is PAID to have patience. if they were her own kids, it would be a different story, which makes her no better than anybody else.
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilleKat
ah but you see, what people fail to see is the fact that she is PAID to have patience. if they were her own kids, it would be a different story, which makes her no better than anybody else.
Yes but she is a trained nanny, she obviously wanted to be in that career and to work with children
post #13 of 25
AS far as im concerned every country has a different nanny,
The supernanny here in germany is wonderful and she actually has her own children.
post #14 of 25
That's probably true, but that still doesn't detract from the fact that the experience you can gain from actually having your own children is is invaluable. I woudln't take advice from a complete stranger telling me how to raise my own children. But this is just personal opinion. I just find her overall manner obnoxious. Each to their own
post #15 of 25
I do it! I love that show, and she has so many good ideas. She also has a book in the LTD catalogue. You have to be firm with those parents, they obviously have no idea what they are doing or they wouldn't have asked for help! And changing someones set patterns is hard, she needs to be bossy! She really only gets "catty" when they laugh at her or act like they don't want to improve, or she sees the kids doing really bad stuff that should have been paid attention to, like wandering in the street at two years old, with no one watching.
post #16 of 25
Never seen it
post #17 of 25
I don't watch it much because the kids drive me crazy. I'm guessing we are probably seeing the "worst of the worst" but still... I can't believe what brats they are. I would NEVER have gotten away with that kind of behavior when I was a kid.

I don't think it really matters that Supernanny doesn't have kids of her own. You spend enough time around kids, you learn a lot about how they tick. And I think she brings a certain amount of objectivity. Parents often have so much emotional investment that they can't be objective, therefore they are ineffectual at recognizing and solving problems.

LOL, I would love to see a show about "Supercatbehaviorist!" The expert could visit homes where there are naughty cats and solve all their problems!
post #18 of 25
I love watching her show. I have to say though, that those children make me happy that I don't have any.
post #19 of 25
I have to admit, I think that shows like Supernanny and Nanny 911 are outrageous. I can't stand when people who DON'T have children try to tell me how to raise mine. Or people who's children are as old as my parents (50-60s) tell me what Im doing wrong. Times have changed ALOT since thier kids were little!
post #20 of 25
"that's not asseptable"

LMAO! I love that! I always crack up!
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyCity
I don't watch it much because the kids drive me crazy. I'm guessing we are probably seeing the "worst of the worst" but still... I can't believe what brats they are. I would NEVER have gotten away with that kind of behavior when I was a kid.
I don't think it really matters that Supernanny doesn't have kids of her own. You spend enough time around kids, you learn a lot about how they tick. And I think she brings a certain amount of objectivity. Parents often have so much emotional investment that they can't be objective, therefore they are ineffectual at recognizing and solving problems.
I agree with you!!

I understand not wanting other people to tell you how to raise your own.
With some of these kids, someone needs to take control. If they are hitting a parent at 4yrs old can you imagine what they will be capable of at 15yrs old.
Gives me the heebie jeebies just thinking about it.
post #22 of 25
I love the show! I just hope that my kids are never that bad...but usually at the end of the show, the kids are all changed for the better, right?

I have only seen a few episodes, but I like it!
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyCity
I don't think it really matters that Supernanny doesn't have kids of her own. You spend enough time around kids, you learn a lot about how they tick. And I think she brings a certain amount of objectivity. Parents often have so much emotional investment that they can't be objective, therefore they are ineffectual at recognizing and solving problems.
Yup, I totally agree with that. And I love Supernanny and Nanny 911.

And...totally off topic but I can't stop laughing because Tola just stuck her little head in my big mug of latte, and I guess she inhaled a bit of foam or maybe licked a bit of coffee and promptly sneezed, licked her lips and ran away!! Next thing you know she'll be begging for coffee AND food in the morning!! LOL.

Ok, back on topic!! I don't think you have to HAVE kids in order to understand them, rather, having kids enables you to better understand what it's like to be a parent. But these parents need help with thier children's behavior AND parenting style. And in the end, the supernanny or nanny 911 always makes things better and run smoother, so that has to tell you something.

ALTHOUGH - i did watch nanny 911 last weekend and one of the things she immediately stopped was the kids sleeping with the mom and dad. I"m not sure I agree with that, I mean, that is the mom's choice, and I didn't quite understand what that had to do with the kid's behavior. I am undecided on the kids sleeping with parents issue. I think if I had gotten to sleep with my parents I would have been more secure with their love, and myself as a person. But hey, who knows......

What do you all think about that?
post #24 of 25
This is a rather interesting, yet loaded topic for me. I am a live in housekeeper and nanny myself. My employers were my friends for a decade before they had Connor, my little charge. No I don't have kids of my own.

I would never have the nads to say even a fraction of the things this lady gets away with saying to parents. Although there have been a few times when I really wished I could.

Supernanny, (The UK version) just rocks. I'm not that good but there are a lot of power issues between me and the mom of my family. Still I do get ideas and tips from that show sometimes.
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by journey
ALTHOUGH - i did watch nanny 911 last weekend and one of the things she immediately stopped was the kids sleeping with the mom and dad. I"m not sure I agree with that, I mean, that is the mom's choice, and I didn't quite understand what that had to do with the kid's behavior. I am undecided on the kids sleeping with parents issue. I think if I had gotten to sleep with my parents I would have been more secure with their love, and myself as a person. But hey, who knows......

What do you all think about that?

I think that a child should never be let to sleep int he parents bed every night. Even as an infant, it should havie a bbassinette in the bedroom, and then once it is meant to sleep through the night, be put in his or her own room, where they are expected to sleep. I mean if a kids sleeping with YOU everynight, when do you get mommy and daddy time?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Now, be honest, how many of you...