Today we took Quinn to Michigan State University veterinary teaching hospital, where they spent two hours with us doing various tests, talking, and exploring the different possibilities. It was a much more comforting experience than the previous vet.
While the vet still thinks that there is a distinct possibility of FIP, she knew more about it, and could tell us a bit more about our options if they are pretty certain he does have it. We need to wait for the titre results (although I know they are very inconclusive) because they can be a small piece of the puzzle.
What they did was an abdominal tap (they could not draw any fluid out..thank God)...they took more blood so they can test him for toxoplasmosis, and gave us some stuff to put him on at home. They took him off of the Clavamox that the other vet put him on, and put him on Clindamycin, which is the antibiotic of choice for toxo, and Interferon, a kind of immune system booster. They also gave us some food that will hopefully stimulate his appetite more (although he went right over to his kitten chow when we got home and gobbled a bit down). The other thing they gave us was an IV bag with solution and some needles, in case he is dehydrated- we are supposed to give that every 48 hours, but if he doesn't seem dehydrated, I don't think we have to. We left the vet feeling more positive, knowing our options, and that we didn't have to give up just yet.
I know we're not completely out of the woods, but if we do lose our baby, *knocks on wood*, at least we know we tried everything we possibly could.
Thanks again, everybody, for the support. Thanks also to Rene...I was feeling very helpless and like there was absolutely nothing I could do except wait until I got your reply.