TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Workout preference - Gym or at Home?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Workout preference - Gym or at Home?

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
If you work out, what do you prefer - going to the gym or home workouts?

And what do you do - pilates, yoga, aerobics, weight machines, treadmill, etc.? - and how often?

I gave up my gym membership last year and have been working out on and off by running around my neighborhood and also using tapes at home (the Firm and pilates). But lately I've only been doing crunches and push-ups. I went from doing 2 push-ups two years ago to doing 20!! (he he) I'm sure I could do more than 20, but I seem to have a mental block about doing more. After 20, I just collapse and say, OK, that's good enough for today! I also try to do about 40-50 crunches a day.

I still have a goal of trying to lose 10 lbs. and get stronger, though!
post #2 of 27
I try to work out at home! I do free weights and walk on the treadmill!
post #3 of 27
Neither.
post #4 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite
Neither.
Can I change my answer???
post #5 of 27
I just got a gym membership and I really like it. We have a new YMCA and it is really nice. If I tried to do pilates at home my cat's would sit on me, lol. I can give you better advice about the losing weight though. Unless you are actually obese you really shouldn't aim a goal to lose weight. Instead try in general just trying to get in shape. If your aren't pre occupied with a number it is easier. Running distance is a really good way to get in shape. It increases blood flow and helps you burn fat, plus there is the runners high, but that doesn't happen much. When I started working out I threw out my scale bc I was actually gaining weight (muscle weighs more than fat). and if you are shooting to lose inches, crunches can actually make your belly bigger bc they don't burn many calories, just make muscle under everything so it looks bigger. Good luck!!!
post #6 of 27
I don't like going to the gym. I prefer to take walks outside in nature. I used to work out inside my apartment with exercise equipment and aerobic tapes but I lost the motivation. In order to be motivated I have to get my butt out the door!
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalee
I used to work out inside my apartment with exercise equipment and aerobic tapes but I lost the motivation. In order to be motivated I have to get my butt out the door!
I can't get motivated doing anything at my house, lol my bed is too close, but that is why the gym is for me, even if I don't feel like weights, there is a wonderful pool!!!
post #8 of 27
30 minutes a day on my exercise bike....early in the AM, in my nighty, no teeth in, hair a fright...just before daily shower. What a sight for sore eyes, huh? (But then, who wants sore eyes???)
Linda
post #9 of 27
Morning is the best time!!! get's your heart pumping and boosts your metabolism all day.
post #10 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey
Unless you are actually obese you really shouldn't aim a goal to lose weight. Instead try in general just trying to get in shape. If your aren't pre occupied with a number it is easier. Running distance is a really good way to get in shape. It increases blood flow and helps you burn fat, plus there is the runners high, but that doesn't happen much. When I started working out I threw out my scale bc I was actually gaining weight (muscle weighs more than fat). and if you are shooting to lose inches, crunches can actually make your belly bigger bc they don't burn many calories, just make muscle under everything so it looks bigger. Good luck!!!
Yeah, I think I've always wanted to lose that *extra 5-10 lbs.*! My goal is really just to get toned and more flexible and strong, but you know, I think we all have this ideal weight we'd like to be (but I do know better)! I sure ain't 16 anymore!

I got rid of my scale a long time ago, too! I think I need to get back into running - not that I did TOO much running - but when I did more of it, it was a great all-over workout - esp. abs and lower half! My hubby's in the military so I know all the weight loss tips, too (when he was at home, he would put me through a lot of workouts at home and we'd run together sometimes). I want to join a gym again but I just have such a hard time spending any money these days! I know it'd be worth it, though, esp. if I could get a personal trainer for a while to help me get a real jump-start and finally meet my goals!
post #11 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey
Morning is the best time!!! get's your heart pumping and boosts your metabolism all day.
How often do you go to the gym and what do you do there? Do you have a regular routine?
post #12 of 27
Ok, it is work out at home for me, in my own time, my own way, without anyone watching me....I am trying my best to get into a 3/week routine on my treadmill...
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumosmom
Yeah, I think I've always wanted to lose that *extra 5-10 lbs.*! My goal is really just to get toned and more flexible and strong, but you know, I think we all have this ideal weight we'd like to be (but I do know better)! I sure ain't 16 anymore!

I got into Cross country running last year when I was a sophmore in highschool. I've kept up running a mile or two, but not the 5-6 like they had us do then. but it is great to be 16, lol I think we aquire that 5-10 pound thing in highschool, those girls are mean!!!
post #14 of 27
I do yoga at home every morning and I like to jog outside a few times a week, even when it is 15 below zero
post #15 of 27
I know I would never get myself to the gym--driving there, finding a parking spot, waiting for other people to finish using the machine I want, it drives me crazy! So I bought an elliptical machine a couple of years ago and a treadmill this year. I've been slacking off lately, but finally did 45 minutes on the treadmill today. My goal is to work out at least three times a week...I kinda go in spurts where I'm really good about it for a while and then stop completely for a couple of weeks. I have some small free weights and really should develop a routine with those but I never stick to it. I like to walk outside in the spring but it's too hot in the summer and there's no way I'm walking outside in the winter--I hate being cold!

I'm trying to lose those last 5-10 lbs too!
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionessrampant
I do yoga at home every morning and I like to jog outside a few times a week, even when it is 15 below zero
Weird question time! When you run and it's cold, do your teeth hurt? I'm sucking in so much air, my molars start hurting. It's not me grinding my teeth, and I don't have any problems eating cold food, but then again the food doesn't spend that much time in my mouth.


I run in the morning a few times a week, do my best to work in some yoga time, and hopefully will get back into taekwondo shortly. I don't do enough yoga to counteract the tightening up form running, so I hope the taekwondo gets me back to my gumby-like self.
post #17 of 27
Thread Starter 
I don't know about lionnessrampant, but my EARS get very cold when I run! Even when it was summertime (but I would run in the evenings). I need to use ear muffs, I think.
post #18 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey
I got into Cross country running last year when I was a sophmore in highschool. I've kept up running a mile or two, but not the 5-6 like they had us do then. but it is great to be 16, lol I think we aquire that 5-10 pound thing in highschool, those girls are mean!!!
Oh my gawrsh, you ARE a young-un!!! Wait till you turn 30 - that's when I noticed the little tire 'round the midsection. Mind you, it is more like a bicycle tire than an 18-wheeler, ha ha, but still a tire nonetheless!
post #19 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddle
My goal is to work out at least three times a week...I kinda go in spurts where I'm really good about it for a while and then stop completely for a couple of weeks. I have some small free weights and really should develop a routine with those but I never stick to it.

I'm trying to lose those last 5-10 lbs too!
Yup! I hear ya!
post #20 of 27
I like working out at home because I don't like the idea of touching the equipment all those sweaty people touched. I have been though, and I like the camaraderie. I have a Gazelle, a treadmill, a Total Gym, a balance ball, a step thingy, pilates DVDs, yoga DVDS, Tae Bo DVDs (I like Billy, he's friendly), Strip DVDs (they're really fun and make you feel really great) and I do freestyle dance a lot because it's fun.

I read in a health magazine that it's better to concentrate on what you're doing and how your body is feeling when you work out to get the most benefits from it, instead of watching TV or listening to music (although I still do on occasion)--so, dancing is something I can do with music, which makes it a lot more fun!

I do pilates (with or without the Total Gym), yoga, and/or balance ball once a day, and then in the afternoon I do the Gazelle, Treadmill, Step, Dance, Tae Bo, or Strip DVD. How long I do it depends on what I'm doing. I want to get good and sweaty so I know my heart is working hard, then I go for at least 10 minutes more. It takes a while for me to get sweaty because my body doesn't like to sweat. I just get really red and then I'll eventually sweat. I'd rather go outside and walk, but there's no place to around here, and it's hot & humid 50% of the year.

Even though I know how wonderful it feels, I still have to kick myself in the butt to get going again if I take a couple days off. Talking about it makes me want to go sweat, but I just took a shower.
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsRNmom
Ok, it is work out at home for me, in my own time, my own way, without anyone watching me
I DETEST being watched while I work out. I'm doing pilates. I used to go to the gym a little with a friend. I'd go with her for a month and be doing great, then I'd start having near 'blackouts' so I stoped going. That happend several times. I finally told my DR and she sent me to a cardiologist. Then I got sick of dr visits so I didn't go back right away. Now she's deployed (military dr) and I can't see her. She thinks I may have exercise induced athsma since the other tests came back good. (But then I didn't think that dr believed me anyway...and I TOLD him it always takes a solid month of working out before the symptoms start.) So pilates is good for me now. I havn't been doing it too long or too faithfully, but the low impact helps.

Now convincing my DH that this is how I should work out is another thing. He's a cardio nut and I can't stand it. I had a heart problem as a kid and even though all the tests came back good this summer I'm not ready to jump into a cardio routine. I just really don't like it. Besides, I'm no where near in the shape he is. I told him I don't think we'll ever really be good workout partners....at least not any time too soon!
post #22 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles
Now convincing my DH that this is how I should work out is another thing. He's a cardio nut and I can't stand it. I had a heart problem as a kid and even though all the tests came back good this summer I'm not ready to jump into a cardio routine. I just really don't like it. Besides, I'm no where near in the shape he is. I told him I don't think we'll ever really be good workout partners....at least not any time too soon!
I cannot work out with my DH, either! He's in the military so he works out every single day and has a lot more stamina than I do. We've run together a few times and he *coaches* me at home doing exercises, but there's no way I can match him for fitness level.

I think your pilates workout sounds great! I've done a beginner pilates DVD and it does feel good! You really sweat, too.
post #23 of 27
I go to the YMCA 3-4 times a week. I really love it there, its so great to have somewhere to go to work out! Especially now with it being so cold outside, I get so cold whenever I walk outside, so then my work out is cut short!
I usually walk at least 5 miles on the tredmill and then do the bike for another 2-3 miles, I've already lost 10 lbs in the last month, yay for the YMCA!
post #24 of 27
I do both. I work out at the gym 4 days a week. I alternate days with cardio and weight training. When I work out at home I do Power 90, it is a 90 day bootcamp, mixed with treadmill. Great workout, you start slow in the beginning and work your way up.
post #25 of 27
When is start working out it'll be at home not the gym. I don't like using equipment other people have sweated all over...I know I'm neurotic I have bought a Tae Bo DVD recently...just trying to get around to working it into my routine...
post #26 of 27
I work out at Curves. I used to work out at home (Tae Bo and Crunch Pilates), but then I got this job and my company actually reimburses employees' gym expenses (I guess in order to encourage healthy habits among employees).

I love Curves. The other women are very encouraging and I get a complete workout in 30 minutes! I do a lot of toning at home though- abs and thighs, usually when I'm watching TV.
post #27 of 27
I really need to get back in the habit of working out. I used to have a membership to the gym but was on eof those people that never made it there. There was always something else that needed to be done. I have a gazelle at home and would love to have a treadmill. My parents have a treadmill though so when I move back home, I'll be on it everyday. I love that thing. Nine months before then though, I'll have to figure out something else in the mean time.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Workout preference - Gym or at Home?