TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Excited
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Excited

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
Its almost that time where we are going to get Harley fixed. John was 100% towards getting him declawed, and I was trying and trying and trying to get him to understand that he doesn't need to be, so yesterday, I was telling him about some info I found on here about it, and he finally agreed that Harley won't be declawed, I'm so excited!!!

I just really had to share because after I researched it all on here and talked to many of the members, I realized how it really doesn't have to be done at all.

Thank you to everyone for your valueable and helpful information, Harley thanks you all!!
post #2 of 21
Alright! High Five!
post #3 of 21
TCS saves another kitty from this horrible disfiguration and pain.

post #4 of 21

I love claws!!
post #5 of 21
That's great! I think a lot of people simply don't realise what it actually entails. When we first got the boys, we just assumed we'd get them declawed & neutered as it was advertised everywhere and seemed the thing people do these days. Well, I'm glad I researched it! No way would I do that!!
A friend told me that it's actually quite hard to find a vet in NZ who will do the declaw. Whereas here in North America, it seems very common.
post #6 of 21
Hooray! I had a kitty that had been declawed by a previous owner, and that poor baby suffered so much. It's good she was old and wasn't much longer for her time here by the time I got her; I can't imagine the suffering she went through.

Tell John thank you for us!
post #7 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushylady
That's great! I think a lot of people simply don't realise what it actually entails. When we first got the boys, we just assumed we'd get them declawed & neutered as it was advertised everywhere and seemed the thing people do these days. Well, I'm glad I researched it! No way would I do that!!
A friend told me that it's actually quite hard to find a vet in NZ who will do the declaw. Whereas here in North America, it seems very common.
Same here, we were just going to get them both done at the same time, until I did some lengthly research here and realized that Harley will not be getting that done!
post #8 of 21
Excellent!

I thought Sunny was going to attack the cashier at the pet supply store when we were checking out with some Feline Pine, mentioned that we were just trying it out and she said, quite nonchalantly "Oh yes, it's supposed to be good to use after declawing surgery too." I could tell he was gritting his teeth and boy! did he vent when we were outside !

Honestly, the boys are 7 months old now and after showing them the scratching post, mildly chiding them a few times at first when they put claws into anything else while putting them back on the post and telling them what good boys they were when they used it, and also keeping their claws clipped, I've NEVER seen them put claw to anything other than their post!
post #9 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke
Excellent!

I thought Sunny was going to attack the cashier at the pet supply store when we were checking out with some Feline Pine, mentioned that we were just trying it out and she said, quite nonchalantly "Oh yes, it's supposed to be good to use after declawing surgery too." I could tell he was gritting his teeth and boy! did he vent when we were outside !

Honestly, the boys are 7 months old now and after showing them the scratching post, mildly chiding them a few times at first when they put claws into anything else while putting them back on the post and telling them what good boys they were when they used it, and also keeping their claws clipped, I've NEVER seen them put claw to anything other than their post!
Do your boys use Feline Pine?? I tried using it the other day with Harley and he wouldnt use it!!!
post #10 of 21
Yay!

my aunts friend is going to declaw their kitten.. I am trying to talk them out of it.. and all she says is that the kitten is destroying everything and that shes so mischievous.. well, shes a kitten.. of course shes going to be.. geesh.
post #11 of 21
Great decision!!
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leto86
Yay!

my aunts friend is going to declaw their kitten.. I am trying to talk them out of it.. and all she says is that the kitten is destroying everything and that shes so mischievous.. well, shes a kitten.. of course shes going to be.. geesh.
Why doesn't she try those "soft claws"? I've never used them myself, but will certainly consider it if needed. My kitties wil NEVER be declawed!
post #13 of 21
Yeah Harley! It is wonderful that you did all the research that you did, prior to making a final decision.

HANDSOME HARLEY IS KEEPING HIS CLAWS!!!!!
post #14 of 21
Oh thank goodness for that! Give me their claws anytime because they let me know when they want my attention
post #15 of 21
My sister had her cat Yoda declawed about 6 years ago and he is fine I thought about declawing Salem and Isis only for a split second. I got online and looked at the pictures and read up on the gruesome procedure and was horrified!!!!!!!!! I didn't know that they were actually cutting off parts of thier toes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I literally got sick and picked up my babies and hugged them and kissed them and promised that this mommy would never EVER hurt them on purpose! I still want to cry when I think about it.
post #16 of 21
Such wonderful news! Good for you for knowing and presenting the facts, Mackenzie!
post #17 of 21


That's excellent news, Mackenzie! I'm so pleased that you managed to convince John that the procedure is not required!

Take it from us in the UK - our homes aren't all torn to shreds because we have kitties!
post #18 of 21
I too did`nt realize that declawing was anything more than pulling out the nails while they were under......I had not known that it was actually amputations of the ends of the toes till I saw it online. Totally made me sick!!!! (I cried too Moms2Salemisis)
Thansk for not declawing Baby Harley! Wise decision there!!!!
Linda
post #19 of 21
Thread Starter 
Thanks everyone, I'm so excited about him not having to go thru all of that pain and suffering!

I showed John the articles and he totally understands where I'm coming from-he never knew that it was so horrible and painful for the cats, most places just offer it like a meal deal - a neuter and declaw, (do you want fries with that too?) They never even gave me the facts about it at the vet, they just offered it like it was supposed to be that way!

Thank goodness for TCS, Harley thanks you all very much!
post #20 of 21
My prior vet offered the declaw the same way! I was ticked! My husband didn't think it was a big deal, but I said no way. We kept going b/c they were close, we knew we would be moving anyway and it would have been a lot of trouble to change. The new vet- which was recommended by a lot of people- actually gave me a kitten kit with tons of brochures, including one from soft claws when I brought the new babes in. I have clipped the nails from day one, had plent of scratch furniture and toys. I also have microfiber furniture which they aren't interested in. So far they haven't even gotten into scratching the TP! Some of my wood has been scratched but that's the trade off. I found a kitty that was declawed- she was reunited with her owners, and she was defensive towards other cats, and had no qualms about trying to bite.
post #21 of 21
Good for you, and Harley! I'm glad you were able to convince John that it was not necessary to declaw. Maybe I should have had YOU talk to Joe when it was the hot topic in this household, because he never saw it my way. Thankfully, Sophie remains a healthy, happy girl.

Stretch those claws, Harley!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Excited