TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care › 2 feral cats had kittens in my yard! help!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2 feral cats had kittens in my yard! help!

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Two cats, who are pretty much kittens themselves had kittens in my backyard yesterday. I have been feeding these cats for a while and have tried to befriend them but they won't let me even touch them. I 'm not sure what to do with the kittens. I'm worried about them because it is cold outside. Also, one of the moms is not very attentive to her babies and leaves them alone. I also feed the father cat, I haven't seen him since the kittens were born, will he try to harm the babies?
post #2 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by nah515
Two cats, who are pretty much kittens themselves had kittens in my backyard yesterday. I have been feeding these cats for a while and have tried to befriend them but they won't let me even touch them. I 'm not sure what to do with the kittens. I'm worried about them because it is cold outside. Also, one of the moms is not very attentive to her babies and leaves them alone. I also feed the father cat, I haven't seen him since the kittens were born, will he try to harm the babies?
I would suggest contacting one of the groups below and see if they can help you to trap the moms, the dad and the kittens. Dad could certainly harm the kittens and if one of the mom's is not being attentive to her kittens, they could be sick and need medical attention. The dad will definately need to be neutered...the mom's will need to be spayed. If the kittens can be socialized, they can be placed into homes.

http://www.alleycat.org/orgs.html#ca
post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
Looks like one of the little kittens has a wound on its head I don't think its going to make it.
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by nah515
Looks like one of the little kittens has a wound on its head I don't think its going to make it.
That is why I think it is best if you can get in touch with a group ASAP so that the remaining kittens, moms and dad can be trapped and looked over. Oftentimes, when feral mom's have several litters in a row, the second and third litters aren't as healthy as the first one. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Katie
post #5 of 18
Yes, please do let us know how things are going. Have you provided some kind of shelter so they can get out of the wind?
post #6 of 18
Hissy wrote a warning; it may be dangerous to trap the mom - great risk the kittens run away - and they alone will be of course lost a pityful death. But here is the exception: the kittens so small there is no risk they run away. So if you catch the moms it will be very easy to collect the smalls - but do it ASAP afterwards of course. One more thing: the smalls are very easy to domesticize when they in age 2-7 weeks. This one more reason to get them inside if at all possible. The moms young too you say, so they also have a good chance of being domesticized.

House tom cats very very seldom dangerous for small kittens - probably they feel it is family - many indoors toms are very friendly to kittens.
But feral toms MAY be dangerous to kittens - this is why feral moms are usually chasing them away very vigorously. Even a low-status mom does chase away the alfa-tom...
Take him in too if possible. If he not suitable to domesticize, he will be at least neutered. His live as neutered will be easier even as feral. He will be friends with the females, and other toms will not be hostile to him. He will do allright. And who knows? It is easier to be adopted as already neutered than a tom who cost to be neutered...

Do contact the groups you get adress to, and keep in touch with us!

Good luck!
post #7 of 18
Thread Starter 
Just an update... We built a shelter that both moms can fit in, it keeps them dry and warm. They seem to be sharing responsibility for both litters. The injured kitten must have died because it was just gone one day. The male cat is fine with the moms and kittens. I contacted a local agency who said that they are better off in my backyard then anywhere else at this point. The moms are so afraid of people that they would freak out if caught. They tolerate me, but hiss and run away if anyone else comes to close. They still won't let me touch them, but I think they know I am trying to help because they won't run away from me and they let me near the kittens.
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by nah515
Just an update... We built a shelter that both moms can fit in, it keeps them dry and warm. They seem to be sharing responsibility for both litters. The injured kitten must have died because it was just gone one day. The male cat is fine with the moms and kittens. I contacted a local agency who said that they are better off in my backyard then anywhere else at this point. The moms are so afraid of people that they would freak out if caught. They tolerate me, but hiss and run away if anyone else comes to close. They still won't let me touch them, but I think they know I am trying to help because they won't run away from me and they let me near the kittens.
They will certainly be better off in your backyard..but they need to be trapped so they can both be fixed. A cat can get pregnant again very soon after giving birth. A nursing cat can be spayed. I would highly recommend that you get a humane trap and trap both soon so they do not get pregnant again.

Katie
post #9 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNR1
They will certainly be better off in your backyard..but they need to be trapped so they can both be fixed. A cat can get pregnant again very soon after giving birth. A nursing cat can be spayed. I would highly recommend that you get a humane trap and trap both soon so they do not get pregnant again.

Katie

The guy I talked to said that they have 5 weeks til they can get pregnant again. I am going to take the male to get neutered next week.
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by nah515
The guy I talked to said that they have 5 weeks til they can get pregnant again. I am going to take the male to get neutered next week.
That's great that you are taking the male to get fixed. Not sure about the time between pregnancies....but as long as you have a plan to have both fixed, that is a good thing.

Katie
post #11 of 18
Good for you to make them a shelter! Also good for you to try to get them all spayed and neutered. Wow. That's a lot of cats to worry about. I would worry like Stefan said to not take the momma's and leave the kittens alone. It would be hard to trap mommas and kittens all at once but I think that would be best.
post #12 of 18
I see the tom is not only around but with them and very friendly to kittens. Like house toms often are. So the smalls have THREE adults protecting them. Splendid!

Yes, I see they have a lot better in the field shelter in your garden than in many other circumstances.

Try to touch and handle the smalls as much as possible. It they shall be tame domestic cats this is their big chance. To be handled by friendly human 2-7 weeks old is the easiest way.
post #13 of 18
Thread Starter 
I'm going to try to figure out how to post pictures so you can see how cute they all are!!
post #14 of 18
Here is information on how to post pictures:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14474

Katie
post #15 of 18
Thread Starter 
Here are some pictures of my babies! More to come...



post #16 of 18
Awwww...very cute!!! BTW..how did it go with getting the male neutered?? Are the females due for their spaying soon??

Katie
post #17 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNR1
Awwww...very cute!!! BTW..how did it go with getting the male neutered?? Are the females due for their spaying soon??

Katie
Everything went well with the male, Diego. The Mothers will get spayed soon!
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by nah515
Everything went well with the male, Diego. The Mothers will get spayed soon!
Excellent!!!

Katie
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care › 2 feral cats had kittens in my yard! help!