TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Why is this happening?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why is this happening?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
When I adopted Panther, Benji was delighted. They played till both were exhausted. Then suddenly in the last 2 or 3 weeks Benji is hissing at him and when Panther tries to play Benji attacks him.

Why is this happening? I kept Panther because Ben loved him so but now --- poor Panther cannot understand what happened to his loving brother!
post #2 of 19
Chances are good that one of the two cats is sick. When a cat has a low grade infection, his scent will change. This change in scent can trigger aggression in formerly friendly cats because to the aggressor it smells as if this is a new cat instead of his good old pal. OR....sometimes when ill a cat will become aggressive because he does not feel well.

Because this is a big change in behavior, please take Benji to the vet to be checked. If he is healthy, then take in Panther to see whether he is fighting an infection of some sort.

p.s. are they both neutered? If not, this is likely what is causing the problem.
post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsocats
Chances are good that one of the two cats is sick. When a cat has a low grade infection, his scent will change. This change in scent can trigger aggression in formerly friendly cats because to the aggressor it smells as if this is a new cat instead of his good old pal. OR....sometimes when ill a cat will become aggressive because he does not feel well.

Because this is a big change in behavior, please take Benji to the vet to be checked. If he is healthy, then take in Panther to see whether he is fighting an infection of some sort.

p.s. are they both neutered? If not, this is likely what is causing the problem.
They are both neutered but Benji does get sick to his stomach at times. <sigh> FIRST I have to get $350.00 to get Missy's teeth pulled and then maybe next month I can get Panther in. HE has chronic diarrhea but Benji had his tyroid removed and does seem to sleep alot - even though on Soloxine his thyroid is now normal!

Thanks for the suggestionS!!!!
post #4 of 19
Did you recently take one of them to the vet? Our Sunny will not only hide for a few days when we have taken Hobbes to the vet (her actual blood-related brother), but she will hiss at him, and has even on a couple occasions started fights with him!! And this is a kitty that has a VERY strong, beautiful relationship with him...but she does it EVERY time he's been at the vet! We think he just comes home not smelling like himself, and it freaks her out...and she stays thus until the scent wears off a few days later. Poor guy not only has to go to the vet, but he comes home ready to relax, and sister turns a bit insane on him!

Anyway, that was my first thought...
post #5 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by maherwoman
Did you recently take one of them to the vet? Our Sunny will not only hide for a few days when we have taken Hobbes to the vet (her actual blood-related brother), but she will hiss at him, and has even on a couple occasions started fights with him!! And this is a kitty that has a VERY strong, beautiful relationship with him...but she does it EVERY time he's been at the vet! We think he just comes home not smelling like himself, and it freaks her out...and she stays thus until the scent wears off a few days later. Poor guy not only has to go to the vet, but he comes home ready to relax, and sister turns a bit insane on him!

Anyway, that was my first thought...
<sigh> No nobody went to the vet. In a day they may play once and next time Ben is hissing!
post #6 of 19
I would get the one being attacked to the vet fairly quickly.
post #7 of 19
how serious is the attacking? I mean blood drawn and such?

Is it possible that they are fighting for alpha status? How long have they lived together? I just know my 2 went through an awful stage where they fought ALOT - it was terrible - not play fighting either - but after a couple of weeks it was sorted.

I am probably wrong, and your best to listen to others advise first about taking them to the vet if your very concerned.
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hissy
I would get the one being attacked to the vet fairly quickly.
Yeah, I agree. The only other thing that I can think of is that your attacked kitty might be sick, and has a different smell than usual because of it. It's a good indicator if there are no other symptoms.

I would take your attacked baby in as soon as you can, just to be sure.

Heck, maybe get them both checked. Better safe than sorry, ya know?

Here's hoping they're both just fine...
post #9 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by maherwoman
Yeah, I agree. The only other thing that I can think of is that your attacked kitty might be sick, and has a different smell than usual because of it. It's a good indicator if there are no other symptoms.

I would take your attacked baby in as soon as you can, just to be sure.

Heck, maybe get them both checked. Better safe than sorry, ya know?

Here's hoping they're both just fine...
It is my BELOVED WONDERFUL Benji that has something wrong with him. HE is suddenly NEEDING to escape and he attacked ME and wants nothing to do with me. Panther is young and cannot stop trying to play and Ben suddenly hates him too.

I am just heartsick as it appears Ben is just turning mean or has somehow at some time been brain injured. He appears the same but when he lookes at me " if looks could kill" and he looks at Panther the same way. I just do not understand.

HE goes to a new vet for a complete workup tomorrow and I am really considering puting him down. I cannot stop crying as i think he is sick in his brain or maybe being pulled up short on his harness one too many times has shook his little head and caused this. All I know is I cannot stop crying. He used to be such a dear loving young man and now suddenly ----!
post #10 of 19
Sweetie,

Take a deep breath and wait for the vet to give you a diagnosis. My Petunia, who never growled in the first 13 years I had her, one night suddenly growled and hissed when I touched her. It turned out that she was passing kidney stones from both kidneys and it was causing her a lot of pain. When we took away the pain, she became her sweet self.

Don't anticipate the worst. We will hope for the best.
post #11 of 19
Don't anticipate the worst - wait until you see the vet. I never thought about one of them being sick (since I am in a similar boat to you). Although my cats don't act sick. Boo, though, does throw up her dry food alot. I had a huge mess to clean up yesterday.
post #12 of 19
Yes...if he is sick or in pain then that is probably why he`s not acting like himself.
I know that whenever I was in pain from hard labor...I was temporarily "not myself" either...but when it was over with I returned to my "sweet self".
Seriously though...my prayer for your kitty is that it something found and fixed quickly.
We will be waiting to hear what the vet has to say.
Linda
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBabies
It is my BELOVED WONDERFUL Benji that has something wrong with him. HE is suddenly NEEDING to escape and he attacked ME and wants nothing to do with me. Panther is young and cannot stop trying to play and Ben suddenly hates him too.

I am just heartsick as it appears Ben is just turning mean or has somehow at some time been brain injured. He appears the same but when he lookes at me " if looks could kill" and he looks at Panther the same way. I just do not understand.

HE goes to a new vet for a complete workup tomorrow and I am really considering puting him down. I cannot stop crying as i think he is sick in his brain or maybe being pulled up short on his harness one too many times has shook his little head and caused this. All I know is I cannot stop crying. He used to be such a dear loving young man and now suddenly ----!

Awww...I'm so sorry. I hope things go well at the vet's. Never know...it could just be that something's going on with him physically that's easy to take care of, and it's causing him to be grumpy.

Let us know how it goes, ok?

Sending hugs your way...
post #14 of 19
How did the visit to the vet go?
post #15 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa1124
How did the visit to the vet go?
The Vet examined him and said he looked good. BUT he had not received the blood work back so I have to wait till he does and gets a chance to go over it.

Today for a bit anyway he asked for his treats, and ate, and even wrastled with Panther a bit. I DID not bring him back home through the front door but into the back where he got to chase a butterfly, and that put him in a better mood.

Looking at him today and yesterday and a few days before I think Maybe he did not feel good!
post #16 of 19
My Bella is much improved as well, even with Boo picking on her. I'm going out of my way to give plenty of attention to both. I still may take Boo to the vet for blood work. Do you know what the symptoms are for kitty diabetes?
post #17 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa1124
My Bella is much improved as well, even with Boo picking on her. I'm going out of my way to give plenty of attention to both. I still may take Boo to the vet for blood work. Do you know what the symptoms are for kitty diabetes?
I only know they DRINK water like a fish and flood the litterbox with their urine!

Benji's bloodwork is 100% right in the middle of normal. His problem is he is tired all the time. Panther never gets tired and always wants to play but Ben ----! We go out in the AM - both boys in the yard on a leash, and then Panther goes in with Missy and Ben gets to go out front.

USUALLY Ben is active in the AM but then comes in and sleeps till he gets to go out in the pm. Today he was tired in the AM but still not happy to come in. Then this afternoon he is still sleeping and either does not care about goign out or is just too tired!

I just wish I knew why he is so tired. This is happening suddenly and I guess I wonder if the change in the weather has anything to do with it. VET is perplexed!
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBabies
I only know they DRINK water like a fish and flood the litterbox with their urine!

Benji's bloodwork is 100% right in the middle of normal. His problem is he is tired all the time. Panther never gets tired and always wants to play but Ben ----! We go out in the AM - both boys in the yard on a leash, and then Panther goes in with Missy and Ben gets to go out front.

USUALLY Ben is active in the AM but then comes in and sleeps till he gets to go out in the pm. Today he was tired in the AM but still not happy to come in. Then this afternoon he is still sleeping and either does not care about goign out or is just too tired!

I just wish I knew why he is so tired. This is happening suddenly and I guess I wonder if the change in the weather has anything to do with it. VET is perplexed!

Maybe he's just getting older and entering a new phase in his life. Maybe becoming a grumpy old man? Sometimes cats do that when they're older. Maybe he just doesn't want to put up with all that "kitten/younger cat stuff". Does that make sense?

I hope things go well with him. Let us know how he's doing now and then, ok? My is with you guys.
post #19 of 19
Thread Starter 
Maybe he's just getting older and entering a new phase in his life. Maybe becoming a grumpy old man? Sometimes cats do that when they're older>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

WEll I could understand that except he is JUST 2 1/2! Today he was only out for an hour and then HE wanted in and did NOT want his treats!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Why is this happening?