Help! My cat peed on me while I was asleep!!!

kittykatgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yesterday I took my cat Kigomei to the vet because she had a rodent ulcer (ulcer on her lip). She wasn't too stressed out, she just got a steriod injection. But a couple of hours after I got home I was sitting in my bed and she was smelling my bum. She looked up at me and had her mouth open (every cat owner knows that look). I thought my bum smelled bad...turns out kigomei had just peed wear I was sitting. I changed the sheets and cleaned the bed and flipped the mattress over. I cleaned the little bit of stuff out of her litterbox and went to bed. Well, a couple hours into sleep I was dreaming of a warm liquid being poured on my crotch area. It wasn't a dream, I woke up it see Kigomei peeing right on my crotch. I had put one of those eggshell mattress covers, and another mattress cover, and a sheet on my bed. She had only peed through my thick comforter, my pants, and the top first mattress cover. I removed those and put yet another sheet on the bed , and got another blanket and eventually fell asleep again. Well I woke up about an hour later because she had yet again peed on my bed....AAAAHHHH
This time it wasn't on me, just beside me and I had rolled onto it. I changed all the bedding AGAIN. I thought she might be mad at me for taking her to the vets, or it might be because she needed her litter replaced. (Even though I had cleaned out her clumpling litter she needed new litter in her box because it still smelled)

Sorry for the long story but... I had to explain everything. Has anyone else had their cat pee on them before???? Is there any suggestions on what I should do?

PLEASE Help

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow! That is soooo odd. I think it would be wise to call your vet. That behavior is so odd that I can't help but think that your cat is having a reaction to the steriod injection.

Please call your vet and describe what happened, and let us know what the vet tells you.

pandora_0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Quite often when a cat urinates inappropriately it's because they have a urinary tract infection. Both of my cats were having this problem and after I got them on medication from the vet they have stopped peeing outside of their litterbox.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep I would think it was a result of a stressful vet visit or the steriod injection. Please call you vet and don't get mad at your cat, she couldn't help what she did.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
the only time one of mine has peed on me was when Cable was recovering from her spay surgery. she was sleeping on my chest that evening, & she did it in her sleep. i think she was just very sound asleep, & nothing like that has ever happened since. take yours to the vet - there's definitely something wrong, possibly a UTI.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittykatgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I called my vet and they said it is not uncommon and that I shouldn't worry. If she keeps on doing it they said to bring her in to test her for a uti. I am not really mad at her just concerned. They vet said basically everything you guys said, it could be because of the steriod injection, it could be because she was mad at me, or it could be a uti. My vet won't be back till monday so I am suppost to see if she does it again and if she does I will definately take her back in to the vet. I don't think she was mad at me though, because she slept right in between me and my arm as always purring the night away.

luvmykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cosi peed on my husband on our drive back home (even though the litter box was right within reach in the backseat). Turns out from our recent visit to the vet that she has a UTI which unfortunately after the first 2 wks of meds hasn't helped.

cyberkitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
YY did not urinate in me post her spay surgery but on my computer monitor - I had placed her next to me so I could watch her and work at the same time but she wanted closer so she got on the monitor. I would not have cared if the monitor had been blitzed - and the colours well went sort of funny, lol - I think she was sleepy and sort of still half out of it, poor baby!!

I too think it is the behaviour of an anxious cat but it would not hurt to consult your vet!

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittykatgirl

...... I don't think she was mad at me though, because she slept right in between me and my arm as always purring the night away.
Of course not, she loves you! cats know when they are being cared for.

cwinsten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a kitten (about 4 months) and we had not left her for more than a few hours (I work from home) since she was found. I had to go out of town for 2 days and when I got home and laid in bed, she climbed onto my shoulder and peed down my back. She was at the vet less than a week ago for her check up, so I don't think there is anything physically wrong. If she pees anywhere else, I'll get a sample to the vet, but I think she did it to let me know how she felt about our leaving her. Geez!
I've heard of cats peeing on your bed or in your shoes - I've never heard of one peeing right on you!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few days after we brought Lilly in, she peed on John's pillow while he was laying on it. Vet ruled out a UTI and she never did it again. We really don't know why, possibly stress, maybe marking... I really don't know.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago, when Sho was going to go in for his neutering we had to keep food away from for a few hours. Sho always has loved his food. He peed on DH in the middle of the night.

While that's a horrible way to wake up, one has to admit that it's sort of funny.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am surprised at how many have experienced this! I would think that this is extremely bad, possible sign of stress, but more likely a sign of counter reaction to the meds or shot she had received! This is not normal, I am shocked and disturbed that your vet would say it is! Has she ever gone outside of her litter?
This is very disturbing to me, she is obviously in major distress for her to urinate on you. Cats simply do not urinate where they eat, drink, sleep.............especially family. This is an extreme sign of distress!

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
milo peed on our bed when we first got him, but he was only 8 weeks old and i think he left it too late! only happened the once though.

i would agree that something isn't right.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

I am surprised at how many have experienced this! I would think that this is extremely bad, possible sign of stress, but more likely a sign of counter reaction to the meds or shot she had received! This is not normal, I am shocked and disturbed that your vet would say it is! Has she ever gone outside of her litter?
This is very disturbing to me, she is obviously in major distress for her to urinate on you. Cats simply do not urinate where they eat, drink, sleep.............especially family. This is an extreme sign of distress!
true. Pixel attemped to pee on me, once - she had a UTI.
anyone else notice how old the original post was?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

Oops, I didn't even notice until you said something!
i only noticed because i posted about Cable peeing on my after her spay [in her sleep] & said it was the only time one of mine had done that. Pixel did her little 'trick' a couple of years after that.

abstract

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I was young, I had a cat that would urinate on my bed almost nightly. He/she (we never knew for sure) only chose mine, and always in the same spot. Also never during the day, he/she always waited until I was in bed, asleep. Never figured out why - it wasn't particularly stressful, the litterbox was clean, the cat was healthy... *shrugs*. I don't think it was that he/she didn't like me... it was always me that the cat hung around. He/she also had a thing for urinating on trash bags.

kelicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
haha, the original post is very dated!!!

But since we are all here
I had a foster pee on me once during the night. What a gross and terrible thing to wake up too! Yuk! I was just glad it wasn't me, I was disoriented at first and felt the warm dampness, and thought I had wet the bed! I was mortified for about thirty seconds until I realized it was all over my knees