TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Can cats get dandruff?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can cats get dandruff?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
I noticed yesterday that Sashka has little flecks of white across her back - not too many - that look exactly like dandruff!!

Is this possible?
post #2 of 18
Yes.
post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
What can I do about it??
post #4 of 18
Is your kitty a little plump? When my boy cat was overweight a few years ago I noticed dandruff down his spine & the vet told me that it was because he was too rolly polly to clean himself properly! We put him on a diet & when he reached his target weight there was no more dandruff.
Amanda
post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 
No she's not! She's a tiny little thing - sooooo mini it's amazing for a fully grown cat - she still looks like a 6-month old kitten.

That's cute about your little boy - I can just imagine him trying to reach his back and just rolling over...lol
post #6 of 18
My vet told me that those little white specks can have something to do with fleas.
I forgot exactly what he said. Are you seeing any fleas on the cat.
post #7 of 18
You got it - that's pretty much what he looked like!

Maybe your baby just has dry skin...my cats take a fish oil supplement called DermCaps to promote skin & coat health, might be worth a try.
post #8 of 18
Tinsel had dandruff. We switched to a better cat food and brushed her and all was well!
post #9 of 18
Thread Starter 
I don't think she has fleas - I've never seen any on her and she doesn't behave as though she has them - no scratching or skittishness etc - but it's been a long time since she's had a flea treatment so might give her one to be sure...

It could well be her diet - we are currently investigating new foods for her so hopefully that will do the trick.
post #10 of 18
Many cats have dandruff. In fact, people who are allergic to cats...it's the dander they are allergic to, not the kitty hair. Try a little bit of cod liver oil....it's help condition the skin to reduce dander and also is a great hairball preventative.
post #11 of 18
When i took my kitty to the vet she told me that what looked like dandruff was something to do with flees. You should give her frontline or something.
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!
I don't think she has fleas - I've never seen any on her and she doesn't behave as though she has them - no scratching or skittishness etc - but it's been a long time since she's had a flea treatment so might give her one to be sure...

It could well be her diet - we are currently investigating new foods for her so hopefully that will do the trick.
look for foods with at least 3% linolaic acid aka omega 6
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmafcuk03
When i took my kitty to the vet she told me that what looked like dandruff was something to do with flees. You should give her frontline or something.
You shouldn't give her any treatment of any kind if you aren't sure she even has fleas or that something is actually wrong with her. If you are concerned why not just call your vet and talk to them.
post #14 of 18
There can be a lot of reasons why she has dandruff. Diet, living conditions, size etc
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmafcuk03
When i took my kitty to the vet she told me that what looked like dandruff was something to do with flees. You should give her frontline or something.
Pixel has this, & the other 2 don't. i think it's a combination of age & dry skin. Cable & Java eat the wet food they're given - Pixel's a dry food kind of cat, all the way. i'm planning to add a cod liver oil supplement for her to see if that will help. none of mine have fleas, so i know that's not the problem. try the oil supplement.
post #16 of 18
Wiggies has always had dry skin on his back too. The vet said he may just be lazy about grooming, but I've seen him grooming. It's not fleas, and Pushkin doesn't have it. He is a dry food guy though, like Pixel.
I'm wondering about the cod liver oil supplement. How much do you give?
Also, I've tried a spray on conditioner which I then brush in. Works temporarily, but Wiggies hates it.
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushylady
Wiggies has always had dry skin on his back too. The vet said he may just be lazy about grooming, but I've seen him grooming. It's not fleas, and Pushkin doesn't have it. He is a dry food guy though, like Pixel.
I'm wondering about the cod liver oil supplement. How much do you give?
Also, I've tried a spray on conditioner which I then brush in. Works temporarily, but Wiggies hates it.
one place i read about it said 1/2 a teaspoonful every 2-3 days.
post #18 of 18
My cat had it for awhile while he was on prednisone. Vet said that it was a side effects. I would make sure it wasn't fleas.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Can cats get dandruff?