Members - PLEASE read

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Once again, we mods are having to remove copyrighted material, from TCS. Just because something is on the Web, does NOT mean that it is free for the taking. This also applies to pictures and written material, that you may have received in an e-mail. If YOU didn't take the picture or YOU didn't write the item, please do not cut and paste or remote link them here.

Using copyrighted material leaves TCS open to legal sanctions, including Federal criminal prosecution and civil lawsuits.

If you have something funny or interesting and wish to share it, please post a link.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to post the link AND copy & paste the article to make it easier for those with slow connections. I got a PM explaining that that is not allowed. I certianly understand and haven't done it since - just wanted to pass it on.

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quotes and minimal excerpts with links for educational purposes should be allowable under "fair use." U.S. Copyright Office (section 107 is "Fair Use.") However unless it's pretty cut and dried I don't think I'd want to have to defend it in a court of law! Because like most of the law it can be open to wiiiiiiide interpretation.

emmysamson

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

I used to post the link AND copy & paste the article to make it easier for those with slow connections. I got a PM explaining that that is not allowed. I certianly understand and haven't done it since - just wanted to pass it on.
I was guilty of doing the same thing....got the PM notifying me on it as well.
But, how do we post links to funny or informative stuff that we get in our email?

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emmysamson

I was guilty of doing the same thing....got the PM notifying me on it as well.
But, how do we post links to funny or informative stuff that we get in our email?
Yup, guilty
, I slipped up once too

If you got a link in an e-mail, you can just copy/paste the link which will go to the original site. If you don't have a link (where somebody cut and pasted onto your e-mail) but you think it's REALLY important, you'll have to go searching for it on the web to see if you can find the original source that you can post a link to. Otherwise ...

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rhonda, it's like renting a DVD. If you rent a DVD and watch it in the privacy of your own home it's okay, but if you rent a DVD and play it in front of a public audience, that's illegal. You actually need a special license for that. In this case, TCS is the public audience and your email is your home privacy. Not everybody enforces copyright issues, but the ones that learn the importance of doing it survive longer. TCS has been around for a good 5 years now. We don't want it to go down because a photographer or writer filed a lawsuit. That's the best I can explain it.

However, people are allowed to post links rather than embedded images. For example, if you wanted everyone to read an article on cnn, instead of copying and pasting the text, (which is illegal) you could copy and paste the direct link to the article: www.cnn.com/some-article-i-liked.htm If it was a pic: www.cnn.com/some-funny-pic.jpg

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hydroaxe

Rhonda, it's like renting a DVD. If you rent a DVD and watch it in the privacy of your own home it's okay, but if you rent a DVD and play it in front of a public audience, that's illegal. You actually need a special license for that. In this case, TCS is the public audience and your email is your home privacy. Not everybody enforces copyright issues, but the ones that learn the importance of doing it survive longer. TCS has been around for a good 5 years now. We don't want it to go down because a photographer or writer filed a lawsuit. That's the best I can explain it.

However, people are allowed to post links rather than embedded images. For example, if you wanted everyone to read an article on cnn, instead of copying and pasting the text, (which is illegal) you could copy and paste the direct link to the article: www.cnn.com/some-article-i-liked.htm If it was a pic: www.cnn.com/some-funny-pic.jpg
Great explaination!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, to all of you, who DO understand and cooperate.

Thanks, to Ryan, for the extra clarification. Ryan is a lot more tech-savvy than I am.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for bumping this thread too, I'm not too techno savvy either!, I didn't realize it was a problem!, thanks for bringing it up!

rockinrhonda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hydroaxe

alrighty then i got it now
thow shall not copy and paste from other sites and post them here
But thall shall put a link in the site copy paste
ok im getting there
But thall shall not post a link to cnn
because my hubby is P.O at the tv channel cause the news is all bad so he said
uhm let me see what i can link you guys too
http://members.aol.com/sindel19/Thoughts/Dance.html

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Folks, I'm bumping this thread once again to remind you not to violate copyright. I've had to edit far too many threads this week because they contained copied and pasted articles and/or photos. Please provide links to any material you wish others to see.