Kitten with bloated tummy?

nakoruru

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I first took Pouncer to the vet, she said that Pouncer's rounded tummy was a result of worms. It's been a week since she got the deworming medicine, but her tummy doesn't seem to be getting any smaller. Are kittens supposed to be a little plump like that? And how long does it take for the deworming meds to take effect, and will her tummy get smaller after?

Maybe I'm feeding her too much? She gets a quarter of a can of wet food per feeding, four times a day. She's 5 weeks old.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The kittens I've seen at our rescue did have rounded bellies...but if you are concerned that the dewormer isn't working, I would give your vet a quick call.

Katie

girlieq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bella had the most adorable little belly when she was 12 weeks, but she's grown out of it now. I just assumed that it was due to her being a well fed kitten, rather than her having worms. She was treated for them, though, continuing the treatment that they started at the Humane Society.

Rowan never had a belly, but he was a couple hours from starving to death when he found me, and he's never caught up to Bella. He's still a bit skinny, but he eats as much as he wants, so whatever.

I wouldn't think that worms could make a kitten's belly too big, though. That many worms would eat a kitten alive, not just eat its stomach contents.

planetofthecats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It can take a month or so and 2 or 3 rounds of dewormer to get rid of all the worms. Within a few days of deworming, the killed worms should pass out of the cat in his/her stool.

Make sure that your kitten stays flea-free and take note of her stool. Ongoing diarrhea combined will a bloated belly could indicate something other than worms.

Generally, about 3 oz. of canned food per day for each 1 pound of body weight is fine for a kitten. At 5 weeks, your kitten should be about 1 pound or a little over, so a can a day sounds good for her.

blueberrybeth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nakoruru

When I first took Pouncer to the vet, she said that Pouncer's rounded tummy was a result of worms. It's been a week since she got the deworming medicine, but her tummy doesn't seem to be getting any smaller. Are kittens supposed to be a little plump like that? And how long does it take for the deworming meds to take effect, and will her tummy get smaller after?

Maybe I'm feeding her too much? She gets a quarter of a can of wet food per feeding, four times a day. She's 5 weeks old.
According to my vet, it's not uncommon for some kittens to have a bit of fluid in thier abdomens - this is very normal. However, it's good to have some follow up on the worms; one of my cats(adult) had a pot belly and it was because of roundworms. If she still does have them, you may see them in her stool. Contact your vet if you're still concerned.

Little kitties with healthy pot bellies are cute! My Butters has one - he is a little Buttersball!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nakoruru

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well i called the vet today since i was concerned. she said that as long as the kitten was eating, drinking, and going to the bathroom regularly, there shouldn't be a problem. she added that if her tummy seemed to get any bigger, to bring her in for an examination.

i'm taking Pouncer for her first round of shots next weekend anyway. i think it would be a good time to have a checkup on that tummy.

about seeing worms in her stool- i'm only home on the weekends, so mum is the one who usually cleans out her litterbox. so far i haven't seen any worms... but they might have come out when i wasn't around. :x

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At 5 weeks, if the kitten has been dewormed, having a bit of a rounded belly is normal, especially after eating. The amount you're feeding her sounds about right, she will stop eating when she's had enough so it's almost impossible to overfeed her at this age.

plar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitttie has the exact same problem, she's five weeks old as well and has been dewormed.
I feed the cat about 2.5-3 oz of wet food mixed with cat mill each day. She's pretty skinny except for her belly , I can easily feel her spine, her skull and her rib cage. She seems healthy, eats a lot, climbs a lot and seems generally active. I pressed down on her bloated belly, and she had no reaction, indication it isn't painful. Any advice or concern here?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens normally have a little round tummy. Takes a few days to get rid of worms. But what size can of food are you feeding her? If its the little 3 oz on, then 1/4 can is fine; if its the larger 6 oz can, then 1/4 of the is too much.

At 5 weeks old kittens really only eat about a teaspoon or so of canned food at a time. Where did you get her? 5 weeks is too young to be away from mom - they are still nursing at that age.

plar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Kittens normally have a little round tummy. Takes a few days to get rid of worms. But what size can of food are you feeding her? If its the little 3 oz on, then 1/4 can is fine; if its the larger 6 oz can, then 1/4 of the is too much.

At 5 weeks old kittens really only eat about a teaspoon or so of canned food at a time. Where did you get her? 5 weeks is too young to be away from mom - they are still nursing at that age.
My kitten is an rescue from an old farm. She probably has worms. Since both me and my wife works, we usually feed her twice a day, but leave the food out for her.

kat89447

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I usually do two rounds of deworming, of course most of my kittens have been feral rescue and they tend to get them worse. Also, you might start giving more of the dry kitten chow (with a little milk if needed) and less of the canned. The dry gives them the fat and protein they need without all of the filler cans can have. Most of my kittens were on wet for less than a month and only as a step to dry. Just my opinion, but I have less dietary issues with them on dry than on a mix or wet only.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kat89447

I usually do two rounds of deworming, of course most of my kittens have been feral rescue and they tend to get them worse. Also, you might start giving more of the dry kitten chow (with a little milk if needed) and less of the canned. The dry gives them the fat and protein they need without all of the filler cans can have. Most of my kittens were on wet for less than a month and only as a step to dry. Just my opinion, but I have less dietary issues with them on dry than on a mix or wet only.
actually, if you read labels, you'll see that canned has less 'fillers' than most drys. plus, it has liquids.

bbleho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm wondering how it worked out with your kittens (two posters with the same issue). I have the exact same concern right now with my 15 week old kitten. I gave him the first deworming tablet 4 days ago, with the next one due in 6 days. So far I'm not noticing any difference in his belly. It does seem to be bigger right after a meal, but it doesn't go away altogether. I've looked for worms in his poop, but no luck. My other kitten didn't have this big, firm belly.

marebear14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there,

My little 7 week old kitten has had a belly for the last 2 weeks, and was recently in to the vets office for an upper respiratory infection. While she was there we asked the vet to check her stomach to see if it was normal or worm infested and he said it was normal. Most kittens have a rounder belly, i think its so cute on her
. I have to say though to stay AWAY from the dry food. It is actually horrible for your cat nutrition wise. It is why there are soo many cats with diabetes and other problems. If you ever read the ingredients on even the most "healthy" dry food you'll see by-products, grains, wheat gluten and not to mention tons and tons of carbs. It dehydrates cats (in the wild cats get almost 100% of their water from their raw meat), and it causes them to have problems staying thin. The veterinarian I volunteered with highly suggests the raw food diet, but at the very least the wet food. It is processed completely different than dry food and is much safer (toxin-wise). Actually if they didn't spray hard food with left over bacon grease from restaurants, most pets would never touch the stuff cause of the horrible taste!

nadia antibear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got 3 kittens about 3 weeks old.2 of them died. the third one has bloated tummy.i don't know what to do now.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got 3 kittens about 3 weeks old.2 of them died. the third one has bloated tummy.i don't know what to do now.
He does need to be seen by a vet. Is there one where you live? If not, can you be more specific about what has been going on (diet, symptoms, ect)? With more facts people may be able to provide more advice. 

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is very likely to be caused by worms, but only a vet can really know and at that young age do not give the kitten any wormers not prescribed by your vet as many meds could kill her.

nadia antibear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i went to the vet i knew here but it was closed cause it was holiday. anyway thanks for the advises.. those kittens were from my study area..I managed to find a female cat for them but the kittens don't want. the third one died today while i was in college..the same way.. suddenly their stomachs flattened and died..no diarrhea. i'll ask again if i get another one.. sorry for my bad english..i'm still learning..