Siberian mixes?

joecool

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
someplace so boring i am slowly but surely losing
I'm new to this forum. I'm just a kid who likes cats.I have recently read about a hypo-allergenic cat, the Siberian. I wondered if people ever have bred siberians to other breeds to reproduce the hypo-allergenicity? I have heard of a guy with sphynxes who planned on doing so, but i'm not a sphynx fan(no offense, don't personally like the look). My dad is badly allergic to cats, and he probably won't let me get a siberian anyay, but I am curious. It seems a wonderful trait to breed for!
Secondly, I wondered if there are ever polydactyl siberians? I haven't seen any mentioned, but...
Lastly, I sorta wonder why so many of you continually bash each other, when it says at the registry that you will be kicked off if you do so? Aren't we supposed to be united by this common interest, instead of drawn apart by fighting? It doesn't seem right or nice.
Anyway, to the polite people here,
Joecool

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by joecool

I'm new to this forum. I'm just a kid who likes cats.I have recently read about a hypo-allergenic cat, the Siberian. I wondered if people ever have bred siberians to other breeds to produce the hypo-allergenicity? I have heard of a guy with sphynxes who planned on doing so, but i'm not a sphynx fan(no offense). Don't personally like the look. My dad is badly allergic to cats, and he probably won't let me get a siberian anyay, but I am curious. It seems a wonderful trait to breed for!
If you were to ask any physician who specializes in the treatment of allergies which cat is the most hypoallergenic, he would tell you there isn't one. If you were to ask breeders and owners of certain breeds about their allergic responses, many would tell you that certain breeds SEEM to cause less of a response in people. This is a highly individual thing as immunity and how the immune systems actually works in humans is something that may not always be the same for everyone.

Secondly, I wondered if there are ever polydactyl siberians? I haven't seen any mentioned, but...
Sadly, I do not know enough about the Siberian breed to answer your question.

Lastly, I sorta wonder why so many of you continually bash each other, when it says at the registry that you will be kicked off if you do so? Aren't we supposed to be united by this common interest, instead of drawn apart by fighting? It doesn't seem right or nice.
Good question, Joe! I often wonder the same thing myself, but as one of the Moderators of this forum and as a breeder, I think it is better to encourage discussion and debate. Unfortunately, sometimes that can get dicey if people don't wanna play nicey-nice in the sandbox. There are a lot of people who think that breeding cats for any reason at all is wrong and they can be very passionate in their beliefs. When people are passionate about something they tend to get uber-emotional about it and opposing views can sometimes turn into an all-out slap fest ... when this happens, we close the thread. Hope this helps to clarify.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joecool

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
someplace so boring i am slowly but surely losing
gayef said:
If you were to ask any physician who specializes in the treatment of allergies which cat is the most hypoallergenic, he would tell you there isn't one. If you were to ask breeders and owners of certain breeds about their allergic responses, many would tell you that certain breeds SEEM to cause less of a response in people. This is a highly individual thing as immunity and how the immune systems actually works in humans is something that may not always be the same for everyone.

Thanks for your prompt reply. However, a test was done on the siberian dander comparing it to ordinary cats' dander, and it carries one three-hundred-and-twentieth of the normal cats' allergy causing Fel-D1 protein. To most people who have dander allergies, this cat is hypoallergenic. In the test, the regular cat had 64,000 micrograms of the protein , while the siberian had about 200. Pretty neat, huh? They don't know why it is like that. You should look at www.siberiancats.com/allergies (if that doesn't work try allergy). Anyway, it has a bunch of testimonials from cat allergic people.
Thanks again,
Joecool

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Almost every purebred breed does NOT allow the polydactal gene - its undesirable. If it happens, its in the mixed breed cats. So you won't find a legit good Siberian breeder that has polydactal cats.

There is no such animal as hypoallergenic - some breeds cause less reactions, but many people are allergic to the saliva - not the fur. If your dad is highly allergic to saliva, then no cat would work. IMO the hairless sphynx would be more allergic since the cat does lick themselves.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to clarify something here, hypoallergenic does not mean allergy free, it mean less likely to cause reaction, so yes, some breeds are hypoallergenic and less likely to affect allergies than others.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Just to clarify something here, hypoallergenic does not mean allergy free, it mean less likely to cause reaction, so yes, some breeds are hypoallergenic and less likely to affect allergies than others.
BINGO ...

I have allergies and had a freind with a siberian ... at my peak allegy time I could nt be near that cat ... FYI I have outgrown much of my cat allergy over the yrs

(n)mabriga sibe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know in Uk they test one DNA one Siberians cats for this and I know it is Siberians has not have it at all.
I think it wood be possible to get hold of a lab report one the Siberians where this will tell the many sib have not fel-d1,
Many breeders as are very interest in this what Siberians missing are testing the kittens before they sell and they test every sib cat and fel d1 are not find we also test for Neva gen.