TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Now I`m totally confused!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Now I`m totally confused!

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
...which is`nt all that uncommon these days....but I read a post on "Fur Pictures Only" titles "Tortoise Shell Kitty Lovers?".....It showed beautiful cats that I would have thought were some type of Calico.
I thought my Toby was what was called a Tortoise Shell. (My grandmother had one like him years ago and his name was "Torty"...so maybe that`s why I thought that!)
Toby is a gray cat with big black stripes that swirl all over his body, creating almost circles in some places making him look like the "sections" that turtles often have on their shells.
SOOOO...If he`s not a Torty...or a regular Tiger...then what the heck is he???
Linda
post #2 of 21
I had the same problem because Rosie is down as a Tortoishell on her records at the vet, but i was told by one of our mods that because she has the white going down her front she's classed as a "Tortoishell Bi Colour".
post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 
Toby has no white on him at all. He looks like a black/gray tiger whose stripes got stirred up in the womb!
post #4 of 21
I think that tortoiseshell means two specific colours: black and ginger. And there are variations, like dilute tortoisehsell, with grey and cream. If there is white, that means that the cat is tortoiseshell (black and ginger) and white, or in North America, that's called Calico. It does depend on the amount of white present.

The cat you describe as grey with black patches would be a tabby, I think. And tabby cats can have stripes, or they can have those round rings of colour. Both are classic tabby patterns.

If you cat doesn't have ginger, he's not tortoiseshell, as I understand the definition. It doesn't actually refer to the pattern on the cat, it just refers to the colours.
post #5 of 21
Thread Starter 
Toby has developed some brownish/gold coloring on his underside as he has matured..and a bit on his face and paws...not really "spots"...more like shading.
So he`s a "Swirrly Tabby", huh?
Our other cat,Tedy, is yellow with regular stripes....so is he a "tiger" or a "Tabby"?
post #6 of 21
It sounds like you're talking about a classic tabby, which is a color pattern, not a particular breed or color.

Here's a link to an example:

Silver ASH tabby

They can be just about any color, with or without white.

My two are classic tabbies, although they don't have good patterning, it's hard to get good patterning in a longhair.
post #7 of 21
"Tiger" isn't used to formally describe a pattern. Tabby is a word used by breeders, and covers a lot of different patterns.

Here is a page that shows all the different patterns that are called tabby. I think that what you are calling "Tiger", is what they call Mackeral Tabby.

The most distinctive feature to look for, to decide of yours is a tabby cat, is to look at the pattern on their forehead. If there is a distinct "M", or two distinct upside down "V" markings, one over each eye, that indicates tabby.

One of my cats looks pretty solid ginger. But she has the M over her eyes, and in the right light, you can see the marble pattern on her sides, of light and darker ginger circles.

Hey, I just realised that's her in my avatar. You can see, pretty clearly, the blotchy lighter and darker patterns on her sides. She's a tabby cat.

Now, you are probably completely confused.
post #8 of 21
I distinctly remember reading somewhere that the swirl on the side is the mark of a classic tabby.

Check this site out. It does a pretty good job of explaining tabbies, I think.
post #9 of 21
I would have called Rosie just tortoiseshell! She looke just like my Disco (RB)

Molly is Tortie and white! It always confused me when people would ask if she was Calico!
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sar
I would have called Rosie just tortoiseshell! She looke just like my Disco (RB)

Molly is Tortie and white! It always confused me when people would ask if she was Calico!
i would call Rosie a tortie & white. Java is a calico - she is white, with black & ginger patches. Rosie is a brindled [mixed] black & ginger, with a small amount of white. Medley, my first cat, was a tortie - she had no white at all, & was black & ginger.
post #11 of 21
Wow, this thread gave me something to think about. I'm still pretty sure Eppie's a dilute tortie....grey, light brown, and cream just on her chest...
post #12 of 21
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the web reference. I know know that Toby is a Classic Tabby and Tedy is a Ticked tabby......the pictures of the cats on the web sight looked just like our "boys"!!
post #13 of 21
Sugartoes is a tortie. Like a tortiseshell comb, that is both black and gold.
post #14 of 21
Thread Starter 
Oh is she a pretty one! Are you going to kepp her???
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampit3d
...which is`nt all that uncommon these days....but I read a post on "Fur Pictures Only" titles "Tortoise Shell Kitty Lovers?".....It showed beautiful cats that I would have thought were some type of Calico.
I thought my Toby was what was called a Tortoise Shell. (My grandmother had one like him years ago and his name was "Torty"...so maybe that`s why I thought that!)
Toby is a gray cat with big black stripes that swirl all over his body, creating almost circles in some places making him look like the "sections" that turtles often have on their shells.
SOOOO...If he`s not a Torty...or a regular Tiger...then what the heck is he???
Linda
he sounds like a classic or marbled tabby.

Sugartoes looks like my 1st cat Medley. she was also black & gold, with golden eyes.
post #16 of 21
My cricket is black and brown, with swirly marks in his fur and some banding on this legs and tail. My vet called him a "mackeral tabby." Something about torties being only female. ...wow, now I am confused too.

This is my classification of my furbabies:

Rocket - Brown tabby (stripes)
Radar - Gray tabby (stripes)
Edgar - Brown tabby w/ white chest
Noble - Brown tabby, no white
Cricket - black mackerel
Butters - Tuxedo black and white

Needless to say, they all pretty much look the same in low light! Imagine six unidentified kitties sleeping with you on your bed..
post #17 of 21
After reading all this (I posted in the pic part a few minutes ago) I think Marlee is probably a Tortie and white.....I hope to get some pics of her to put on here soon. I love looking at everyones pictures and hearing stories, its great!!
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampit3d
Oh is she a pretty one! Are you going to kepp her???
No, she needs to go. But she is a perfect companion for any catlover. She rubs against ankles, is playful, loves treats. She talks, and is getting along fine with my cats. She does scratch the furniture...will need to be worked on, but that's not a big problem at my house.
post #19 of 21
Classic Tabby
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrybeth
Something about torties being only female. ...wow, now I am confused too.
Torties and calicos are almost always female, because to get the color combination of black/brown and ginger they must have two X chromosomes which carry the color genes, as each color is dominant. There are rare male calicos/torties, which are almost always sterile because they must have XXY chromosomes to have those colors.
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanhb
Torties and calicos are almost always female, because to get the color combination of black/brown and ginger they must have two X chromosomes which carry the color genes, as each color is dominant. There are rare male calicos/torties, which are almost always sterile because they must have XXY chromosomes to have those colors.

Wow, thanks for that tidbit of info...I may begin calling Cricket girlie-man....now I am also a bit less confused!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Now I`m totally confused!