TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › What IS it with cats and boxes?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What IS it with cats and boxes?

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
I know, they ALL love them, but I'm just sitting here cracking up at Henry right now. I put an empty small, shallow box from Nutro wet food cans on the floor, and she's trying to fit into it. She gave up on curling up and is now lying in it with her back legs stretched out behind her. Jack was trying to get in earlier too but apparently decided there isn't room for both of them in there.
post #2 of 28
It doesn't just have to be a box, just an open space where they can only JUST fit in! And don't even think about leaving a cupboard door open!!
post #3 of 28
Oh my Catsy loves boxes too. I was playing Monopoly with a friend, and had put the lid of the box on the floor. Catsy came and tried to fit herself into the lid, but ended up with her chin resting on the edge of the box, her tail squashed underneath her body. It looked like an uncomfortable position, but she seemed to love it and fell asleep right there!
post #4 of 28
The shallow top of a box (about 1-2 inches high), laid upside down on the floor, is even better. They will sit in it, lie in it, and bunt up against the corners. My cats are having a fight right now over who gets the "better" box top.

Edit: photo added

A boxtop inside another boxtop is even better!
post #5 of 28
My childhood kitty, Ginger, would always try and fit himself into game board box tops when they were open on the living room floor... He was a big kitty and all of ours had busted sides that had been repeatedly taped up
post #6 of 28
Cassie has got abut 3 comfy beds to choose from (although Napoleon has recently claimed one as his own), yet she prefers to sleep in a cardboard box from a delivery to my boyfriend LOL
post #7 of 28
I think there's something about proving that they can actually fit in these little spaces, lol. I bought a pair of boots this weekend and Pixie somehow managed to squeeze herself into the shoebox with the boots still in it!! She acted like it was very comfortable, but I can't imagine it was with a boot heel in her butt!!
post #8 of 28
Harley has about 3 boxes that he loves to play in, I'm not sure why...I always think its funny! His favorite is a Budweiser box, its almost all torn up but I find him in there everyday, just laying in there...you can't think that could be comfy at all!
post #9 of 28
I'm in the middle of moving, so there's lots of open boxes sitting around my house. Josie is always in one of them or chewing on one of the flaps.
post #10 of 28
check out this thread for lots of pix of kits in boxes!
post #11 of 28
Sierra and Serenity are quick to claim any box that comes through the door and have several around the house just for them at all times!
post #12 of 28
A cat at work lives in a cupboard in the shelter kitchen

we ended up furnishing the cupboard with a piece of carpet, a water bowl and she gets fed there too lol
she emerges when it is quiet to look for attention and to be let outside
And the ferals love their boxes to play and hide in
post #13 of 28
LOL!! I know what you mean. I think our babies love boxes because one can go in and the other can pretend there's some mysterious animal in there that they have to catch! It's so funny...and they both automatically know the game. The SECOND they hear one of the two of them in a box, the other will come running, and either sit on the open side of the box (if it's facing up), or if the box is on its side, will sit just out of sight, and reach a paw around to bat at the one inside. It's HILARIOUS!! It's almost like one goes in the box, and they hear somehow "places everybody!!"

Cute little box fiends!!
post #14 of 28
post #15 of 28
Oh, I totally forgot!! We buy lots of coke (coupla soda addicts here), and lots of times buy the twelve packs that can fit in the fridge. Neither of our babies can really fit in there, but they LOVE to run across the room and forcefully shove themselves into it, with the other one on the outside, at the back, and the back of the box has an opening of about a half-inch, so they can JUST fit their paws through and play like they don't know it's one another! It's so funny to see them dive into these boxes, like they're as small as they were when they were first playing with them at about a month old!! LOL!!

Another small offshoot of the box-playing, of course, is the whole drawer play idea. Our old place had a built-in dresser in the hallway, and they LOVED getting into the drawers, whether to play or to sleep. We didn't like it so much because our clothes were in there, but no matter what we did to try to keep them closed, they always found a way to open them again. Goofballs!!
post #16 of 28
Many house cats have the boxicus nuttzicus virus... It is highly contagious. Symptoms are shredded boxes, battered boxes and boxes with anywhere from one to five cats inside them. Cat infested boxes are best left alone till all cats in the box no longer have the glazed expression brought on by close proximity to cardboard...

A lesser know viral infection caused by the boxicus minimus strain, causes certain cats to think that they are in fact the size of a small tissue box. This virus seems to target cats over 5kg more than cats under 4kg.

Unfortunately it is not a treatable condition... Most cats infected with these viruses will never recover. Cats with the terrible Boxicus minimus strain are the worst affected. Over time these cats become severely delusional... There have been reported cases of cats attempting to squeeze themselves into all sorts of miniature boxes...

At present the only treatment available is by digital camera and a good sense of humour
post #17 of 28
When Mitts was about 3 months and tiny, we gave him the Box from a Heineken 6 pack (330mls, so small cans) to play in. He was small and could pretty much walk through.

4 months or so later, he still tries to get in these boxes, but only his head and forepaws fit. Soo cute!

Like all kits he'll squeeze into places and sleep. But the odd thing is, if he is on the bed with us, he stretches ALLLLLLLL the way out, just like we do!
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by milopixie
I think there's something about proving that they can actually fit in these little spaces, lol. I bought a pair of boots this weekend and Pixie somehow managed to squeeze herself into the shoebox with the boots still in it!! She acted like it was very comfortable, but I can't imagine it was with a boot heel in her butt!!
Kind of like a woman who tries to fit into her "skinny jeans" after a long hiatus LOL.

Cassie likes to see if she can cram her body into the smallest of boxes. She's a little on the "full figured" side...she spills over it. It's pretty hysterical.

My BF also made a "hiding place" out of a big box, but he cut a hole out in front it, it kind of looks like the front door to a dog house. When Cassie and Napoleon start chasing each other around and she goes to hide, she has to *squeeze* through the opening...or she's kind of like Winnie the Pooh in the honey tree!!! LOL
post #19 of 28
My bf and I moved at the beginning of July, so throughout the month of August our old house was full of boxes. Oz likes to chew on the edges, any place he can get a good bite in, and he leaves little shredded pieces of cardboard everywhere. No box is safe with him around, because the instant he realises he can get it in his mouth, he starts chewing away! We have a stack of flattened boxes under our bed, left over from the move, and Oz is gradually whittling away at them; I keep meaning to take the boxes out from under the bed and pitch them, because they're certainly in no condition to be used as actual storage boxes (and I'm a bit tired of getting pieces of wet cardboard between my sheets or stuck to the bottom of my feet!) but I always forget.

Spike, however, is absolutely hilarious when it comes to boxes. He doesn't try to fit in them. He doesn't chew on them. He doesn't sit on them. No, he sits beside the box and bats the flaps with one paw, over and over again, this expression of mindless enjoyment on his goofy-looking face. He will do this for hours if you let him, which is unusual given that he generally has a very short attention span. I'm still not sure what he finds so interesting about this pastime, but at least it doesn't leave bits of soggy cardboard lying around ...
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirinae
My bf and I moved at the beginning of July, so throughout the month of August our old house was full of boxes. Oz likes to chew on the edges, any place he can get a good bite in, and he leaves little shredded pieces of cardboard everywhere. No box is safe with him around, because the instant he realises he can get it in his mouth, he starts chewing away! We have a stack of flattened boxes under our bed, left over from the move, and Oz is gradually whittling away at them; I keep meaning to take the boxes out from under the bed and pitch them, because they're certainly in no condition to be used as actual storage boxes (and I'm a bit tired of getting pieces of wet cardboard between my sheets or stuck to the bottom of my feet!) but I always forget.
he's a sculptor!
post #21 of 28
Rocky's latest thing is to jump into the refridgerator! I'm trying to have him stop for safety and sanitary reasons. Other than grabbing him I've run out of ideas. He also can open cupboards, hid and open them back up on his own.
post #22 of 28
My girl is also a box addict. She's in heaven at the moment as we're slowing packing to move in 3 weeks time so there are boxes all over the place.
She has her own "special" box that my son cut a little window in, she hides inside and when you walk past out shoots this paw waving about like mad to catch you or she drops her sockfriend in there to beat up.
That said she is also a cupboard and washing basket addict and god help you if you're trying to do any paperwork
post #23 of 28
Oliver hasnt had access to a soda-flat type box, but absolutely won't let me throw away the box his snuggle ball came in! It's a tall rectangular box that I laid on it's side, with one side opened up... When I play with him and his fishing rod toy he runs and hides inside the box like he's hinding from the prey and waits to attack... he'll peek his head around the corner of the box and I go "I can see youuuuu..." and he sneaks back inside!
post #24 of 28
We used to get the biggest laughs out of my (RB) cat, BC.
Nothing more amusing than watching a 23 pound cat stuff himself into a women's size 5 shoebox.
He always managed it, but the poor boxes were almost completely round by the time he got out of them.
post #25 of 28
Boxes, bags; you name it. It's like they hear you carrying one in and they come running. "You brought me a box?! Thank you! Put it down! Put it down! Let me play with it! Put it down!"

Henry likes to root around in my mother's purse when she comes to visit. And suitcases. When those come out, he's in them like he's part of the trip.
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazi
Many house cats have the boxicus nuttzicus virus... It is highly contagious. Symptoms are shredded boxes, battered boxes and boxes with anywhere from one to five cats inside them. Cat infested boxes are best left alone till all cats in the box no longer have the glazed expression brought on by close proximity to cardboard...

A lesser know viral infection caused by the boxicus minimus strain, causes certain cats to think that they are in fact the size of a small tissue box. This virus seems to target cats over 5kg more than cats under 4kg.

Unfortunately it is not a treatable condition... Most cats infected with these viruses will never recover. Cats with the terrible Boxicus minimus strain are the worst affected. Over time these cats become severely delusional... There have been reported cases of cats attempting to squeeze themselves into all sorts of miniature boxes...

At present the only treatment available is by digital camera and a good sense of humour
OMG This is too funny!
post #27 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyAnnieDots
Boxes, bags; you name it. It's like they hear you carrying one in and they come running. "You brought me a box?! Thank you! Put it down! Put it down! Let me play with it! Put it down!"

Henry likes to root around in my mother's purse when she comes to visit. And suitcases. When those come out, he's in them like he's part of the trip.
Oh yeah, Jack loves my travelling bag as well! Open or closed, he loves to sit in/on it.
post #28 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlyn
We used to get the biggest laughs out of my (RB) cat, BC.
Nothing more amusing than watching a 23 pound cat stuff himself into a women's size 5 shoebox.
He always managed it, but the poor boxes were almost completely round by the time he got out of them.
Totally cracking up picturing this!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › What IS it with cats and boxes?