TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Love this idea..to Protest gas
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Love this idea..to Protest gas

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_3054620#

What irrates me about this though is that the principal squashed it. these girls. put in some thought to save money, the school HAS an animal lab and Stalls..HELLLOOO?
post #2 of 15
I think the school needs to rethink there decision
post #3 of 15
That is such a great idea! I wish more people thought like these two girls do!! But, alas, schools get way too bogged down in concerns about liability or the consequences that something unconventional may or may not have on the girls and the other students...it always seemed gratuitous when I was in school, and from what this article says, their concern seems gratuitous now.
post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 
its pretty much what i say to their ruleing on this.
post #5 of 15
Good grief ! I am so --- GD --- tired of such silly rules that make no bloody fardling sense! I'm about ready to become an anarchist I tell ya --- !
post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
I have to agree. I mean they have a barn..with stalls. What in the world? are they just to sit there and look cute? DURRR GRRR and all of the above. I know vixen would love if i road her instead of taking the car.
post #7 of 15
Yes the school is being silly but I also think a 60 mile round trip horesback 5 days a week is a bit much. They should get one of those little 50cc scooters that do 30-40 mph and get 70-80 mpg.
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke
Good grief ! I am so --- GD --- tired of such silly rules that make no bloody fardling sense! I'm about ready to become an anarchist I tell ya --- !

...I think the reason why they said no was because...its an animal the school is not familiar with, and if something happens to a student because of this horse...the school will be just a liable as the students who own the horse....i think thats all it is.....though its a bit exsessive....everyone sues everyone nowadays ...so you cant blame them for being paranoid...........

the scooter idea was cool
post #9 of 15
I like their idea, but from the pic with the article it looked like they were riding on asphalt and along a busy road...neither of which is safe for horses, especially over long distances like that. Now, if the trip was over the mountains and through the woods, 60 miles a day wouldn't be a big deal as long as the horses and riders are healthy and up to it.
I wish I could ride my horse to work...hay is indeed cheaper than gas. And what a way that would be to start the day!!!
post #10 of 15
Thread Starter 
I do have to disagree with it being safer in the woods. Things can happen there too. Alot of horses are road safe. Although a horse is never 100% neither is a car
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms
I do have to disagree with it being safer in the woods.
Yes, it does depend what else is in the woods with you!

I think if I rode my pony that far every day he'd need more than hay to fuel his engine - and he'd wear his feet down so much I'd have to have him shod, which would be v.expensive as he'd wear the shoes down quickly also. It might end up being as expensive as petrol.

Price has started to go down here, it is now under £1 per litre (1 gallon = about 4.5 litres) so my lightning fast mathematical brain works out we are paying about £4.50 per gallon. What would that be in dollars I wonder, and what are you all paying on the American side of the Pond?

Sue
post #12 of 15
I was talking more about the liability thing, this country is so "sue happy." It's like it's the alternative get rich quick lottery or something.

The shoe thing is a valid point. The last time I had a horse shod it was $50 I think? Dang, I remember when I first got into horses (back in the dark ages ) it was I believe $10-12 for a full set and $6 for a trim! And only $15 I think for my Racking mare (I had toe weights and long toes on her 'til her gait straightened out and she stopped pacing. )

You'd definitely be shoeing on a 6 week schedule, and I bet you'd need street shoes (used to be borium tipped, still have those?) which I bet would be more expensive.

I'd say riding the horses on the shoulders of the road, (if they're fairly wide anyway) is probably as safe as driving in traffic. CERTAINLY as safe, or safer, than riding a scooter. And it's certainly a more "green" method of transportation!
post #13 of 15
That was an interesting idea. Too bad the school wouldn't allow them to continue it.
post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by millyanddaisy
Yes, it does depend what else is in the woods with you!

I think if I rode my pony that far every day he'd need more than hay to fuel his engine - and he'd wear his feet down so much I'd have to have him shod, which would be v.expensive as he'd wear the shoes down quickly also. It might end up being as expensive as petrol.

Price has started to go down here, it is now under £1 per litre (1 gallon = about 4.5 litres) so my lightning fast mathematical brain works out we are paying about £4.50 per gallon. What would that be in dollars I wonder, and what are you all paying on the American side of the Pond?

Sue

its about 2.60 a gallon right now here. I know my little mare, would be fine going that far and having hay for food. a little grain doesnt hurt either. and for shoeing. I dont think i personally would have to. But my mare is an odd ball. I could complete 300 mile rides on her with no shoes. Shes got super feet LOL

but yes having to shoe can get spendy
post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke
I was talking more about the liability thing, this country is so "sue happy." It's like it's the alternative get rich quick lottery or something.

The shoe thing is a valid point. The last time I had a horse shod it was $50 I think? Dang, I remember when I first got into horses (back in the dark ages ) it was I believe $10-12 for a full set and $6 for a trim! And only $15 I think for my Racking mare (I had toe weights and long toes on her 'til her gait straightened out and she stopped pacing. )

You'd definitely be shoeing on a 6 week schedule, and I bet you'd need street shoes (used to be borium tipped, still have those?) which I bet would be more expensive.

I'd say riding the horses on the shoulders of the road, (if they're fairly wide anyway) is probably as safe as driving in traffic. CERTAINLY as safe, or safer, than riding a scooter. And it's certainly a more "green" method of transportation!

Front only around here is about $50 full set is going to run you $80 or more depending on the type of shoe, size and so on. lucky for me. I do not have to shoe. Vixen is super mare lol
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Love this idea..to Protest gas