TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Garlic back on Innova red can cat food
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Garlic back on Innova red can cat food

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
The Innova rep says garlic was out etc. Just got a cast of 6/07 red canned cat food 5.5 0z and I see garlic is back?? Does anyone know anything about this? Also I am sick of Innovas inconsistency of canned cat food. I do buy by the case but sometimes its light which is good or dark brown and my cats do not like it. The Innova guy ay Naturapet said its because its human grade ingredients, Well i have just tried Wellness and my cats gobble it up and thats human grade as well. I am thinking of changing. I even did the compare on their(www.naturapet.com) site with wellness chicken vs Innova wet canned cat food. Seems very similar? for some reason Innova left out vitamins on wellness when there are? Wellness has garlic on their cans as well?
post #2 of 26
Doesn't Wellness have garlic?
post #3 of 26
Are y'all referring to this - http://www.epetpals.com/cgi-bin/comm...y=076344089407 - when you say Wellness? Yes, it has garlic. I thought garlic was bad for cats? Why would this food have it? My cats love it but I've quit feeding to them due to the garlic. Anyone have info on this?
post #4 of 26
Wellness does have garlic in it.

I wish they'd take it out - it's a good food, and my cats do really well on it, esp. my sensitive tummy girl Felixia. I hope the small quantity of garlic won't cause them harm - the garlic issue is controversial, but I'd be more comfortable if they'd just stop putting garlic in there. I've never had any consistency problems with Wellness, and it's the only canned food I've found that Felixia really does well on.

I don't feed Innova because it lists milk in the ingredients, plus it disagrees with Felixia's system.
post #5 of 26
After you talk to your vet...please post what his thoughts are about garlic.
Thanks...
Lei
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedokitties
My current vet is a cat specialist - I need to remember to ask him soon.
post #6 of 26
Hmmm, my cats didn't do well on either Innova or Wellness. This is probably partly because I have one incredibly picky cat and one who would eat the Wellness, but not without quite a bit of coaxing.

If you're looking for a garlic free food that's excellent quality and that both of my cats absolutely LOVE (leo, who turned down literally every single brand of premium cat food now licks his plate clean), try Evanger's Holistic Pheasant Dinner. It's canned just outside Chicago (which is where I live), so I have no idea how readily it can be found in other places, but both of my babies are doing great on it. You can check it out in the cat section of http://www.evangersdogfood.com
post #7 of 26
I know that Innova stopped putting in garlic as of a certain date, and that if you contact the company they can tell you what expiration date you need to be looking for.

I will not feed Wellness due to the garlic they choose to use.
post #8 of 26
Thread Starter 
It was off their labels as of may 06. I have a feeling they put it back in?
post #9 of 26
I have a quick question though...why is garlic bad for cats? Another one - why would *respectable* pet food cos put garlic in their cat food? Though I don't ask the "specialists" nor have I spoken to my vet about it...the pet store people seem pretty clueless about it. Not that they are "experts" but you know...most of the places I go to are independently owned, and whenever I ask their opinion, it's like, what are you talking about? Can someone shed some light?

It's unfortunate, because I bought a few cans before finding out about this...both of my cats LOVED the stuff (and didn't give Napoleon runny stools) and I've stopped feeding it to them because of this very reason.
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_monday_88
I have a quick question though...why is garlic bad for cats? Another one - why would *respectable* pet food cos put garlic in their cat food? Though I don't ask the "specialists" nor have I spoken to my vet about it...the pet store people seem pretty clueless about it. Not that they are "experts" but you know...most of the places I go to are independently owned, and whenever I ask their opinion, it's like, what are you talking about? Can someone shed some light?

It's unfortunate, because I bought a few cans before finding out about this...both of my cats LOVED the stuff (and didn't give Napoleon runny stools) and I've stopped feeding it to them because of this very reason.
That's my question too. The vendor where I purchased the Wellness said it was a SAFE amount of garlic for cats and used to improve the flavor. My cats love the stuff but I've quit giving it to them. The vendor is very reputable and recommended by my vet. I wouldn't think they'd recommend something harmful to cats.

So, how does a person know? Is all garlic bad for cats? Why? Is there a safe amount? Do I need to throw the Wellness away?
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by batrice
It was off their labels as of may 06. I have a feeling they put it back in?
I understand that, I simply do not remember the date by which the reps contacted (by numerous folks from one list I am on where the cats are more prone to develop anemia as it is, so why increase the risk by feeding garlic?)...it may be an '07 date. If you contact them, you will be able to find out. I can NOT imagine them reversing course to put garlic back in.
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanW
That's my question too. The vendor where I purchased the Wellness said it was a SAFE amount of garlic for cats and used to improve the flavor. My cats love the stuff but I've quit giving it to them. The vendor is very reputable and recommended by my vet. I wouldn't think they'd recommend something harmful to cats.

So, how does a person know? Is all garlic bad for cats? Why? Is there a safe amount? Do I need to throw the Wellness away?
All I can do is keep posting the links I have, to show why I will not feed it. Yes, there otherwise respected companies out there claiming, form of garlic, amount of garlic is safe...the fact is they have no studies to back that up, and I'm not going to risk it. Here are the articles - read and decide which you feel comfortable doing.

Click Here for August 2005 ASPCA Toxicology Report on Cats and Garlic - click on the article titled "Allium Species Poisoning in Dogs and Cats" -this article is a pdf, so you must have Adobe Acrobats free reader installed.

Click here article listing the substance in onions and garlic that is toxic to cats

Click here for vet article from Dr.Fosters and Smith site

One thing that is known...the sensitivity of a cat to garlic can really vary on an individual basis - what one cat might be able to handle, another can not.

I may have become skeptical after years of seeing respected human food companies put out C**p for humans, I no longer believe in the quality of a food item just by the brand name.
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_monday_88
I have a quick question though...why is garlic bad for cats? Another one - why would *respectable* pet food cos put garlic in their cat food? Though I don't ask the "specialists" nor have I spoken to my vet about it...the pet store people seem pretty clueless about it. Not that they are "experts" but you know...most of the places I go to are independently owned, and whenever I ask their opinion, it's like, what are you talking about? Can someone shed some light?

It's unfortunate, because I bought a few cans before finding out about this...both of my cats LOVED the stuff (and didn't give Napoleon runny stools) and I've stopped feeding it to them because of this very reason.
See my reply to JeanW.
post #14 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix
See my reply to JeanW.
I e-mailed innova twice about re-adding garlic to their food, since its now on their labels again. HAVE HEARD NOTHING. Did call wellness they said they only use it as flavoring so its harmless. If you served up a whole bulb there could be problems. I also called a Holistic vet who has published a successful book. I called them they said onion is bad not garlic. Got me since garlic is part of the onion family. But i feel if its only used as flavoring it could be Okay. Its a touchy subject which i wish someone reputable in the cat food world would clarify.
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by batrice
I e-mailed innova twice about re-adding garlic to their food, since its now on their labels again. HAVE HEARD NOTHING. Did call wellness they said they only use it as flavoring so its harmless. If you served up a whole bulb there could be problems. I also called a Holistic vet who has published a successful book. I called them they said onion is bad not garlic. Got me since garlic is part of the onion family. But i feel if its only used as flavoring it could be Okay. Its a touchy subject which i wish someone reputable in the cat food world would clarify.
My first reply to this was gobbled up in the ether. I understand I am not a vet, nor someone with any kind of a degree in pet nutrition, but I have a good brain, and my RN...what I have read, and heard anecdotally has been enough for me to make my decision. If you have not yet done so, please read the Toxicology report from August 2005 that I posted in this thread in an earlier message. I think it counts as being from folks reputable in the cat food world.
post #16 of 26
If anyone has a problem with garlic, can't they just feed another food?

To be honest I know nothing about the ingredients in cat foods.
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats
If anyone has a problem with garlic, can't they just feed another food?

To be honest I know nothing about the ingredients in cat foods.
Of course, but my position here is as an advisor Sam, so I do give my opinion on ingredients
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats
If anyone has a problem with garlic, can't they just feed another food?

To be honest I know nothing about the ingredients in cat foods.
Since you breed those beautiful cats of yours, you should find out what you're actually letting them eat. Sometimes bad ingredients don't rear their ugly heads in terms of problems until the cats are older.
Many of the commercial foods are loaded with stuff that is not good for cats to eat....whether the cats like the taste of it or not.

It's important enough to research it.
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix
Of course, but my position here is as an advisor Sam, so I do give my opinion on ingredients
Oh yeh Pat. I totally love and respect your role.

But I just meant for those people that are pondering over the garlic.
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals
Since you breed those beautiful cats of yours, you should find out what you're actually letting them eat. Sometimes bad ingredients don't rear their ugly heads in terms of problems until the cats are older.
Many of the commercial foods are loaded with stuff that is not good for cats to eat....whether the cats like the taste of it or not.

It's important enough to research it.
I know enough about the ingredients to choose a good food for my Beautiful cats, they get the best food that is available here - Royal Canin Persian.

Yeah many of the commercial foods are loaded with stuff that isn't good for cats, like the pet food brands that have artifical colouring and it definitly makes it more appealing to the cats, but even if my kitties liked the taste of it(I wouldn't let them try it) they wouldn't get it, because they thrive on Royal Canin.
post #21 of 26
Thread Starter 
I have had cats for over 50 years. And i research everything to the tee. I must admit garlic is still a questionable issue. I continue to research it. I only give my cats the best and only Steam distilled water.I will continue to investigate.But for now will continue with Innova and wellness. By- products in food as far as I'm concerned is worse than garlic as is poultry digest etc. So......
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats
I know enough about the ingredients to choose a good food for my Beautiful cats, they get the best food that is available here - Royal Canin Persian.

Yeah many of the commercial foods are loaded with stuff that isn't good for cats, like the pet food brands that have artifical colouring and it definitly makes it more appealing to the cats, but even if my kitties liked the taste of it(I wouldn't let them try it) they wouldn't get it, because they thrive on Royal Canin.
Good, R/C is a decent food, I fed it to my bengals before going to the raw diet. They didn't like the taste of the R/C much, but it had a good protein/fat ratio. The carbs were still way too high though.
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by batrice
I have had cats for over 50 years. And i research everything to the tee. I must admit garlic is still a questionable issue. I continue to research it.
Good, I would like your feedback on the ASPCA toxicology report titled "Allium Species Poisoning in Dogs and Cats", which is one of the most recent articles I have seen on the topic.
post #24 of 26
I guess I have always adopted the "better safe than sorry" way if thinking. The fact that it is "questionable" is enough for me to veer away from including it in Dori's diet.
post #25 of 26
Mine don't like the taste of a lot but they love their Royal Canin!

However my desexed boy has to have his cheap crappy watery canned food!
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirtle
I guess I have always adopted the "better safe than sorry" way if thinking. The fact that it is "questionable" is enough for me to veer away from including it in Dori's diet.
That is my philosophy evan the dog is no longer getting garlic
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Garlic back on Innova red can cat food