TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Science Diet food?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Science Diet food?

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
When I first got Marlee about a week and a half ago I had the Purina Nurturing Kitten formula dry food to feed her. The first couple days I had her she didn't eat/drink much of anything, so I made her a vet appointment (also to check her stitches). After that appointment I was sent home with Science Diet food from the vet, and some Rebound milk to supplement her so she will gain weight. I've had to take her back again since then, and b/c she is dehydrated and wont drink much water herself, I'm doing water by syringe as well. Yesterday she finally started eating the Science Diet, not as much as she needs, but a little. Today she started having diarrhea. Not a lot, maybe twice today with a little bit of soft poop in between. I called the vet and he said just watch her and bring her in tomorrow if it looks like she needs it. But back to the point of the post, I haven't seen anyone mention Science Diet on here. I figure since the vet recommends it, its pretty good, but wanted some other opinions.

Ashley
post #2 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyNicole
When I first got Marlee about a week and a half ago I had the Purina Nurturing Kitten formula dry food to feed her. The first couple days I had her she didn't eat/drink much of anything, so I made her a vet appointment (also to check her stitches). After that appointment I was sent home with Science Diet food from the vet, and some Rebound milk to supplement her so she will gain weight. I've had to take her back again since then, and b/c she is dehydrated and wont drink much water herself, I'm doing water by syringe as well. Yesterday she finally started eating the Science Diet, not as much as she needs, but a little. Today she started having diarrhea. Not a lot, maybe twice today with a little bit of soft poop in between. I called the vet and he said just watch her and bring her in tomorrow if it looks like she needs it. But back to the point of the post, I haven't seen anyone mention Science Diet on here. I figure since the vet recommends it, its pretty good, but wanted some other opinions.

Ashley
I have been doing some research and talked to a lot of people here and they recommend Nutro, Royal Cannon, Evo etc. Something with less fillers and by products!
post #3 of 29
science diet ( or science death as its known on some pet nutrition communities) is not a good food. The dry formulas are made of mostly corn. not something that cats need or desire. Science diet also only recently stopped using BHA and BHT and Ethoxyquin ( known cancer causing agents) in their products as preservatives.

Vet schools dont teach much about nutrition to the students-- I would suggest doing some research on foods and finding one that has a meat source as the first ingredients and staying away from by products and artificial preservatives and such.

This website will tell you what pet food ingredients mean-- basically how to read the label: (its a dog food site but the same goes for reading labels for cat foods)

http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/index.php?page=li101

good luck!
post #4 of 29
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the advice. Poor Marlee is just having problems! She is just now starting to eat some of the dry food, so I'm a little nervous about changing it so soon! Especially since she's already having a little diarrhea, and I know changing foods can make that worse. How long should I wait before switching to a better food?
post #5 of 29
about 2 weeks that she is solidly on it is my thought...
post #6 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitya
science diet ( or science death as its known on some pet nutrition communities) is not a good food. The dry formulas are made of mostly corn. not something that cats need or desire. Science diet also only recently stopped using BHA and BHT and Ethoxyquin ( known cancer causing agents) in their products as preservatives.

Vet schools dont teach much about nutrition to the students-- I would suggest doing some research on foods and finding one that has a meat source as the first ingredients and staying away from by products and artificial preservatives and such.

This website will tell you what pet food ingredients mean-- basically how to read the label: (its a dog food site but the same goes for reading labels for cat foods)

http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/index.php?page=li101

good luck!
I agree, vets don't know a lot about nutrition. I know, I work for one! We used to carry Science Diet too, but got rid of it. I don't like it either. It has a lot of fillers like corn, and just goes right through them. They poop a lot!!!
post #7 of 29
Vets around here also all recommend Science Diet. But it's not a good food.
Look at the ingredients-it has by-products and corn.
I wouldn't use it.
post #8 of 29
Thread Starter 
So theres a possibility that the Science Diet might be giving her the diarrhea? Poor baby worries me, even since I got her from the shelter we just havent been able to get her healthy! She was dehydrated, I think thats getting better, now the girl had diarrhea! I wish she could talk to me and tell me whats going on so I could help her. Shes also still be really sleepy, and not really playing. She seems happy enough, she loves to sit up on my chest, stomach, lap, anywhere and just purr. But I know that as a kitten she should be doing at least a little playing! If she doesnt get worse before then, we already have a vet appointment for friday.
post #9 of 29
what did she have before ?? how long was the switch period
post #10 of 29
Thread Starter 
I have had her since 9/9. I do not know what she had at the shelter. The first few days I tried to use Purina Kitten Nurturing formula. Since her vet visit on 9/14 shes been on Science Diet. But she is going to the vet ASAP in the morning, I just noticed some tinges of blood in the last diarrhea. Hope all is well, I will post tomorrow as soon as I know
post #11 of 29
I wouldnt feed her science diet..IMO Purina even their basic formula is better than science diet. I dont know what your price range is. Or if its even an issue. but there are good foods in all ranges. alot of people here like Nutro, I like Purina one and Pro Plan, and Bil Jac
post #12 of 29
please do.. sending a prayer and
post #13 of 29
Thread Starter 
Thanks so much for the replies. Its nice to know there are people here to come to with problems. I'm so worried about my baby right now, but I'm going to try to get some sleep and keep an eye on her the rest of the night, and get to the vet early in the morning. Thanks again, and i'm definately gonna see about switching to another food. Are these brands good for both dry and wet?
post #14 of 29
The quickest way for you to see what has been recommended, is to do a forum search using words such as "recommended food" or "best cat foods", it will bring up all the threads containing those words.

I do not like Science Diet (except if it is a prescription food I would never advise someone to just ditch it without finding a comparable food - that your vet will approve), it is expensive but the ingredients, imo, are not as good as other less expensive brands.

The blood may mean she's irritated from all the diarhea...good to hear she has another apt. I do agree with Sharky, give her a bit of time first to stabilize before changing her again...do some research over this next week, and then do a gradual change.
post #15 of 29
I haven't read the responses so perhaps its been mentioned, but I almost bought Science Diet having always heard it was vet reccommended. It contains a lot of by products though, so I passed.
post #16 of 29
It was a disaster in our home... !

What kind of stitches removed? Spay stitches...?
I'd consult the vet... The signs of not eating, then getting diarrhea...
that sounds medical to me.
post #17 of 29
Vets recommend H*ll's Science Diet because the company spends all its advertising $ marketing itself to vets.

But a simple read of the ingredients label will tell you everything you need to know about the food. In short, it's garbage.

If you have to shop at PETsMART or Petco, Nutro is the best food available there. It is also considerably cheaper than Science Diet. But it is better to shop at a specialty pet store or human health food store and feed a brand such as Innova, Chicken Soup, Pet Guard, Felidae, California Natural, Wellness, or another super premium brand. These vary in price but all are comparable to or cheaper than Science Diet.
post #18 of 29
Thread Starter 
Yes its spay stitches she'll be getting removied Friday. I got her to the vet this morning for the diarrhea. They said she'll be okay, just gave me some meds to help stop it. I'm just at a loss. Shes doing a LITTLE better at eating dry food, haven't tried wet food the last day or so b/c she wouldn't eat it before. I may try again tonight. How can I help her start drinking/eating on her own?
post #19 of 29
Thread Starter 
Also, it was my boyfriend that took her b/c I had class. He said the vet told him it could be something called cochlea? (Or sounded that way). Anyone heard of it? Cause i'm thinking maybe he misunderstood the vet and its Coccidia that the vet meant?
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyNicole
Also, it was my boyfriend that took her b/c I had class. He said the vet told him it could be something called cochlea? (Or sounded that way). Anyone heard of it? Cause i'm thinking maybe he misunderstood the vet and its Coccidia that the vet meant?
Coccidia would be more probable, since the cochlea is part of the inner ear.
post #21 of 29
Thread Starter 
Haha, thats what I thought! I looked up the meds they sent up, and it is used to treat several things in dogs and cats, one of which was coccidosis, so I'm guessing that was it! Shes eating her wet food right now! Yippy! Hope she'll keep it up!
post #22 of 29
Thread Starter 
menagerie mama, Thanks for the concern! I can't take her temp, but my bf said the vet took it today. (You might have missed the post that said she got taken in to get checked.) I didn't ask if she had a temp, but the vet said it was probably Coccidia/Coccidosis and sent home Albon for me to give her. I made another post asking this, but since noone answered I'll ask again here. She just started the Albon this morning at the vet. How long before the diarrhea should stop? Shes still had it several times since the vet visit, but I figured it would take maybe til her 2nd dose tomorrow for it to really kick in. I would love to hear from someone who had this problem, and hear how quickly the diarrhea subsided.

Ashley
post #23 of 29
Ashley,

Good vibes for Marlee --- I know from experience how difficult it can sometimes be to get a kitten with digestive ills straightened out, but they do bounce back really well.

On the long term, I would avoid Science Diet like the plague. When I was much younger and dumber, I fed that to my cats thinking I was doing a good thing and ended up with kidney failure, diabetes, etc.

Royal Canin makes an excellent quality dry food, and so does Wellness. They are a bit more expensive up front, and you may have to look around a little to find a dealer, but in the long run, they are worth it. I especially like Royal Canin's kitten food. Just be careful when switching foods and always do it gradually, esp. if your baby has already been having digestive problems.

HOpe that helps!
Karen
post #24 of 29
I heard a rumor (don't know if it's true, but sounds reasonable to me) that science diet has huge scholarships for vet schools. In return the graduate vets agree to display science diet in their office. That's why you see so many vet offices have science diet foods in their offices versus other brands.

And the "vet recommended" sloagan is always tricky. Any brand, if they want to put "vet recommended" on their bag, all they have to do is have ONE vet "recommend" that brand. It's like in movies where they always advertise "critics say it's the best movie". Oh well...

But really look into the ingredients of the food. Yellow corn is not the best, chicken (or any meat) by-products are not the best... What's on the ingridient list is very heavily regulated, so that can be a reliable source.
post #25 of 29
I have to strongly agree with what seems to be the more common sentiment in regards to Science Diet. I had my boys who were all overweight on it many years back. Not knowing a thing about nutrition or a cats needs, I thought I was doing the best thing by feeding it (used RD and was encouraged to switch to WD). My wallet sure thought that I was doing a good thing too...

My eldest developed diabetes a few years ago. I don't know that it was directly related to the food and another dry food could have had the same effects on my boy (too many carbs for him), but when I switched him to a better quality lower carb food... his diabetes disappeared. He no longer required the insulin or the ear testing (but on occasion).

Friends that I met along the way equate Science Diet to sawdust for cats. Since we stopped using it, Ernie's diabetes has gone... Teddy's chin and face rashes are gone... and I'm paying less money for higher quality food.

Switch slow enough not to upset tummy but do switch if your baby will accept something else.

Kind regards and I hope things are feeling better for your sweetie soon!

Stacy
post #26 of 29
Thread Starter 
Marlee is finally doing better today! Yeah! She started drinking water on her own last night, and finally has had two poops that weren't diarrhea! I am so so so happy! I will definately take the advice to keep away from Science Diet. I'm gonna leave her on it for another week or so, to make sure her stomach is alright, then slowly start her on something else. Til then i'll be looking at the pet store here to find a good one. Thanks again!
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyNicole
Marlee is finally doing better today! Yeah! She started drinking water on her own last night, and finally has had two poops that weren't diarrhea! I am so so so happy! I will definately take the advice to keep away from Science Diet. I'm gonna leave her on it for another week or so, to make sure her stomach is alright, then slowly start her on something else. Til then i'll be looking at the pet store here to find a good one. Thanks again!
Good luck! And I certainly agree with the advice you've gotten. My older kit didn't do well on SD at all (which I can esepcially see now that he's on a super-premium...his coat, his problems with being overweight, his stomach issues, his tendency to sneeze and eye-goop at the slightest bit of stress...all have been eradicated). You're such a good mommy to consider these things!! Much happiness and health in the future to you and your kit!!

One word to the wise, though. If your cat is picky, I had a terrible time getting Leo to accept anything but his science diet for a long time. It's like he was addicted to the stuff! I finally switched to California Natural, which is reccommended for picky eaters. If you need a wet for a picky eater, just yesterday I got Leo to eat his first ever can of wet food and it was Evanger's Holistic Pheasant Dinner for Cats. It can be tricky to find, but you can order it drectly from them at http://www.evangersdogfood.com and they charge a flat shipping rate
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionessrampant
If you need a wet for a picky eater, just yesterday I got Leo to eat his first ever can of wet food and it was Evanger's Holistic Pheasant Dinner for Cats. It can be tricky to find, but you can order it drectly from them at http://www.evangersdogfood.com and they charge a flat shipping rate
I've been quite intrigued with Evangers as I checked out their ingredients recently, glad to hear it's actually palatable (per the cat, of course )
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix
I've been quite intrigued with Evangers as I checked out their ingredients recently, glad to hear it's actually palatable (per the cat, of course )
If Leo likes it, it's probably the kitty equivalent of gourmet. The ingredients check out and it was actually reccommended to me by this woman who now owns and runs a pet store/pet wellness resource center down the street from me. She used to manage the Chicago Emergency Vet Clinic on the north side, so I trust her judgement.

If you ever want to try it, do so. The other thing I like about it is that it doesn't congeal the way other foods do. It stays sort of pastey (you know, the cat food consistency, however you would describe that), so I think it retains more of its 'just opened the can' texture and flavor.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Science Diet food?