TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › A little irritation and a lot of confusion! (long)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A little irritation and a lot of confusion! (long)

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
As some of you might know, I am now in my sixth week of pregnancy. Yay! Yesterday was my year follow up for being on zoloft for anxiety issues. Well, I just found out last week that I was pregnant, and I figured, well, I have an appointment with my PCP next Monday, so I will wait and talk to him then. I have been reassured by my OBGYN and nurses in that office that zoloft is something that they have pregnant women on and that I shouldnt worry about that....well, I get to my PCP's office yesterday, and tell him that I am six weeks pregnant...and I could tell that he was a little irritated....and he said, "I thought that we were going to discuss you're getting pregnant before you did so that we could see what route we wanted to take." And I responded with "We did, but accidents happen...this one wasnt planned..." And hes like "what do you mean accident??" I am like, you know accident?? Not on purpose, meaning birth control failed??? Duh? So, he goes into this long conversation about how zoloft is a third trimester risk drug, and that no matter what, the first and third trimesters were the most important. And he doesnt think that I really need zoloft...so I am like, ok, well, I asked you at the 9 month follow up to take me off of it because I had gained 19 pounds in 8 months of being on the medication, that I would try to work through some of my anxieties, and you told me no, I cant come off of it, because I can't control anxiety. Then hes like, well, I think that you should stay on it, and talk to your OB about it, because I dont know a lot about unborn babies, thats not my speciality. I know enough, but I can't get in depth like an OB can about the side effects and risks. I can tell you what I know about the medication, but thats it...I am like fine...so I ask him to clarify some things he said....and I told him to bottom line it for me...does he think I should come off of the medication or stay on it? Apparently, I am already on a low dosage as it is...50 mg...thats as low as it gets considering the 25mg is just an introductory amount, after about 2 weeks, it doesnt work. 50mg is working great for me. And he said that ultimately, the decision was mine. Well, thanks, thank alot, doc. FOR ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!!!!!!! All he did was waste my time, and what little bit of energy I have left. He is standing on the line, and I feel like hes doing it to cover himself so that if I have bad anxiety and I have a premature birth I cant blame him, and if I stay on it, and my baby is born with some defect I cant blame him then either because I was under the care of an OB specialist. I understand that. But hes the prescribing doctor. He should tell me to stop taking it. But no. He said that I should express my concerns on the 27th to the OB and then make my decision. If I stop taking it, I need to call and let him know. Fine. So much for helping me feel confident in my decision. So, I leave the exam room...and theres this older guy already at the check out window, waiting to check out. He looks at me and says "I hope you arent in any hurry." I said no, and proceeded to daydream. He than says "Shes been on the phone for 5 minutes now, on a personal call..." No she hadnt. The check out window was right outside the room I was in and I heard him walk up about 2.5 seconds before I came out. I give him a small smile and return to digging in my purse for a nail file where I can file my nails down to nothing so that I am not tempted to go home and shred the edges of my own leather sofa like my cats do out of frustration. He doesnt get the fact that I am so not interested in conversation! He looks at me and says "This happened to me at Lowes one time, when it was up off of Jefferson, that was probably before you were born---" (break: just for reference..I remember when Lowes was BUILT off of Jefferson Avenue, and its still there, you jackleg. continue "They had a huge sale, and I went and got my things and stood in this long line, nigh on 10 minutes, and the line didnt move once. So I got out of line, and went to the register where there was 1 guy with 4 line blinking red, and I set my stuff down and told him to help the people on the phone and left that store." I looked at him like, well, good for you, you belligerent old man. Finally, the check out lady is done on the phone and opens the window, and this man THROWS his card at her. I think it was medicare?? I dont know, hes 65, what ever you get then...and the lady was like, if this is new, you need to give to the checkin desk just to make sure all lab work goes to the right lab. And he says "George W. Bush is paying for me." And she tries to explain it again....he repeats the same thing...I thought about kicking him then... So, then he proceeds to tell us that hes going to drive the bus in for his next appointment, let the county pay for it, they dont mind wasting money...and I bit my tongue...then he turns to me and says "I drive a handicap bus to Gloucester from Mathews for the special ed kids, I dont know why they dont just make them go to Mathews High School...put them in a corner and discipline them, thats what kids need these days: discipline...women too. Women need to be disciplined." I gave him a drop dead look and politely said "Well, sir, you wouldnt discipline me because I would be widow." And went on about my business. Yes, the comment about the children ticked me off , and the way he said it...is he that mean to the kids??? Gloucester has a special education program for disabled kids. Mathews doesnt...show some compassion you old jerk! So, he then tells the check out nurse that had "she not been on a personal phone call for 10 minutes, he would be on his way home." She told him that that was not a personal phone call, it was a patient. And then he starts fussing over them paving the highway. "Did you see that long line of traffic out there? Yeah, you can see where this county's priorities lie: they wont drop gas a cent. Paying 3$ for gas..." I was ready to kill him! Then as if that wasnt enough....he says "How old are you?" I told him 22. He goes "Just a kid having a kid." And I said "Thats pretty presumptious of you to think I am pregnant. Maybe I am just fat." He said "No, its not anywhere else, just your belly." EXCUSE ME, YOU OLD BUZZARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was livid. Now, you're checking me out...can you say squicky factor????? I do not look THAT pregnant. I had to leave. I made the check out nurse schedule MY six month follow up a day AFTER his because I might actually be forced to choke him or something. But the comment about the kids really bothered me. I thought about reporting him to the transportation board, but I realize now that thats not going to help, and I dont even remember his name. We should have just gone fist to cuff in the waiting room and been done with it. Sheesh.
So, now I dont know what to do about my zoloft. I found this article-----> http://otispregnancy.org/pdf/zoloft.pdf But it still didnt help me in my decision. I worry that the zoloft will cause problems, whether they are after the child is born or years down the line, and that concerns me. But anxiety and over stressing may not be healthy either. I dont know what to do. Anyone have any advice?
post #2 of 16
oi.. he wouldn't have liked to talk to me, I would tell him what's what- and that the only person that needs discipline is himself as it's obvious that his mother was lacking when she taught him his manners, and that neither my age nor my marital status or medical conditions was any of his business.

As far as the zoloft, I would personally get a second opinion from another dr. as eitherthis one's an idiot or he takes his bad days out on his patients, neither of which is a correct attitude.

I'm concerned that you're not to be on it soon, and that any sort of maoi or similar products should be weaned off of slowly.
post #3 of 16
Well, you're in a shrink's office, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that some of the people you meet there are going to be pretty loopy?
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke
Well, you're in a shrink's office, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that some of the people you meet there are going to pretty loopy?
I think she was at her PCP's. Loopy people are out there everywhere! If it were me I would have told him to mind his own business when he asked your age. That would have shut him up before he could spew anything else obnoxious.

I read the article on Zoloft carefully, I take it too and am thinking about a baby in a few years. It sounds like the main risk is prematurity in the third trimester and one needs to personally weigh the risks of not taking v.s. potential side effects and I would talk to the OBGYN.
post #5 of 16
All I have to say is, he's lucky it was you and not me at the office! You were much nicer than he was!

It sounds like your PCP is just kind of a wet blanket and wants to not make a decision, so I would just talk to your Ob-Gyn about the medication, maybe see a different PCP--sounds like you'd probably be happy going to a different office anyway!
post #6 of 16
I would get off of it. Cold turkey...just my opinion. I wouldn't want to take any kind of medication if I am carrying a baby.

Another rule of thumb I go by: usually if you have to ask yourself the question...just do what first comes to mind. Do you want to be on it or not?
post #7 of 16
When I found out I was pregnant with Braeden, I was taking Prozac. Everyone assured me that it would be safe, even my OB doctor. Forget it. I threw them down the toilet and quit all meds for 3 years.

If stopping the meds are not an option for you, talk to your OB about it. This other doctor sounds like an idiot and you are obviously having personality conflicts of some sort with him. That won't be a good thing while going through the pregnancy, anyway.

Good luck to you, hon!
post #8 of 16
Wow, that is a tough one. Can you call your OB for an opinion? Based on the posted report, it sounds pretty safe. And it sounds like you don't want to stop Zoloft suddenly.

I would suggest calling the OB office, and let them know the situation. Ask if you can cut down to 25mg daily of Zoloft. I know the tablets can be cut in half. Then, by the time you see the OB, you will be half weaned off. And if the depression/anxiety returns by the time of your OB appt, you will know whether to risk staying on the med (or change to another), or risk discontinuing the med.

The psychiatrists I work with prefer not to medicate during pregnancy without a referral to a specialist who can help decide what the safest choice can be. Your doc sounded like a jerk today...he could have even called the OB to try to get you in sooner! But it isn't unusual to pass the buck!
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke
Well, you're in a shrink's office, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that some of the people you meet there are going to pretty loopy?
I wasnt in a shrinks office, I was actually in a physicians office. I have never been to a "shrink".


Thanks to everyone who brought forth their opinion. I read the article as saying the zoloft at this time, (in 2002) did not cause any additional birth defects, but they still dont know about the future. I want to stop the medication...I have wanted to stop the medication. I told my PCP that depression is one thing, anxiety is another. Most of my anxieties can be discussed during child birth classes we have to enroll in and lamaze classes, things like that. But I dont want to stop cold turkey and go through withdrawals, either. So, I intend to cut them in half and take 25mg ONLY until I see my OB on the 27th and see what she suggests. If its my choice, like my PCP said it was, then I should have been able to stop it months ago like I suggested and see how I did. But he wouldnt authorize that. And the thing that scares me the most is that, if I stay on this for as long as I am pregnant, when my baby is born, it will go through withdrawal. I would rather wean us off of it NOW and not have to worry about it anymore! I had anxiety...extreme amount of anxiety and mentioned at my check up, and he talked to me about it...I have never been depressed, so I would rather come off of the medication and know my child is safe, then keep taking it because I "might" have anxiety that is out of control again.
Thanks to everyone who responded about the zoloft, I appreciate your inputs!
post #10 of 16
Oh my! What a horrible day you had! It must be totally frustrating to not get the answers you need. And the "old buzzard" ....

Hope you get the answers you need soon and Congratulations on your pregnancy!
post #11 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by captiva
Oh my! What a horrible day you had! It must be totally frustrating to not get the answers you need. And the "old buzzard" ....

Hope you get the answers you need soon and Congratulations on your pregnancy!
Thank you. I think I already have the answer I need, just from my own reaction!
post #12 of 16
Ah, "PCP" = Primary Care Physician, sorry missed that, I forget that they prescribe these drugs too.

When it comes right down to it, it's YOUR body (and baby) and YOUR choice. While the doc does have to authorize (prescribe) you starting a med, stopping it, or not taking it at all is ultimately up to you after weighing all factors pro and con. Mine (PCP) wanted me to stop taking Synthroid after my last bloodwork came back with thyroid function "a little high" ; however my ENT (ear, nose, throat doc) supervises that, and after thinking about it I decided to continue taking it (it's not expensive) and told her words to that effect at my next visit. She was cool with that. Also, although they say that it's "perfectly safe" to continue taking it---how many times have we read articles, sometimes years after the fact, that "new research has come to light" highlighting the dangers of this or that drug that was thought to be "perfectly safe???" I think you're smart to discontinue use.

You may indeed need to switch to a different PCP, I changed mine because my last one was so darned frenetic that I tensed up and my blood pressure shot up 20-30 points just being in her office! My present doc is much more laid back and besides being in family practice is also an ob-gyn (and pediatrician although I have no use for that,) so it's a one shot deal. I like being able to take care of everything in one office (although she's not a surgeon, if I ever have to have surgery I'll have to have a referral.) Perhaps you could find someone along those lines.
post #13 of 16
My daughter has bipolar disorder and was on several different meds when she found out she was pregnant. She had a wonderful OB that consulted with her shrink and they decided that Xanax would be approprate for her. She took them all during her pregnancy and delivered a beautiful, health baby girl. She did so well on Xanax that they continued it instead of all the rest of the stuff she had been taking. Almost 5 months later she is doing better than she ever has, and the baby is thriving.
post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke
Ah, "PCP" = Primary Care Physician, sorry missed that, I forget that they prescribe these drugs too.

When it comes right down to it, it's YOUR body (and baby) and YOUR choice. While the doc does have to authorize (prescribe) you starting a med, stopping it, or not taking it at all is ultimately up to you after weighing all factors pro and con. Mine (PCP) wanted me to stop taking Synthroid after my last bloodwork came back with thyroid function "a little high" ; however my ENT (ear, nose, throat doc) supervises that, and after thinking about it I decided to continue taking it (it's not expensive) and told her words to that effect at my next visit. She was cool with that. Also, although they say that it's "perfectly safe" to continue taking it---how many times have we read articles, sometimes years after the fact, that "new research has come to light" highlighting the dangers of this or that drug that was thought to be "perfectly safe???" I think you're smart to discontinue use.

You may indeed need to switch to a different PCP, I changed mine because my last one was so darned frenetic that I tensed up and my blood pressure shot up 20-30 points just being in her office! My present doc is much more laid back and besides being in family practice is also an ob-gyn (and pediatrician although I have no use for that,) so it's a one shot deal. I like being able to take care of everything in one office (although she's not a surgeon, if I ever have to have surgery I'll have to have a referral.) Perhaps you could find someone along those lines.
PCP...yeah, I could have specified that a little more clearly huh?? LOL. You are right, I may end up having to switch if he cant be more clear and concise in his opinions on things. And you are right on the money about the new research...thats my concern.



Quote:
My daughter has bipolar disorder and was on several different meds when she found out she was pregnant. She had a wonderful OB that consulted with her shrink and they decided that Xanax would be approprate for her. She took them all during her pregnancy and delivered a beautiful, health baby girl. She did so well on Xanax that they continued it instead of all the rest of the stuff she had been taking. Almost 5 months later she is doing better than she ever has, and the baby is thriving.
I heard that Xanax was okay under a doctors care. My issue is I suffer from General Anxiety Disorder...meaning, I can take something thats not even an issue, and make it an issue, and upset myself big time...An example...my wedding...I was convinced that this friend that I had originally asked to be a bridesmaid, and had to give the boot to because she couldnt get to any of the appointments, even ones I scheduled for her, and we ended up not talking, I was convinced, beyond a shadow of a doubt that she was going to ruin my wedding....like she cared....but I had myself all worked up over it. I also would worry about my husband losing his job, which wasnt even founded, and spent nights crying and crying....I am glad that your daughter did wonderfully, and congratulations on the new grandbaby!!! Thank you for your input..that helps also.
post #15 of 16
Quote:
I wasnt in a shrinks office, I was actually in a physicians office. I have never been to a "shrink"
This is what worries me. It sounds like your physician has prescribed the medication without knowing enough about it. I would suspect that a psychiatrist would know more, whether you can take it, how to stop taking it successfully, and whether there is something else you can do to manage anxiety. Can you ask your PCP for a referral?
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane8704
I heard that Xanax was okay under a doctors care. My issue is I suffer from General Anxiety Disorder...meaning, I can take something thats not even an issue, and make it an issue, and upset myself big time...An example...my wedding...I was convinced that this friend that I had originally asked to be a bridesmaid, and had to give the boot to because she couldnt get to any of the appointments, even ones I scheduled for her, and we ended up not talking, I was convinced, beyond a shadow of a doubt that she was going to ruin my wedding....like she cared....but I had myself all worked up over it. I also would worry about my husband losing his job, which wasnt even founded, and spent nights crying and crying....I am glad that your daughter did wonderfully, and congratulations on the new grandbaby!!! Thank you for your input..that helps also.
Just to warn you, I never had problems with anxiety, but there were times when I was pregnant or nursing a newborn that the worry over the baby was intense! You will have to use your judgement, and talking with the OB and friends, to decide what is normal "new Mom jitters" and what is excessive anxiety. I guess I'm just saying if you need it, meds are great, but if you can manage without them, even better. And we all have some ups and downs with pregnancy, so you will too!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › A little irritation and a lot of confusion! (long)