TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › 11 Children Found Sleeping in Cages...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

11 Children Found Sleeping in Cages...

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050913/...caged_children
This just turns my stomach
post #2 of 23
I heard about that on the radio this morning. I just don't understand what goes through people's minds when they do this. It's sick.
post #3 of 23
It takes sick, ignorant people to treat children like this.
post #4 of 23
OMG
post #5 of 23
That's absolutely despicable, what makes it worse is that these are all handicapped children either adopted or fostered. Where was child services in all of this?
post #6 of 23
what is wrong with people???
post #7 of 23
Just makes me sad and mad at the same time.
I am a firm believer that what you to do to another should be done to you.
I say make them sleep in an itty bitty cage with no blanket or pillow and see how they like it.
post #8 of 23
Thread Starter 
Yeah, the fact that they were not provided with even a blanket or pillow is especially despicable and tragic.

Milopixie, you bring up a good point. Where WAS child services in all this? Surely a family who fosters or adopts 11 disabled children was subject to routine inspections?
post #9 of 23
They said the "shrink" advised them to do it. Also heard they weren't starved or hadn't been beaten. Were they trying to keep track of them?
Not that it is right.
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Cat-Fan
Just makes me sad and mad at the same time.
I am a firm believer that what you to do to another should be done to you.
I say make them sleep in an itty bitty cage with no blanket or pillow and see how they like it.
Totally agree with this post.
But then that would be taking away "their" civil rights, gag
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv
They said the "shrink" advised them to do it. Also heard they weren't starved or hadn't been beaten. Were they trying to keep track of them?
Not that it is right.
No one told them to cage children like beasts. I don't even like to see animals in cages. If the kids were uncontrollable at night, they could have been confined humanely, and provided a comfortable space to sleep. I understand not wanting an autistic child to be able to run out into the road at night, or turn on the gas of the oven. But to sleep in a cage? Shudder!
post #12 of 23
One of the police officiers said "that there was no sign of abuse"...what the heck do you call being locked in a cage!!!! like the fact that they were fed and weren't beaten makes it ok????
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by milopixie
That's absolutely despicable, what makes it worse is that these are all handicapped children either adopted or fostered. Where was child services in all of this?
this is very biased ... but they were likely taking a kid from a totally non dangerous home
post #14 of 23
Thread Starter 
Abuse includes denying one of basic necessities...and I definitely consider at least A blanket and A pillow necessities!!!
post #15 of 23
Wow.."there was no abuse" I would lik to see that deputy sleep in a cage with no pillow or blanket and tell me what he thinks of it.
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by milopixie
That's absolutely despicable, what makes it worse is that these are all handicapped children either adopted or fostered. Where was child services in all of this?
That's my first thought, too.
More casualties of a "heavy caseload". Makes me wonder how they manage to live with themselves.
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-n-my guys
That's my first thought, too.
More casualties of a "heavy caseload". Makes me wonder how they manage to live with themselves.
You are so right.
When I was with Family Services and Probation(different than Child Services), my girlfriend found her first job with Child and Family Services here (same as DCF there?).
I had a caseload of 45 while she took over her first caseload of 100+ very disorganized files.
This was her first position in social work!
She got the position after a colleague was fired for misconduct. The poor woman was very overworked.
She never
got
to a little girl who was apprehended from the mother and placed with the father and new stepmom.
The little girl subsequently died from many injuries (if I explained them here, I would make you all sick so I won't)...
I had to go over the police report and it stands as one of the worst cases I have had to deal with. And, believe me, I thought I had read every horrible police report and case file there is. You think you get de-sensitized.

But you don't. It sits there waiting inside.
My girlfriend came home crying every night for a long time.
One of the reasons I am taking a hiatus from the field

Ahhh. that felt good to get out.
post #18 of 23
I just don't understand how anyone could treat children like that. Why???? It just breaks my heart thinking about that. I have two young children and would never even think about doing that. Oh, it just makes me so mad.
post #19 of 23
I seriously doubt that a psychiatrist actually told them to keep the kids in cages. He probably said something like, "keep them separated for their own safety" and the family decided putting them in cages was the best solution. I can't imagine anyone thinking this is appropriate for a child. If separating them becomes so much an issue they shouldn't adopt so many special needs children. I hate to think about how overburdoned our social welfare system is- at my practicum site each case manager had around 75-100 clients- about 30 of which were actively needing regular services. I felt overwhelmed with just twelve!
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by esrgirl
I seriously doubt that a psychiatrist actually told them to keep the kids in cages. He probably said something like, "keep them separated for their own safety" and the family decided putting them in cages was the best solution. I can't imagine anyone thinking this is appropriate for a child. If separating them becomes so much an issue they shouldn't adopt so many special needs children. I hate to think about how overburdoned our social welfare system is- at my practicum site each case manager had around 75-100 clients- about 30 of which were actively needing regular services. I felt overwhelmed with just twelve!
These kids were apparently home schooled and didn't even go to public church. This so-called parents had some sort of home made church for them in their own backyard. Would these "parents" actually take these children to a pshychiatrist?
Sounds like they were trying to prevent exposure of these children to the public.
post #21 of 23
Neighbors saw them playing outside and said they were nice, polite kids. Hard telling what went on in thier minds though, or why they would do something like that. So sad!

Amber
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by esrgirl
I seriously doubt that a psychiatrist actually told them to keep the kids in cages. He probably said something like, "keep them separated for their own safety" and the family decided putting them in cages was the best solution.
I can't believe a doctor would advise them to cage the children. They're just trying to place the blame on someone else now that they've been caught.
post #23 of 23
Maybe the police deputy meant something like -- "there were no visible signs of abuse that would have called attention to these children."

I saw the cages on TV. They are wood and homemade just for the purpose, lined up in what looked like a playroom.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › 11 Children Found Sleeping in Cages...