TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Clear liquid on my bed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Clear liquid on my bed.

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
I just went into my bedroom to find a couple of pools of liquid on my bed, enough to seep through to the matress, through the duvet.

It doesn't smell like anything, and there isn't anything in it... but it must be one of the cats.

What the heck could it be??
post #2 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by home.slice
I just went into my bedroom to find a couple of pools of liquid on my bed, enough to seep through to the matress, through the duvet.

It doesn't smell like anything, and there isn't anything in it... but it must be one of the cats.

What the heck could it be??
Cats can clear liquid or mucous just like we can. Sorry!!
post #3 of 26
Thread Starter 
It's weird because I didnt hear anything, and my cats are acting normal. I don't even know if I'm to feed them or not?! I don't know which one did it either.
post #4 of 26
I would feed them, just keep an eye on them after they eat, watch the litterbox to see if anyone has indications of an intestinal upset.
post #5 of 26
Thread Starter 
I know one of them has softer poops because he is on anti-depressants and I'm pretty sure the medication isn't making him feel so great.
post #6 of 26
Poor guy, maybe it's making him feel nauseated on occasion
post #7 of 26
Thread Starter 
I'm not going to give him the anti-depressant anymore. It seems to be doing more harm then good. His urinary bleeding/crystals seemed to have calmed, but it's making his twitching/licking quirks much more agressive, he is having diarrhea, now throwing up clear liquid and he's gone from the most loveable cat to the moodiest growler :/

I can't do this. I'm so tired form mopping the floors everyday from his poopy bum and having to make sure he hasn't thrown up.


I miss my friendly fuzzy cuddler.
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by home.slice
I'm not going to give him the anti-depressant anymore. It seems to be doing more harm then good. His urinary bleeding/crystals seemed to have calmed, but it's making his twitching/licking quirks much more agressive, he is having diarrhea, now throwing up clear liquid and he's gone from the most loveable cat to the moodiest growler :/

I can't do this. I'm so tired form mopping the floors everyday from his poopy bum and having to make sure he hasn't thrown up.


I miss my friendly fuzzy cuddler.
Please don't just stop the medication, call your vet first, explain, ask if the dose can be adjusted and/or if there is a different one to use. It may be necessary to wean him off this (I have no idea, just saying I'd check).
post #9 of 26
Thread Starter 
they gave him a months worth and it's only been 2.5 weeks. they expected me to just stop after 30 days.

they pills they gave me were pills they had cut in half themselves AND they weren't even all equally cut :/

I'm so stressed out myself now because I've gone through so much with him. his eye surgeries, to his crystals, his constant illnesses and i'm just so depressed myself that he's becomming this consistently sick and moody baby. i feel like nothing seems to actually help him to keep him healthy for a good period of time.

I'm so sorry for my blubbering. I'm just so tired and exhuasted.
post #10 of 26
Tyler and I have dealt with a lot of similar stuff (crystals - bladder surgery for them), kidney failure, high bp, detaching a retina = multiple trips south over an hour to a specialist (and a dang cone he had to wear for over 2 months total...he quit eating, I had to assist feed him for 6 weeks). All I wanted was my aging panther back...we did come out the other side, for now he is stable, no cone, eating, purring when I hold him.

I've had cries, tantrums (with just my husband as witness), felt distraught...and it is exhausting. Try to get some good sleep, and just tell him you love him tonight. Call your vet anyway, I'd still ask if the doseage could be adjusted down or to an every other day for instance.
post #11 of 26
Thread Starter 
What makes it harder is the people in my life don't understand my attachment to him and why I've spent all the money and all my time when he is just "a cat".

It sometimes makes me second guess myself.

Plus I also have a new 4 month old kitten as well in the small apartment, which he's alright, mischeivous, but you know how it is.

I just wish things were easier.
post #12 of 26
Well we understand here!
post #13 of 26
Please go back to the vet... I had a dog that took anti depressants and you do havet to wean them... there are herbal( safe ones) calming agents ... ... I know the its just a cat too ... cry here any tiem
post #14 of 26
Thread Starter 
I'm on anti-depressants, and I didn't think two weeks worth would require a weaning off period.
post #15 of 26
I know it's not directly analogous, but for instance with a cat is on prednisone or prednisolone, they do a slow weaning off even after a less than two week course. Best, truly, to check with your vet...why not be sure it's okay?
post #16 of 26
Candace: People who aren't catlovers like we are may not understand the extent (both emotionally and financially) to which we will go go to care for our furry family members, to give them the best that we can, and to support them when they are failing. I am sorry that some people in your life are making you second guess your decision to protect and care for your kitty. But know that most of us on here know exactly what you're going through, and we know your kitty is more than "just a cat" to you. Personally, I think you're making the right decisions to not give up on him and to fight for his wellbeing, despite the many and varied challenges. Speaking for myself, you're welcome to vent here when it gets too much (of course, youre also welcome to PM me, as well). Maybe we can offer you a little emotional support while you're giving your best to your kitty.
post #17 of 26
Thread Starter 
Thank you very much to all for the support and advice. I will be calling my vet tomorrow about the anti depressants, and also I will be more firmly standing my ground on my fuzzies.

I try to put my foot down with the ones close to me who question my dedication, but I feel I must try harder. It's just hard to understand them when I am pretty linient myself with the cats. I might be gone a night here or there, I'm not frekaing out when I can't feed them EXACTLY on time, etc.

I'll work through it somehow.

I'm sure if my one guy wasn't so constantly perhaps it would be easier on everyone, but that isn't the case.
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by home.slice
I'm not going to give him the anti-depressant anymore. It seems to be doing more harm then good. His urinary bleeding/crystals seemed to have calmed, but it's making his twitching/licking quirks much more agressive, he is having diarrhea, now throwing up clear liquid and he's gone from the most loveable cat to the moodiest growler :/

I can't do this. I'm so tired form mopping the floors everyday from his poopy bum and having to make sure he hasn't thrown up.


I miss my friendly fuzzy cuddler.
What is he on? My cat was on xanax, and he didn't have any of the side effects you described from it.
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by home.slice
I just went into my bedroom to find a couple of pools of liquid on my bed, enough to seep through to the matress, through the duvet.

It doesn't smell like anything, and there isn't anything in it... but it must be one of the cats.

What the heck could it be??

When you talk to the vet, mention the liquid. It's possible that it could be very dilute urine. My kitties Spot and Willow both peed on things a few days ago. Willow's was very concentrated and a deep yellow, while Spot's was almost as clear as water. If I hadn't seen him do it, I would have though something had spilled. You may want to have a follow-up urinalysis done to check the specific gravity and to see if there are crystals. I would be careful about stopping the medication suddenly. Different medications have different half-lives, and (at least in humans) they can have severe withdrawl symptoms. Willow (who has bouts of cystitis, no crystals) was on amitriptyline for a while. It helped, but I made sure to taper very slowly, going from halves to quarters to quarters every other day. I would imagine a cat would become very confused at withdrawl symptoms.

What food is your kitty getting? Some foods will increase the likelihood of crystals. Also, the stress of a new kitten could be aggravating his symptoms. I think Willow's cystitis started when my former roommate moved in with her cats, but it wasn't diagnosed until after she left and Spot joined us. Do the best you can to keep the stress level low, either by investing in Feliway, using the vanilla trick, or anything else that might keep your kitty calm.
post #20 of 26
Hope your cat feels better soon!
post #21 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_shade
When you talk to the vet, mention the liquid. It's possible that it could be very dilute urine. My kitties Spot and Willow both peed on things a few days ago. Willow's was very concentrated and a deep yellow, while Spot's was almost as clear as water. If I hadn't seen him do it, I would have though something had spilled. You may want to have a follow-up urinalysis done to check the specific gravity and to see if there are crystals. I would be careful about stopping the medication suddenly. Different medications have different half-lives, and (at least in humans) they can have severe withdrawl symptoms. Willow (who has bouts of cystitis, no crystals) was on amitriptyline for a while. It helped, but I made sure to taper very slowly, going from halves to quarters to quarters every other day. I would imagine a cat would become very confused at withdrawl symptoms.
He hasn't drank enough water to have that much liquid on the bed! It honestly looked like saliva and I literally stuck my nose right too it (ew) and it smelt like nothing at all.

He is also on a low ph low ash food right now (wysong), and i feed him wet food every other day (wellness).
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by home.slice
What makes it harder is the people in my life don't understand my attachment to him and why I've spent all the money and all my time when he is just "a cat".

It sometimes makes me second guess myself.

Plus I also have a new 4 month old kitten as well in the small apartment, which he's alright, mischeivous, but you know how it is.

I just wish things were easier.
It'll get better, Sweetie!! We'll keep your little guy in our thoughts and prayers!!



I'm so sorry to hear that your little guy is having such a hard time. I can understand how it would be so difficult for you, his mama, to go through, too. We're all thinking of you. Like it was said, be sure to get enough sleep and eat enough. This is a rough time, but you two will get past it together.
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by home.slice
He hasn't drank enough water to have that much liquid on the bed! It honestly looked like saliva and I literally stuck my nose right too it (ew) and it smelt like nothing at all.
Pixel occasionally vomits up saliva, altho it usually has hair in it, making it easier to identify. kitten pee is fairly low odor, but even Java's smells now, & she's about 8 month old. does the vet charge for rechecks? my last one didn't charge for a visit regarding the same problem unless more tests or medication were warranted.
post #24 of 26
Thread Starter 
I gave the vet a ring today and I was told to stop the medication immediately and keep an eye on his movements and etc for the next day or two. If the vomitting happens again or if the runs don't start to stiffen up then I will take him in.

I also have to keep an eye of his urine to make sure the blood doesn't come back because of the crystals.
post #25 of 26
I am glad you called, I hope his stools firm up, and his urine stays clear.
post #26 of 26
Thread Starter 
Last night was still a very loose stool. But I'm giving it one more day as I know it takes a bit for the medication to get out of the system.

I'm still keeping an eye.

But I will say he spent the night chasing the kitten, and keeping me up lol
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Clear liquid on my bed.