TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Questions FIRST TIME Kitten owner
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Questions FIRST TIME Kitten owner

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Hello everyone!! I just recently joined and I have many questions as we are about to adopt a kitten for the first time.
The kitten is only 4 weeks old so we wont be seeing her yet, but once shes ready to leave mom Im curious as to when we need to get her shots (they wont be doing it) and when to get her fixed? The low cost vet clinic I called said they fix them and do shots at the same time and as young as 8 weeks. Isent that too young to have them fixed?? Also when do they need their shots? As soon as I get her or can she wait a bit? She will be an indoor cat BUT we do own a beagle who is 9 months old and UTD with all her shots.
Also fleas?? Being an indoor cat does she need treatment for fleas? The dog is on frontline plus and as its expensive I dont want to treat the cat unless necessary. The cat and dog will be separate for quite some time as Daisy, our beagle, is young and lives pretty much in the kitchen. The cat will have the run of the rest of the house after a week or so of adjusting.
Any insight you ladies can give me would be WONDERFUL!! I have five children ages 2 up to 15 who are so excited and will be a great help.
Thanks again
Liz
post #2 of 22
Congratulations on your new kitten Liz!, i look forward to seeing the little cherub in fur pages when you bring her home

I'll move this to care and grooming for you so the others can see it
post #3 of 22
Welcome and grats on your soon to be new kitty.
I would definitely have her spayed ASAP, if the vet at the clinic does pediatric spays (8 weeks), go for it.
The younger they are, the faster they recover.
8-10 weeks I believe is also the norm for starting shots, most only give a couple at a time at stretch it out so it is less taxing on the kitten.
Our vet starts shots at 8 weeks giving additional shots every two weeks until they are done.
As for fleas, I also only treat my dog and have no problems, so I think you're fine there.
post #4 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizk729
Hello everyone!! I just recently joined and I have many questions as we are about to adopt a kitten for the first time.
The kitten is only 4 weeks old so we wont be seeing her yet, but once shes ready to leave mom Im curious as to when we need to get her shots (they wont be doing it) and when to get her fixed? The low cost vet clinic I called said they fix them and do shots at the same time and as young as 8 weeks. Isent that too young to have them fixed?? Also when do they need their shots? As soon as I get her or can she wait a bit? She will be an indoor cat BUT we do own a beagle who is 9 months old and UTD with all her shots.
Also fleas?? Being an indoor cat does she need treatment for fleas? The dog is on frontline plus and as its expensive I dont want to treat the cat unless necessary. The cat and dog will be separate for quite some time as Daisy, our beagle, is young and lives pretty much in the kitchen. The cat will have the run of the rest of the house after a week or so of adjusting.
Any insight you ladies can give me would be WONDERFUL!! I have five children ages 2 up to 15 who are so excited and will be a great help.
Thanks again
Liz
Welcome!! You should start the shots arond 8 weeks of age. They can be "fixed starting as early a 4 months, but usually around 6 months. You don't have to treat the cat for fleas. If the dog is covered a dn the cat stays inside 90% of the time there will be no problem. Enjoy!!!
post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 
Thank you so much for such quick responses. Ive enjoyed reading on this site and Im assuming Ill be back often for advice and encouragement. I was concerned that it would be too young at 8 weeks but I did hear that they recover quicker when they are younger. Also do you take the cat in every year after the initial set of shots for more shots? Just like a dog??
Thanks so much
Liz
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizk729
Thank you so much for such quick responses. Ive enjoyed reading on this site and Im assuming Ill be back often for advice and encouragement. I was concerned that it would be too young at 8 weeks but I did hear that they recover quicker when they are younger. Also do you take the cat in every year after the initial set of shots for more shots? Just like a dog??
Thanks so much
Liz
Yes... But some people do it every other year if they don't go outside
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizk729
Hello everyone!! I just recently joined and I have many questions as we are about to adopt a kitten for the first time.
The kitten is only 4 weeks old so we wont be seeing her yet, but once shes ready to leave mom Im curious as to when we need to get her shots (they wont be doing it) and when to get her fixed? The low cost vet clinic I called said they fix them and do shots at the same time and as young as 8 weeks. Isent that too young to have them fixed?? Also when do they need their shots? As soon as I get her or can she wait a bit? She will be an indoor cat BUT we do own a beagle who is 9 months old and UTD with all her shots.
Also fleas?? Being an indoor cat does she need treatment for fleas? The dog is on frontline plus and as its expensive I dont want to treat the cat unless necessary. The cat and dog will be separate for quite some time as Daisy, our beagle, is young and lives pretty much in the kitchen. The cat will have the run of the rest of the house after a week or so of adjusting.
Any insight you ladies can give me would be WONDERFUL!! I have five children ages 2 up to 15 who are so excited and will be a great help.
Thanks again
Liz


Hi, and welcome to TCS! I've read on kitten-rescue.com "he'll need his first set of vaccinations at 8 weeks. These are temporary vaccinations only and another set of vaccinations will be required when the kitten is 12 weeks old, followed by a final booster at 16 weeks of age. Adult cats should be vaccinated every year to maintain immunity." Cats should usually be fixed between the ages of 4-7 months, at least that's what I've heard. There should be one of the MODs on here soon to answer the spay/neuter question better than I can! In any case, there's always people on here who are very experienced and more than willing to answer any questions you may have! Again, welcome to the family!
post #8 of 22
I do take my cats in for boosters, but really that is because I have 6 cats, and a mother in law whom I visit that has 30 rescue cats, I don't want them to get ill from anything I might bring in.
Well, I'd bring them in yearly anyway for their checkups, and a few select shots, Rabies is mandatory by law (not to mention a good idea).
I think when it was just me and two cats we did rabies, FIP/FIV and one other that slips my mind now.
Most vets are really good about discussing with you which vaccs are absolutely necessary according to each individual situation.
post #9 of 22
Thread Starter 
Thanks again!!
For those of you still reading here I have another question?? Is $45 a good price for getting the kitten fixed when we get her or should I look around for a lower cost?
Thanks
Liz
post #10 of 22
I dont think you will find much lower than $45 for a spay that is for sure. Cheap around here is $50 plus pain meds. Usualy they are $100 or more for everything.

Early Spay is a good idea! they recover faster and you will have a happier kitten if your vet does it. Go for it.
post #11 of 22
Thread Starter 
Ok thanks so much!! I figured we would give her a week or so to adjust to the move and then take her in.
Liz
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizk729
Thanks again!!
For those of you still reading here I have another question?? Is $45 a good price for getting the kitten fixed when we get her or should I look around for a lower cost?
Thanks
Liz
That is a great price to get her fixed. We payed $300 to spay Sage.
post #13 of 22
Thread Starter 
Yikes.....I cant even imagine paying $300 to fix a cat. Ouch.....with five kids that would be way too much for us.lol
Im thinking that we will take her in at 8 weeks and get the shots and her fixed at the same time. They do it that early and most people are telling me the sooner the better so she will heal quicker. I just hate the thought of leaving her at the vets all day alone with no love when she wakes up. We had to do it for our puppy though and she survived so I guess the kitten will too.
Thanks again
Liz
post #14 of 22
I also paid $300! So you are getting off easy! Enjoy your new kitten
post #15 of 22
Welcome to TCS! I'm sure you will enjoy being a cat mom!
post #16 of 22
Thread Starter 
Thanks.
Its funny......we dont even have her yet and she is going to be totally spoiled with all the stuff we have here for her.lol We just won a kitty condo off of ebay so shes going to be in kitty heaven when she arrives. We are so excited though.
Liz
post #17 of 22
First of all, I'd get a few basic cat care books out - that will answer a lot of your questions. You didn't say how old the kitten will be when you get them. I prefer getting a kitten at 12 weeks old at the youngest. They need to go thru certain social steps and have a chance to play/learn from mom and littermates.

When you get the kitten, take him/her to the vet within 48 hrs to get checked out. They will start the shots then. Personally, I'd wait till the kitten is about 6 months old for spaying; 8 months for neutering. But you have to be able to make sure your cat doesn't get outside.

With the age of your kids (youngest being 2 yrs old) that might be a problem. So talk to your vet about the earliest he/she will spay/neuter them and go by that.

Teach your kids the proper way to handle a kitten - NEVER hold by the back of the neck with the legs not supported! Only the mother cat should carry them that way. Don't let the kids overwhelm the kitten - young kittens need lots of rest.

Last of all DO NOT DECLAW - learn to trim the nails and teach the kitten to use a good sturdy scratching post - not the cheap little ones you find in the store. When you declaw, you can create more problems - biting in defense or not using the litter pan.

As far as the dog - you shouldn't have to worry about fleas if the dog is protected and the cat never goes outside.
post #18 of 22
Thread Starter 
Wow thanks that was alot of information. Why would my youngest be a problem with getting the kitten fixed?
We are getting her at 6 weeks of age. And we made an appt to have her fixed when she will be 9 weeks or close to 10 weeks. They cant get her in any sooner for the surgery and they said I should wait to get the shots at the same time?? Is that a problem? Id rather wait and do it all at once as well. As for declawing Im not sure how I feel on that. Ive read alot of what people have said and Ive read up on it as well and right now we are leaning towards it but we shall see. I have clippers and clip the dogs so we will try hers when she gets her and I got her a good scratching post so if she does Ok and the kids survive it we will not be declawing her. Ive also read about soft paws so thats an option as well. Just undecided right now!
My children are REALly good with animals and we will teach them the right way to hold the kitten. They actually visit this kitten often and do fine with her.
Oh and for getting her fixed now, the vet said that she would recover quicker now than when shes older and they do it as young as 8 weeks old here.
Ok thanks again.
Liz
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizk729
Wow thanks that was alot of information. Why would my youngest be a problem with getting the kitten fixed?
We are getting her at 6 weeks of age. And we made an appt to have her fixed when she will be 9 weeks or close to 10 weeks. They cant get her in any sooner for the surgery and they said I should wait to get the shots at the same time?? Is that a problem? Id rather wait and do it all at once as well. As for declawing Im not sure how I feel on that. Ive read alot of what people have said and Ive read up on it as well and right now we are leaning towards it but we shall see. I have clippers and clip the dogs so we will try hers when she gets her and I got her a good scratching post so if she does Ok and the kids survive it we will not be declawing her. Ive also read about soft paws so thats an option as well. Just undecided right now!
My children are REALly good with animals and we will teach them the right way to hold the kitten. They actually visit this kitten often and do fine with her.
Oh and for getting her fixed now, the vet said that she would recover quicker now than when shes older and they do it as young as 8 weeks old here.
Ok thanks again.
Liz

I think GoldenKitty meant that you're 2-year-old may be likely to inadvertently let the kitten outside
post #20 of 22
Thread Starter 
Got it now. lol Thankfully I wont have to worry about that. To get outside you either have to go out our front door (which we dont use) Or go out the kitchen side door. Well the kitchen side door is BLOCKED. Well not really but out puppy lives in our kitchen and we have baby gates at the kitchen door to the living room and from the kitchen down the basement stairs to the side door, so my almost 2 year old can not even reach the door without our help and I dont think kitty will be visiting the dog just yet.
Liz
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizk729
Wow thanks that was alot of information. Why would my youngest be a problem with getting the kitten fixed?
We are getting her at 6 weeks of age. And we made an appt to have her fixed when she will be 9 weeks or close to 10 weeks. They cant get her in any sooner for the surgery and they said I should wait to get the shots at the same time?? Is that a problem? Id rather wait and do it all at once as well. As for declawing Im not sure how I feel on that. Ive read alot of what people have said and Ive read up on it as well and right now we are leaning towards it but we shall see. I have clippers and clip the dogs so we will try hers when she gets her and I got her a good scratching post so if she does Ok and the kids survive it we will not be declawing her. Ive also read about soft paws so thats an option as well. Just undecided right now!
My children are REALly good with animals and we will teach them the right way to hold the kitten. They actually visit this kitten often and do fine with her.
Oh and for getting her fixed now, the vet said that she would recover quicker now than when shes older and they do it as young as 8 weeks old here.
Ok thanks again.
Liz
Why so young? 6 weeks is a very young age to get a kitten.
post #22 of 22
Thread Starter 
I responded to you in the other post so hopefully youll see that but just in case.lol
I know the kitten is young, but thats the way the owners want it and Like I said Im Ok with it.......many kittens are adopted at this age, weither its the best for them or not....well I think theyd benefit from being with mom longer, but if it cant be at least I know she will be in a loving home with us.
Thanks
Liz
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Care & Grooming
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Questions FIRST TIME Kitten owner