TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Does slim fast work?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Does slim fast work?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Ok I've had a weight problem for a long time and I used to be on weight watchers and lost 10 pounds but gained them right back

So now I'm trying slim fast because usually when I just have something to drink I'm fine for a few hours. Is what I'm doing right now is having slim fast for breakfast..a snack for lunch (since during lunch i'm at school anyway) when I come home around 1 o' clock or so I'll have a sandwich or something else meal related. And I'm wondering if Slim Fast really does help you lose weight?
post #2 of 18
Tooo Too much sugar... a better option I found is Pria s new shake in vanilla and choclate... Pm me if any ???
post #3 of 18
I've found that Slim-Fast, Weight-Watchers, Atkins, etc. don't do much in the long term. They are okay for short-term loss, but you will gain it right back.
The best way to loose weight is by cutting out high-calorie foods and getting plenty of excercize. I didn't change a thing in my diet and I lost 5 lbs in a month just by walking during my breaks at work (total of about 45-60 minutes) and for about 20-30 minutes every other evening. Take a walk during lunch at school, and after you finish your homework. Excercize doesn't have to be aerobics or running or kickboxing. It can be low-impact, too...which is a LOT easier on your joints.
Also, if you drink a lot of pop, switch to diet. It has 0 calories. I lost another 5 lbs that way.
You might want to talk to your doctor and see if he or she can give you a good diet and excercize plan for you. Keep in mind that some people will naturally be heavier than others due to bone structure, muscle mass, metabolism and other factors that you can't really control.
Weight, as long as it isn't extreme, isn't as important as being fit. You can be a little overweight and still be fit and healthy.
post #4 of 18
I tried with that but I think the best is do a good excercise at least 30 min dayli even the sundays......and eat Fruit and Vegetables...........

Good luck!
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe'n'MissKitty
I've found that Slim-Fast, Weight-Watchers, Atkins, etc. don't do much in the long term. They are okay for short-term loss, but you will gain it right back.
With respect to weight, I don't think it's fair to make such a blanket statement, in stating you "will gain it right back". Weight Watchers is quite different from Slim-Fast. You can't really put the two into the same category. WW is about lifestyle, it's not a diet, you buy regular food, and they emphasize nutrition and exercise. It's a science actually, all the literature is solid, and I have been researching the program for some time.

I had my first meeting today, and a number of people there have been doing it for a long time. One girl actually met her goal today. There are many people that have kept the weight off by sticking with what the program promotes, even if they aren't going to the meetings (which aren't mandatory -- there's online support as well). I've read a number of success stories from WW, which is what has attracted me to their program.

I've never been one for fad diets (Slim-Fast is one to me), and have lost weight on my own before doing what you've mentioned, but WW will help me keep on track, because with all the meds I've been taking, I can't get into the same frame of mind I was when losing weight before, and need the help this time.
post #6 of 18
I used Slim Fast in college. While it can work for some people, it is generally not a good way to keep the weight off. Changing to a healthy diet and getting exercise is still the best way to reach and maintain your goal. Good luck, hon.
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespacat
With respect to weight, I don't think it's fair to make such a blanket statement, in stating you "will gain it right back". Weight Watchers is quite different from Slim-Fast. You can't really put the two into the same category. WW is about lifestyle, it's not a diet, you buy regular food, and they emphasize nutrition and exercise. It's a science actually, all the literature is solid, and I have been researching the program for some time.

I had my first meeting today, and a number of people there have been doing it for a long time. One girl actually met her goal today. There are many people that have kept the weight off by sticking with what the program promotes, even if they aren't going to the meetings (which aren't mandatory -- there's online support as well). I've read a number of success stories from WW, which is what has attracted me to their program.

I've never been one for fad diets (Slim-Fast is one to me), and have lost weight on my own before doing what you've mentioned, but WW will help me keep on track, because with all the meds I've been taking, I can't get into the same frame of mind I was when losing weight before, and need the help this time.
Good luck with the WW program. I've known people who HAVE lost weight on WW and kept it off. The problem is that in general, people will go off the diet as soon as they loose what they wanted to loose, and they will gain it all right back. That's not to say that everyone is going to have that experience. Just the people who don't stay on their diet...which, in my experience, is a lot of people. But as long as you stick to it, the weight does stay off.
post #8 of 18
the only tired and true way to lose weight is to watch calories (you can eat whatever you want that way) and excersize. In the end of the day, you just need to burn off more calories then you take in.
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe'n'MissKitty
Good luck with the WW program. I've known people who HAVE lost weight on WW and kept it off. The problem is that in general, people will go off the diet as soon as they loose what they wanted to loose, and they will gain it all right back. That's not to say that everyone is going to have that experience. Just the people who don't stay on their diet...which, in my experience, is a lot of people. But as long as you stick to it, the weight does stay off.
Very true. Generally speaking, people who "have a weight problem" are going to have a weight problem their entire lives and have to get the mindset that whatever they're doing is going to have to be for life. I lost 50# when I was dating my hubby and was down to my ideal weight after a lifetime of being chubby and overweight. I kept it off for 15 years. I've finally gained it back, but I've been very bad the last couple of years with stress eating, lack of structured exercise ("I'll do it tomorrow, I don't fell like it right now...") and just generally too many empty calories.

Diet, exercise, watch what you eat, and just generally realize you're going to have to do it for the rest of your life.
post #10 of 18
I think more than all that fancy slim fast stuff it's just best to keep active and eat healthy.

I'm a very slim person myself but my family has alot of genetically related heart disease so I workout 3 times a week and try to eat healthy food as much as possible.

I go to a great workout place..no guys allowed and we all support eachother...no one ever judges you or anything like that...very good group..and they are located all over North America. If that sounds like something that would interest you..PM me if you'd like.

It's all a personal choice though...whatever works best for you and your lifestyle!
post #11 of 18
For a teen, I especially do not think that Slim Fast is a way to lose weight, not to mention that it just doesn't work. Best to see your dcotor for some weight loss advice.
post #12 of 18
I should have been more clear... I use Pria as a breakfast not for wt control it happened to help me loss a bot of wt ./// If you are under 18 see a dr
post #13 of 18
healthy food, and healthy exerise are gonna be the best bet. You should speak to your doctor, they can be alot of help. or even refer you to a nutritionist.
post #14 of 18
The key factors of any weight-loss program are exercise and portion control. Slim Fast is about portion control, as you only drink a shake for breakfast and lunch, but if you already practice portion control, you won't see great results from Slim Fast or any portion control diet. Slim Fast is good for people who are too busy to cook or just want the convenience of a shake or meal bar for meals.

Any diet that's healthy (i.e. has the necessary vitamins and minerals), combined with exercise WILL make you lose weight, but the key is to stick with it. If you want to lose weight, you have to find something that's easiest for YOU to stick with. For some people it's something easy like Slim Fast and for some people it's plans with more real food, or plans with lower carbs.

Of course any time you take in less calories than you burn off, you'll lose weight. So you can choose to simply eat healthier, but that's easier said than done for a lot of people, which is where Slim Fast and Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig and plans like that come in.

Good luck. (Remember: exercise is necessary! I know, it sucks! )
post #15 of 18
I always had a weight problem until I started excersising and eating right! It really works.
post #16 of 18
Slim Fast...oh yeah.. I did this one some 20+ years ago...had only shakes or their meal replacement bars and one small meal a day. Wacked out my body but good. It's just not real food! The best thing you can do, is find a way of eating you can live with, along with working regular exercise into your diet.

If I can be so revolutionary..try eating real food - no frozen, premade, packaged, boxed (just add chicken!) stuff...it's all full of sugars, artificial sugars, salt and chemical garbage.

You'll do much better with real foods with real fiber, in appropriate portions. And making these changes now, will save you much in terms of health problems in the future from yo-yo dieting.

If you choose weight watchers, get to goal, keep attending and stay at goal. I am a wonderfully successful for 12 weeks at a time, multi-time member of weight watchers who gained it all back plus more each time, landing me in a place where I need one H of a stringent way of eating now.

Trust me, I so wish I'd accomplished my goals in my 20's.
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

If I can be so revolutionary..try eating real food - no frozen, premade, packaged, boxed (just add chicken!) stuff...it's all full of sugars, artificial sugars, salt and chemical garbage.

You'll do much better with real foods with real fiber, in appropriate portions. And making these changes now, will save you much in terms of health problems in the future from yo-yo dieting.

If you choose weight watchers, get to goal, keep attending and stay at goal. I am a wonderfully successful for 12 weeks at a time, multi-time member of weight watchers who gained it all back plus more each time, landing me in a place where I need one H of a stringent way of eating now.

Trust me, I so wish I'd accomplished my goals in my 20's.
That appropriate portion is what gets me..lmao.. I eat well and exercise but eat like a teenage boy portion wise...lol.. and am lossing this way
post #18 of 18
There was a tv programme in the UK a while back called 'Diet Busters' and they basically got a group of people, put them all on famous diets and then kept track of their progress to see which one was best. The results showed that the best diet is the one that suits you! If you can handle just drinking a milkshake all day, then slimfast is your best bet. If you can be bothered counting calories and you can stick to it, then do a calorie controlled diet. If you need support, weight watchers is the one for you. If you love meat, Atkins.

The best diet is one that fits in around YOUR life, and doesn't make you feel miserable. I can't do slimfast, I'd starve! I tried counting calories and found it incredibly easy!! I lost about 2 stone in a month and a half, and it didn't for a second feel as if I was on a diet - I was just being healthy. It made me more aware of what I eat, and the alternatives available.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Does slim fast work?