TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Help me choose a restaurant?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help me choose a restaurant? - Page 2

post #31 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveysmummy
No, but my BF used to live with that GLenda woman who is always in the paper after she has been arrested for sit ins to block the mosquito fogging trucks...She was a roommate though, nothing else He said she has always been pretty crazy.

I go to Price Chopper too.. for its cheapness.

Go and support the theatre..Its a real piece of history that deserved a re-opening...and they have the best coffee..Did I say I liked coffee? ..

p.s if you wanna say hi and need a good discount on books or antiques, I am pretty close to you. You should know where it is.
Well, it depends on what they're showing. That's downright weird your BF knew Glenda! "Malathion! It was used in Auwshuitz, Auwshuitz!!!!!" (It wasn't. They used Zyklon B.) Price Chopper Rules!!!! Buying the produce there is like getting it for free compared to safeway!
post #32 of 44
Thread Starter 
Here's a great local site:
www.newwinnipeg.com

that debates Winnipeg local issues ad nauseum....including the malathion thing..

Some pretty interesting characters and some good debate.


You can't beat the salad in a bag for 36 cents. Yes, it really was that price the last time I was there!
post #33 of 44
Thread Starter 
Also everyone, BF reminded me that we went to Ivory for last year's anniversary.
He also reminded me that due to the long wait and the $7 martinis that I ended up singing the entire "Star Spangled Banner" with the Americans at the next table.
They were entirely stoked that I knew the whole song.
When we got to Canada's national anthem though, they grew quiet.
I forgave them as they were really cool Minnesotans
post #34 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveysmummy
Here's a great local site:
www.newwinnipeg.com

that debates Winnipeg local issues ad nauseum....including the malathion thing..

Some pretty interesting characters and some good debate.


You can't beat the salad in a bag for 36 cents. Yes, it really was that price the last time I was there!
Did I miss something about where the salad is sold? That site has some heated debates. BTW, I might pop in some time. I'll be easy to recognize if you've seen my photo in the PicturesPitcures thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveysmummy
Also everyone, BF reminded me that we went to Ivory for last year's anniversary.
He also reminded me that due to the long wait and the $7 martinis that I ended up singing the entire "Star Spangled Banner" with the Americans at the next table.
They were entirely stoked that I knew the whole song.
When we got to Canada's national anthem though, they grew quiet.
I forgave them as they were really cool Minnesotans
Heheh... that was nice of you. I think some people are too tough on Americans for not knowing stuff.
post #35 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by katspixiedust
I'm totally in the minority here and I know the place I chose is going to lose out, but I picked Wasabi. I think sushi is such a fun, interesting, and often romantic date food. Plus since it's in a victorian home (my favorite) it's even more appealing. I'm not sure about around there, but around here great italian food isn't as hard to come by as great sushi!

Regardless, have a blast and congrats on your anniversary!
I am with you on this and chose Wasabi also for those very same reasons.
post #36 of 44
Italian food and the atmosphere of the restaurant can be very romantic and intimate. The food is excellent with italian food. Just remember the scene in Lady and the Tramp where they have spagetti together under the moon with the italian chef singing to them. How cozy.
post #37 of 44
Thread Starter 
Ok, Ryan, found your pic..will watch out for you. You aren't how I pictured you but are cute all the same!

The salad reference was to the aformentioned Price Chopper produce prices....
I used to live 2 blocks away but still go there for big trips to the store.
Kats and Tanya: Its hard to choose between a renovated Victorian and anything else, I agree..

Taffygirl: Good reference! I love that scene! The same movie where all the puppies coming out looking like them mom, save one...I also love the "we are siamese, if you please" scene...though it didn't enhance the Siamese character any.
post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveysmummy
Ok, Ryan, found your pic..will watch out for you. You aren't how I pictured you but are cute all the same!

The salad reference was to the aformentioned Price Chopper produce prices....
I used to live 2 blocks away but still go there for big trips to the store.
Kats and Tanya: Its hard to choose between a renovated Victorian and anything else, I agree..

Taffygirl: Good reference! I love that scene! The same movie where all the puppies coming out looking like them mom, save one...I also love the "we are siamese, if you please" scene...though it didn't enhance the Siamese character any.
Oh right! I only eat salads in restaurants, so I wasn't even thinking of Price Chopper. (Isn't the hammer just right for that store? Thanks for the compliment. By the way, have a great anniversary dinner with your boyfriend! Have you decided where yet?
post #39 of 44
Love Japanese food so I chose Wasabi.
post #40 of 44
Couldn't choose between Japanese and Italian.
If there is a genuine Japanese chef then go for it, you can get full without feeling bloated.
post #41 of 44
Thread Starter 
Thanks all.. We are leaning towards Cafe Carlo. Yes, there is a trad. Japanese chef at Wasabi...but I only really eat Sashimi anyway (the unraw fish kind of Sushi) though it is still delish. IE) dynamite roll, california roll, cucumber roll...

And the fact that I have already been to that restaurant/converted Victorian. (only then it was called Panic) Now, that was great food... I heard that Wasabi is the traditional sit on the floor in your own room kind of Japanese restaurant now. (Though this could prove very romantic too

But anywhere that sets a minimum price per person, I get kind of turned off at...

I think the majority has this one and it looks like we are going to Cafe Carlo for now!

Thanks again all!

(yes, Ryan...that hammer is great for Price Chopper..I can hear a commercial in my head when I see it...

BTW: I think its cute that Eatrawfish chose Cafe Carlo as opposed to Wasabi
post #42 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveysmummy
Thanks SO SO SO SO SO SO SO Much for implying that I am "younger".
Can I adopt you?
Well. . . My first question was going to be, "What were you doing in 1967?" Then I checked on your birthdate.
post #43 of 44
Thread Starter 

I was -(negative) 5 years old...

post #44 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveysmummy
Thanks all.. We are leaning towards Cafe Carlo. Yes, there is a trad. Japanese chef at Wasabi...but I only really eat Sashimi anyway (the unraw fish kind of Sushi) though it is still delish. IE) dynamite roll, california roll, cucumber roll...

And the fact that I have already been to that restaurant/converted Victorian. (only then it was called Panic) Now, that was great food... I heard that Wasabi is the traditional sit on the floor in your own room kind of Japanese restaurant now. (Though this could prove very romantic too

But anywhere that sets a minimum price per person, I get kind of turned off at...

I think the majority has this one and it looks like we are going to Cafe Carlo for now!

Thanks again all!

(yes, Ryan...that hammer is great for Price Chopper..I can hear a commercial in my head when I see it...

BTW: I think its cute that Eatrawfish chose Cafe Carlo as opposed to Wasabi
Is the minimum price a cover charge that is added on your bill or that it requires you to spend at least $15. If they require to spend at least $15 then it should be ok since I have never eaten good japanese (sashimi) food outside of Japan for less than $15. For example, toro sashimi can range from the $20 to $60 for 4 pieces.

I have a few rules to help in determining a good Japanese restaurant quite apart for actually trying it.
1) Jap Chef / And if the waitress actually speaks Japanese (not just the greeting) that is even better.
2) Number of actual Japanese visiting the restaurant. Connected to this is the availability of the menu in Japanese.
3) Name of the food on the menu. The more they use proper names rather than wierd English names that does not even describe the food at all.
4) Spread of the menu especially the sashimi to include stuff like toro or uni/sea urchin, etc.
5) The willingness of the chef to create a dish for you which is not available on the menu.

The question is how good is the Japanese restaurant because there is nothing wrong eating only one type of food. I have had entire meals with just sashimi and have been to restaurant that specialise in tempura etc. And it need not all be raw fish. Some Japanese restaurants have this nice hot stone meal where they bring out a big stone that is hot and you place your meat on it and it sizzles in front of you as you play/cook with the food.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Help me choose a restaurant?