TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › This is ok isnt it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

This is ok isnt it?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
LG the cat we took in who wasnt fixed, but is now. used to be an outside/inside cat. He hates his harness and all in all refused to wear it to go outside. well the last couple of days I have let him out. without harness. but I sit outside with him. he usually wanders about 20-30 feet away from me than comes back. and stays in that radius.

hes vaccianted and has flea treatment and all that good stuff. And he just seems so HAPPY when i let him out. he purrs a mile a minute, something he rarely does in the house.

So..i usually only go out with harness that being said..do you think this is ok? since i am supervising?
post #2 of 17
I would maybe get him a cat run, or even a screened in porch if that's an option. Gizmo goes out on the back step to the dog run sometimes, and I'm always afraid she's going to jump over the fence (it goes by the top of the steps, only a foot or so above the steps) or something. I'm paranoid! Gizmo really doesn't have that much energy, but it scares me anyways.

Amber
post #3 of 17
Most people here would say no way - no outside at all. But I think it depends on the cat and the area - plus supervision.
post #4 of 17
Thread Starter 
Well i am usually a no way no outside at all person myself. (unless on harness) but he honestly loves to play outside. just loves it. this cat hardly EVER purrs...and when hes outside..a mile a minute PURR PURR PURR. he had id tags and our main yard is 1 acre fenced. And when its time to come in he lets me pick him up and bring him in no problemo.
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon
I think it depends on the cat and the area - plus supervision.
I agree with this. I tend to think it's important for cats to be HAPPY too - a quality of life thing for some cats.
post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanW
I agree with this. I tend to think it's important for cats to be HAPPY too - a quality of life thing for some cats.

I agree he needs to be happy. he was MISERABLE for a while. Depressed not coming to see us, and he was looseing large amounts of hair. well a few design things and his trips outside later..hes doing great he comes and sleeps with us again..

hes got a nice full shinny coat again!
post #7 of 17
i let my cat out all the time without harness or collar or anything. they usualy come back unharmed if you live by a busy road i wouldnt just let her out. i would also sugest you find out wut kind of neighbourhood you live in if there is dangerous dogs or people who might harm her. because we learned the hard way. if its safe i would just let her go her way cuz by the sound of it she really enjoys the outdoors like my cat
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazimauw
i let my cat out all the time without harness or collar or anything. they usualy come back unharmed if you live by a busy road i wouldnt just let her out. i would also sugest you find out wut kind of neighbourhood you live in if there is dangerous dogs or people who might harm her. because we learned the hard way. if its safe i would just let her go her way cuz by the sound of it she really enjoys the outdoors like my cat
I think "usually" is the key word in your statement.
I would suggest a cat enclosure, to not find out "the hard way" what can happen to the cat that is let out.
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
I know my neighbor hood very well. No dangerous dogs at this time. Strays can always crop up. but I agree with Elizwithcat, "usually" is not a word i like. Also I would never allow Him out without me being present with the current arrangement. that being said. I think I am going to construct something near our dog kennel to keep LG better enclosed.

When we get our own home and are not renters I have BIG plans for a whole three season porch with outdoor enclosure..tehehe
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms
I know my neighbor hood very well. No dangerous dogs at this time. Strays can always crop up. but I agree with Elizwithcat, "usually" is not a word i like. Also I would never allow Him out without me being present with the current arrangement. that being said. I think I am going to construct something near our dog kennel to keep LG better enclosed.

When we get our own home and are not renters I have BIG plans for a whole three season porch with outdoor enclosure..tehehe
Hissy has build a gigantic cat enclosure. It looks like cat heaven. I realize not everybody can build something like that, but sure would be nice to have something like that for cats to run in.
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms
I agree he needs to be happy. he was MISERABLE for a while. Depressed not coming to see us, and he was looseing large amounts of hair. well a few design things and his trips outside later..hes doing great he comes and sleeps with us again..

hes got a nice full shinny coat again!
I think this answers your question. While we all certainly want QUANTITY of life for our cats (we'd like them to live forever!), I personally think QUALITY of life is just as important. A long miserable existence is not a good life.

You said your yard is one acre and is fenced so I don't see a problem. If I lived in a rural area I would check further into Purrfect Fence - they are not inexpensive but it looks like an option worth checking out.
post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
wow thats a nice fence system..he doesnt climb at all when hes out.

Ah well..he wants to go out for a little bit now. so i better take him tehehe
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon
Most people here would say no way - no outside at all. But I think it depends on the cat and the area - plus supervision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanW
I agree with this. I tend to think it's important for cats to be HAPPY too - a quality of life thing for some cats.
I agree with these 2 statements.

while a large cat enclosure is everyones dream, we all know its not always possible.

My 2 boys are indoor/outdoor cats. They would be miserable if they were inside only. Having said that, indoor/outdoor cats are common here in Australia and I have no predators in the area, except for cars.

They are happy - and I believe its all about their quality of life as well. Its important for them to enjoy their life.

I think your doing the right thing personally, although you will find many will disagree. Be careful this doesnt end up being a heated discussion as has happened so many times before.
post #14 of 17
I think you sound like a smart, responsible cat-lover, and you probably know what's best for him. I would only be worried about birds, rabbits, squirrels, and other cats that might come around and make him chase them, causing him to get away from you. Or maybe even possibly climbing a tree and not coming down, if there are any around you. But you thought of all that, I'm sure! I certainly wouldn't be one to tell you he should be indoors at all times, or to force him to wear a harness he hates. He sounds like he loves it out there--and I don't blame him!

That Purrfect fence looks nice!
post #15 of 17
I think it is okay since you love out in the country and can see him
post #16 of 17
Thread Starter 
Oh yes before he goes out i have a little set up of Al.foil that i put up around the base of the trees for as tall as I am. we dont have many in the yard which is nice. So he cant climb. he hasnt shown any interest but tehehe for him.

Glad i am doing the ok thing. he just is sooo sooo happy when he gets to be outside. I have never seen him so happy.
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms
he just is sooo sooo happy when he gets to be outside. I have never seen him so happy.
IMO that tells me that your doing the right thing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › This is ok isnt it?