TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care › What can I do to get my cat pregnant?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What can I do to get my cat pregnant?  

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
Jessie (my cat) just doesn't seem to get pregnant or want to give a litter (which I would love).

Is there any steps I can take to help the process along a bit?
post #2 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penfold
Jessie (my cat) just doesn't seem to get pregnant or want to give a litter (which I would love).

Is there any steps I can take to help the process along a bit?
This is from the forum guidelines:

As a general rule, TCS is primarily concerned with cat welfare. Because of our strong committment to responsible cat care and treatment, we do promote and strongly encourage a pro-spay/neuter policy here. Unless you are an experienced, responsible, ethical breeder of pedigreed cats, we do not advocate breeding.

If your cat isn't a purebred in a responsible breeding program..then may I suggest you consider fostering a pregnant cat from a shelter or rescue. There may be a genetic or even a health reason why your girl cannot get pregnant and trying to force the matter may result in unhealthy kittens.

Katie
post #3 of 21
Can I start by asking you why you want her to become pregnant?
post #4 of 21
Thread Starter 
Hi Katie,

Its ok I am an experienced breader, just this time I am stumped.

I think she has purebred routes but it looks like she has had some others in her.

Well I just want her to litter kittens (we lve on a farm) and the kids would love it.

Penny
post #5 of 21
Forgive me if I am wrong but as I understand it, when you say you are an experienced breeder you mean that you have had cats who have had kittens? You are not part of a recognised breeding programme relating to a specific registered breed of cat?
Your cat is of no specific breed, but a family pet whom you are hoping will have kittens so the children can experience the birth and raising of the kittens?

While I understand your sentiments, can I beg you not to do this? There are so many unwanted kittens in the world, and they are being killed every day because there are not enough homes. Many TCS members foster kittens and pregnant cats and let their children (and themselves) take part in the miracle of birth that way. Then as soon as possible, the mama cats and the kittens are spayed and neutered to help the problem of over population. Even if you think you can find good homes for the kittens your cat might have, consider the kittens in shelters that will therefore miss out on a home and will be put to sleep.

I am sure other TCS members will be along to say the same thing - please have your cat spayed and foster a poor homeless pregnant cat to give her and her kittens the comfort they deserve at a difficult time, within a loving and concerned family. TCS members welcome each birth with joy and congratulate the family concerned, but while celebrating new life we hate the circumstances that necessitate thousands of cats being murdered every day, and we try to persuade people into responsible actions to lessen this terrible evil.
post #6 of 21
^^^^ My sentiments exactly, I just couldn't find the words.

Please, please if you want to experience the miracle of birth, foster an already pregnant mum.
post #7 of 21
Hi, Penny, welcome to The Cat Site. I also live on a farm, and we have barn cats. When we first moved out here, I got 3 female kittens and did not spay them. I wanted to experience the joy of kittens with my kids.

We did have several litters. The first litter was great, they were so cute. I rehomed all of them, one going to a close childhood friend for his daughter. She had chosen a little orange baby, and named it Ginger. Well, the day she came to pick up Ginger, she couldn't catch her, so she ended up grabbing the Momma cat and said, "I'll take this one." Finally, she got a little gray kitten, who still ended up named Ginger!

The next litter (different Momma), we lost about half of the kittens. I'm not sure if the kids handled them too early, or what. We kept one of those kittens, and had Momma spayed and the kitten neutered.

The next litter, from the third cat, the kittens did fine. Then, as they got older and were walking around the yard, one got too close to our dog, who killed him. The rest were rehomed when old enough. We spayed that Momma too.

But we let the first Momma have a few more litters, she was such a good Momma! Once she had a litter in the early spring, though, and when they were old enough to walk they came out of the nest and walked around, and almost froze to death. I brought them into the garage with her (out of the barn), and put them on a heating pad. I didn't bring her in the house, because she had always been a barn cat, and was terrified inside. Once the kits got old enough to crawl out of the big box I had them in, they both wandered outside and froze to death.

The plan was to let her have one more litter, then spay her. She gave birth to 2 kittens, and I didn't realize it but she must have had another kitten inside, and she died. So did the two kittens. I gave up letting cats reproduce at my house. Although the kittens were fun, out in the yard, and the kids enjoyed the ones that lived, it was just too sad when we kept losing them.

And the only rehomed kitten that I kept in touch with was Ginger, who had a litter of her own before getting spayed.


Sorry to be so long winded. It sounds like you just wanted one litter. But I would seriously advise against it. What I started doing April 04 is fostering pregnant cats. Yes, you can still lose kittens, as I did with this litter. But at least you aren't the one who chose to allow those kittens to come into the world. It is a great opportunity to have kittens in the house while saving a Momma cat and litter who might otherwise be euthanized. And if you have bred purebreds before, you are already knowledgable about the subject. Best of luck to you and yours!
Becky
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penfold
Hi Katie,

Its ok I am an experienced breader, just this time I am stumped.

I think she has purebred routes but it looks like she has had some others in her.

Well I just want her to litter kittens (we lve on a farm) and the kids would love it.

Penny
Hey Penny...thanks for responding. By responsible breeder, I think we are talking about 2 different things (although I can appreciate that you are responsible on your farm). Although your cat may in fact have some purebred heritage...she herself isn't purebred. By responsible purebred breeder, I am referring to individuals who are trying to maintain a bloodline for a particuliar breed of cat...that is a bit different than what you are trying to accomplish by breeding your cat.

I understand you would like your cat to have kittens...however, I would encourage you to explore the fostering route. For one thing, you wouldn't have to try to find homes for all the kittens...you wouldn't have to have them spayed/neutered (most organizations will cover vet bills) and you will be saving a life. Most people do not know that many pregnant cats are PTS every year in shelters because there aren't enough people to foster them. You would be saving not only the cat's life...but the lives of her unborn kittens. And Beckiboo is correct, sometimes things happen and a pregnant cat dies....and I would hate for you to have that happen to your cat. So my recommendation still stands that you have your cat spayed...and you reach out to your local shelter to foster a cat who is already pregnant. Your kids will still experience the miracle of life..you will still be able to watch a litter being born..you won't have to worry about your cat having issues with the pregnancy. Again...this is just our recommendation. If you do decide that breeding your cat is the only way to go....then we would recommend this to be her only litter and that you have mom and the kittens spayed/neutered at the appropriate age.

Also...if you need additional barn cats...let us know...we can certainly get you in touch with organizations that have barn cats that are fixed and looking for the perfect barn to call home.

Katie
post #9 of 21
take it as a sign that she doesnt want to be a mama and get her spayed. my friend had a similar situation and when the cat did get pregnant it abandoned the babies which all died.

another option to fostering a pregnant mama cat is to check the free ads. around here at least people are always threatening to get rid of/ offering their pregnant cats for sale.

i know some people are put of the idea of fostering as they dont like the idea of home checks etc.
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyranson
Forgive me if I am wrong but as I understand it, when you say you are an experienced breeder you mean that you have had cats who have had kittens? You are not part of a recognised breeding programme relating to a specific registered breed of cat?
Your cat is of no specific breed, but a family pet whom you are hoping will have kittens so the children can experience the birth and raising of the kittens?

While I understand your sentiments, can I beg you not to do this? There are so many unwanted kittens in the world, and they are being killed every day because there are not enough homes. Many TCS members foster kittens and pregnant cats and let their children (and themselves) take part in the miracle of birth that way. Then as soon as possible, the mama cats and the kittens are spayed and neutered to help the problem of over population. Even if you think you can find good homes for the kittens your cat might have, consider the kittens in shelters that will therefore miss out on a home and will be put to sleep.

I am sure other TCS members will be along to say the same thing - please have your cat spayed and foster a poor homeless pregnant cat to give her and her kittens the comfort they deserve at a difficult time, within a loving and concerned family. TCS members welcome each birth with joy and congratulate the family concerned, but while celebrating new life we hate the circumstances that necessitate thousands of cats being murdered every day, and we try to persuade people into responsible actions to lessen this terrible evil.
I heartly agree 100% with Jenny and the above statement. As a shelter volunteer I am intimitely familiar with the heartbreak of stray homeless pregnant cats who are still practially kittens themselves. Shelters never have enough foster homes and would welcome you with open arms I am sure. Please contact a shelter in your area and foster a pregnant stray.
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purity
^^^^ My sentiments exactly, I just couldn't find the words.

Please, please if you want to experience the miracle of birth, foster an already pregnant mum.
Same here! I agree.
post #12 of 21
I agree so shouldn't do this... There are plenty of pregnant Strays out there who need your help. Go to a shelter and become a foster mom!!
post #13 of 21
I absolutely concur with the other posts. Unless you are an experienced breeder - and in a program with genetic testing, a vet on call, understand wexactly what you are doing and you have a pyrebred kitty whose genetic lines and pedigree you can trace several generations, you should not breed this baby. She may werll be telling this herself. There are too many illnesses cats can contract and too many problems that can occur if you are doing this without a mentor and lots of support and are not part of an established certified program or have a certified cattery if purebred cats.

I love all cats. I utterly despair at the heartbreak of the horrible deaths and fate of so many cats and kittens just because their human wanted to breed them. Please -- if you love her, do not breed this baby!!!
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penfold
Its ok I am an experienced breader, just this time I am stumped.
You are an experienced breeder of ... what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penfold
I think she has purebred routes but it looks like she has had some others in her.
If you do not know for a fact she has "purebred routes" by physically possessing her registered pedigree in your hands, then it is certain she is not suitable to breed. To do so is to manufacture kittens just for the sake of having them and this is considered to be an extremely irresponsible and unethical practice. In keeping with the TCS Rules and Guidelines, we cannot and will not help you do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penfold
Well I just want her to litter kittens (we lve on a farm) and the kids would love it.
The other posters have given you excellent suggestions on how to bring the miracle of birth home to your children. The responsible thing to do is to follow those suggestions and spay this girl now.
post #15 of 21
Where would you go to foster a pregnant cat? and how does this process work?
post #16 of 21
phone your local shelters, mine have 11 pregnant cats/ new mother with kittens!

basically you would raise and look after the litter from birth to adoption. some shelters pay for food, most pay for vets bills but tis up to you how much you want to donate money wise (in most cases).
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow79
Where would you go to foster a pregnant cat? and how does this process work?
Contact your local animal shelter or rescue group. The process will vary depending on the foster requirements for each shelter/rescue.

Katie
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penfold
Jessie (my cat) just doesn't seem to get pregnant or want to give a litter (which I would love).

Is there any steps I can take to help the process along a bit?
Don't you think there are enough millions and millions of cats being PTS every year in the U.S. Why would you want to contribute to that?
I am not trying to be mean but please spay and neuter all your animals.
Walk through a high-kill shelter once and you will change your mind, it breaks my heart.
post #19 of 21
hi penny first of i would just like to ask where in the world you live

as i live in england and you are allowed to cross two purebreds to make a breed

exsample : simise cross with burmese is a tonkmise and can be resigtser as a purebred


i also think it is worst breeding purebred cats for years and years and retired them at age 6

all this women wants to do is have one litter of kittens from this cat whats wrong with that

she ask for are opition on how to get them to breed not a 2 page telling off because she doesn't agree with what you belive

p.s soz about the spelling
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow79
Where would you go to foster a pregnant cat? and how does this process work?
I've never done that, but it sounds like a wonderful way to help a homeless cat have a comfortable, secure place to have her kittens.

Perhaps you could start by calling or visiting animal shelters in your area and asking them about their foster programs?
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailail
hi penny first of i would just like to ask where in the world you live

as i live in england and you are allowed to cross two purebreds to make a breed

exsample : simise cross with burmese is a tonkmise and can be resigtser as a purebred


i also think it is worst breeding purebred cats for years and years and retired them at age 6

all this women wants to do is have one litter of kittens from this cat whats wrong with that

she ask for are opition on how to get them to breed not a 2 page telling off because she doesn't agree with what you belive

p.s soz about the spelling
Gail,

I realize that where you live, things ~may~ be different. However, one thing is the same the world over. Non-pedigreed cats are reproducing at an epidemic rate and the pet overpopulation crisis is very, very real.

And while there is some small grain of truth in what you said about crossing two breeds to make a new breed, the fact is that you should not cross two non-pedigreed domestic cats - the key phrase here is "non-pedigreed". To allow a non-pedigreed cat to reproduce is to manufacture kittens for the sake of having kittens and this is not only irrresponsible and unethical, it is just downright wrong when the world is FULL of such kittens waiting in shelters the globe over only to be euthanised.

TCS does not advocate nor do we encourage the practice of mating cats who are not registered, pedigreed breeds and we (and that WE includes you if you want to continue being a contributing member to this Forum) cannot and will not sanction this practice.

Consider this the final word in this thread. I am closing it now due to the fact that the original poster's questions have been answered within the guidelines of TCS and within the guidelines of this forum. If you or anyone else has anything further to add, please feel free to PM me or contact me via private email. We're done here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care
This thread is locked  
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care › What can I do to get my cat pregnant?