when to expect kitten

tia's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I posted this on another forum as well. I have a pregnant himalayan who is having 1 kitten and we are at day 67 and no baby, is this normal or should I be worried. she appears content and happy .

imagyne

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First Off, I am going to assume you have rights to have bred her, No need to answer, just wanted to get that out in the open.

Second, Unless you know the exact date that she conceived, ie. you only bred her for one day so you KNOW it had to be that day and no other, you could be off by a couple of days.

Has she been bred before? If so, what was her schedule then..
Does she seem like she's anywhere close to labour?

Since you know she is only having 1 kitten, then you must have taken her to the vet for Xray or ultrasound. Call your Vet! He may tell you to bring her in and do a c-section or at least check on her condition.

The very best advice I can give though is to contact your vet, today, perhaps while reading this or shortly there after, just to be on the safe side.

let us know how it works out!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tia's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tia's Mom

I posted this on another forum as well. I have a pregnant himalayan who is having 1 kitten and we are at day 67 and no baby, is this normal or should I be worried. she appears content and happy .
Yes I have breeding rights. and she spent 4 days with the male and we used the midpoint to determine a due date. Hopefully after this I won't be so nervous.
I just returned to work from lunch and went home to check on her and it seems that maybe things are starting to happen. So I have my daughter staying with her until I get home in a couple of hours. Wish us luck

imagyne

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So actually, you could very well be 2 days off and she's only 65 days. Keep a good close eye on her, and see if she starts exhibiting signs.. kinda seems she might be from your previous post.

Is this your first litter?

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you let your vet know about this pregnancy? I always take the queens to the vets on the 66th day no matter what. Persians are normally early and not late.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tia's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am sorry that I haven't got back to you sooner but i have been busy. Tia had her first litter (one kitten) delivered by cesarean section that very night that I was asking all these questions. Because it was only one kitten it was too large and she just couldn't do it. Luckily they didn't have to spade her and figure future litters will be alright. I call him nugget because he is worth more per ounce then gold! No profit in this litter. Oh well it is more important that Tia is o.k. also I have been in contact with the wet several times and he advised that she could go up to 70 days. I didn't realize himalayans usually go early.

cathyg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is good news that mother and baby are OK. It's a good thing you brought her to the vet when you did.

I'm going to be the bad guy here, but since this board isn't about making friends, but educating on cat breeding, here goes. . .

<<<no profit in this litter>>>

It is considered a major faux pas in the cat/dog world to be breeding for profit (especially admitting it). The old saying goes "you won't make a profit if you are doing it right." Your girl's c-section is testament to that.

Breeding Persian cats, or any breed for that matter, is a VERY expensive *hobby*, especially if one is doing it the right way. With Persians/Himmys that includes a PKD (polycystic kidney disease) ultrasound of breeding cats' kidneys, *before* breeding, to make sure they won't pass this unfortunately very common (in Persians/Himmys), degenerative, kidney condition to their offspring. Being a dominant gene, 50% of offspring can expect to inherit the condition if one parent is positive, more if both parents are.

It also gets expensive because when kittens are kept with mom for the proper age of 14-16 weeks, this will include both sets of kitten shots, worming, treating any illnesses the kittens get, etc. at the vets. If a breeder is very responsible, they will spay/neuter any kittens being sold as pets before placing them. All of this cuts very much into any profits one might make. If you show cats and want to try to title Mom before breeding, one can kiss any profits goodbye.

That said, again, I am glad that all turned out OK, I hope he grows up to be a beautiful boy.

fluffysimba

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Congrats on the one kitten.
A healthy kitten IS worth gold IMO. Pictures of the baby?!?!?!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread is two years old! where did ya dig this one up fluffysimba??

merrytreecats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Did you let your vet know about this pregnancy? I always take the queens to the vets on the 66th day no matter what. Persians are normally early and not late.
Virtually every female I've ever bred has been on the late side of 63 days {and yes I breed Persians}. My Tory is usually 6 or 7 days late no matter how many kittens she's carrying! She goes to about 69 or 70 days and has never had a problem for it. Nor are the kittens born oversized.