People Who Give Their Kids DUMB Names...

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems there's been a rash of people giving their kids dumb names lately, from Gwyneth Paltrow to normal people.
A work colleague of my husband recently had his first child, a daughter, they named her Moxie. ::censor::censor::censor::

I mean, I suppose its a cute name for a baby or a toddler but can you imagine when she's an adult? Moxie, Attorney at Law? Doctor Moxie? I mean, seriously people.

I remember when I worked at a day camp there was a little girl named Elantra, which I thought was pretty, until she told me it was because she was born in the back of a Hyundai Elantra!

Does no one give their kids NORMAL names anymore?

Hear any funny ones lately? Know anyone who's given their child a weird name? Do share...

bumpy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There are certain names that will open more doors than others. Audits and surveys with regards to job applications show that certain type of names receive more call ups than others even if everything else in the resume is similar. Since this is in the general section I would not want to mention which categories of names received more and which receive less.

Also do not forget the most important test of baby names:
Which fits better?
1) "Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States [insert name]"
or
2) "And now, the Lusty Beaver XXX Adult Club presents ... the hot action of [insert name]."

But ultimately a name is for the most part just a name.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's very true, and of coruse thee is also the option of a deed poll to change the names that you don't like when you're 18. Of course, you do have to suffer 18 years of torment before then. I always wanted to change Emma because it was as common as muck and really boring... but it's kinda stuck now. I don't like it much at all though. I've heard some really stupid names in my time, and I think people just don't take into consideration what their child is going to have to go through. Kids can be incredibly cruel. As far as I recall there was a kid born to a distant acquaintance of mine not very long ago..... she was apparently named "Blueberry". I wouldn't even inflict that on a dog.

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
well DH & I are expecting our first child in just under 4 weeks (sex unknown) and I can guarentee to everyone here that our child will have a "normal" name

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LilleKat

Of course
who else?
haha it was just that that reply was post at the same time as mine, so I thought I had better make sure.

do you honestly think that the members of TCS will allow me to NOT post any pictures? I think I might get slaughtered or banished if I didnt post any

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have already been advised whom I am meant to txt to advise of the birth (Chris was only allowed 10 minutes btw to get this txt out
), and that they will let everyone else on the "list" know - and who to email photos too straight away...

I was oblivious to all of this until last week
Its all being organised around me

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes you can give your kid an unfortunate name by accident. My husband and I named our daughter 'Faith' because we had waited so long for her and we kept telling each other to have faith, it would happen, and it did! But then she went to French school, where the other kids couldn't pronounce 'th' and came home crying at 5 years old because she was being called 'Fesse' (French for bottom or buttock!). Children can be so cruel, and I just gave it to them unwittingly on a plate. Now though, she likes her name.

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see alot of new baby names in my job. There used to be a lot of naming after states and citys. Now i have been seeing a lot of alternative spellling of common names. Some people get a bit to creative at it.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some years ago, a couple named their daughter, "Little Story". When they had a son, the joke about the town was, "What will they name their boy - Lengthy Novel?"

pandybear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
there are some truly odd names these days, for example, tigerlilly, hazel, apple, casper, fifi trixiebelle (sounds like and adult entertainer), peaches honeyblossom, little pixie, hopper and jermajesty...all these by the way belong to air head celebrity's who have no idea at all how to name a child

there is nothing wrong with a unusual name but when you think calling your daughter tigerlilly is okay something is just wrong.

my best friend recently called her daughter crystal, i nearly died when she told me, why couldn't she have called the poor girl rebecca or something

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bosnians often have nice names that mean something - but these are considered normal here. I have friends called Slobodan (Freedom), Jagoda (Strawberry), Snjezana (Snowflake), Miro (Peace), Narcisa (Daffodil) and many other interesting ones. And of course my Dushka, whose name means 'little female spirit' and is also the name of a very popular TV presenter!

julianne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I remeber reading on the internet a while ago about the actress Shannyn Sossamon (or something like that - she was in Knights Tale) called her son "Audio Science"

I did not believe it, until I googled her and found this on IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0815370/bio

Can you imagine being stuck with that name?

katielv

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Me and my hubby are from Ukraine and we want to give our kids authentic Ukrainian names, they will be different from other children and that sometimes scares me. In school it was hard for all of my teachers to pronounce my name leave alone my last name. So since our kids are stuck with unpronouncable last names we thought we will alter Ukrainian names into American.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my s/o's co workers tattooed a girl whose name was, I kid you not, Sh*thead. Her mother had seen it written down and thougt it looked pretty. She pronounced it shy-theed. We swore he was lying unitl he showed us the paperwork she had filled out, a copy of her dirver's license, and the tattoo. She had some kind of wierd middle name, too, but I forget what it was.

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

One of my s/o's co workers tattooed a girl whose name was, I kid you not, Sh*thead. Her mother had seen it written down and thougt it looked pretty. She pronounced it shy-theed. We swore he was lying unitl he showed us the paperwork she had filled out, a copy of her dirver's license, and the tattoo. She had some kind of wierd middle name, too, but I forget what it was.
Good grief! Don't the people taking these things down give the parents ANY sort of feedback?

Some cousin or other of my DH's is named "Misty Summer Knight"
. which is actually kinda cool except that it sounds like she was going to have a career in front of the camera --- on her back!