New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help!

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
Ok my kittens will be 6 weeks old this Saturday. Do you think it is time to seperate them from there mama I mean they seem to be eating ok. Except for the runt of the litter
post #2 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLGRL5
Ok my kittens will be 6 weeks old this Saturday. Do you think it is time to seperate them from there mama I mean they seem to be eating ok. Except for the runt of the litter
8 weeks is the earliest.
post #3 of 19
12 weeks preferably. That way Mama has time to teach them kitty manners.
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-n-SamsMom
8 weeks is the earliest.
... that's what I think, too.
post #5 of 19
The legal age is 8 weeks, but I prefer 10 weeks. Try to wean them before then.
post #6 of 19
No, they are way too young. They need to be with Mom until at least 8 weeks, preferably 12, and they will benefit from her milk during this time.

This is, however, a good time to call the vet and schedule everyone's spay/neuter appointments. When the kittens are 10 weeks old is a good time to have them and Mom snipped.
post #7 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiferal
No, they are way too young. They need to be with Mom until at least 8 weeks, preferably 12, and they will benefit from her milk during this time.

This is, however, a good time to call the vet and schedule everyone's spay/neuter appointments. When the kittens are 10 weeks old is a good time to have them and Mom snipped.

10 wks. Isnt that a lil young to be snipped?
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLGRL5
10 wks. Isnt that a lil young to be snipped?
Actually our rescue spays/neuters at 10-12 weeks of age. It is called Pediatric Spaying/Neutering. Not every vet performs spays/neuters at that age..but it guarentees that these kittens will not have any chance of ever becoming pregnant or causing a pregnancy.

Here is a report about pediatric spaying/neutering:

http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/repo...ly-neuter.html

Katie
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLGRL5
10 wks. Isnt that a lil young to be snipped?
Nope, it's the perfect age as long as they are healthy and weigh at least 2 lbs. I was a skeptic too but then I saw the results - they recover so fast that they're running around and playing within two or three hours of waking up. It's really unbelievable.

Besides, since a fair number of female cats have their first heat at 4-5 months, this is the best and really the only way to prevent extra unwanted litters.
post #10 of 19
Keep babies with Momma until they are at least 12 weeks old and/or have had all three series of their kitten vaccinations.

Early spay/neuter is IMO a wonderful thing. I wish it were available to me.

~gf~
post #11 of 19
there 2 young yet...when they can feed themself,clean and use the litter by themself they will be ready
post #12 of 19
Absolutely 12 weeks at the earliest unless mama is sick or there is some really good reason. Give them every chance they can get for a good start in life!
This site explains it well - I do not want to reinvent the wheel: <g>
http://www.breedlist.com/faq/young.html
post #13 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYbAsH
there 2 young yet...when they can feed themself,clean and use the litter by themself they will be ready

Actually there already eating, cleaning themselves, and using the litterbox all by themselves
post #14 of 19
That does not mean they are ready - they MUST be 12 weeks. Some reputable catteries - as that article notes - keep them even longer to ensure immunity after their vaccinations. Have you taken them for theit first vet visit yet?
post #15 of 19
Only momma cat can really teach them how to be cats in every way, and that is much more than just performing the basic functions of life. There are many people on this forum with behavioural problems in their cats, probably because they lost their moms too early. Unless there is a real health reason for it, keep them with their mother as long as possible up to 12 weeks.
post #16 of 19
Another vote for 12 weeks here.

We are keeping our litter and the momma cat really teaches them a lot between 8 and 12 weeks.
post #17 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten
That does not mean they are ready - they MUST be 12 weeks. Some reputable catteries - as that article notes - keep them even longer to ensure immunity after their vaccinations. Have you taken them for theit first vet visit yet?

Nope not taking them til after the 26th or unless they get adopted first They were just dewormed today.
post #18 of 19
hi,no srry ur kittens have to be 12 weeks old. to leave there mother!!!
post #19 of 19
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care