Hartz petition

june

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hartz is due to remove four of their flea and tick products from the shelves in 2006. These products have been known to cause seizures and/or death in cats. Several members have posed the question why wait until 2006, why not now? The petition below is to try and speed the process along.( from another site):

Feline Owner's Against Hartz (FOAH) has posted a new petition against Hartz being sent specifically this time to the Federal Trade Commission. Many of us also wrote letters to the Federal Trade Commission asking that they investigate Hartz due to the fact that they continue to market a product that they know is killing pets. Isn't that a form of FRAUD?

It only takes 30 seconds to fill in the form. There is an option to sign your real name but have it display as anonymous on the public petition if for any reason you would not want to display your name. I'm # 266. We are trying for 2500 signatures quickly so we can get the FTC to help further investigate and put pressure on Hartz. As many of you know, there is already a plan in place for 4 Hartz products-all of which are flea and tick drops for cats, to be removed from store shelves by March 2006. I have considered this to be a horrible compromise by the Environmental Protection Agency(EPA) which basically forced Hartz to voluntarily withdraw these 4 products. However, based on an email from the EPA received by another FOAH member, the voluntary withdrawal agreement gets the products off the shelf faster than a mandate from the EPA which Hartz could have appealed for a longer period of time!

Please sign this petition going to the Federal Trade Commission:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/493164993

Thanks in advance!

Nancy

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not sure if this will cause any change in the time schedule, though that is not a reason to not try!

Just as an FYI, from a trade publication I get, here are more details: the products in question as of August 1st, are relabeled with a caution. All production of these items will cease as of September 30th, and there will be no further sales or distribution as of December 31st.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They have been working for so long now to have it pulled from the shelves. I am glad it's being pulled, the sooner the better, but I don't think it will happen any quicker. I think at this point the only way to prevent any more cats from being harmed is knowledge. People that use Hartz use it because they have no idea how harmful it can be. That's why when people post here on the site about using flea medication, I always post how important it is for them to buy it from their vet and not to use over the counter medication. I told a woman in Walmart about it the other day when I passed by and she was looking at flea treatments for her cat. I just casually began talking to her about it. She was very glad for the info I gave her.

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to, but I don't put private information like that on the internet... sorry. But you all have my full support!

crazybash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by June

Hartz is due to remove four of their flea and tick products from the shelves in 2006. These products have been known to cause seizures and/or death in cats. Several members have posed the question why wait until 2006, why not now? The petition below is to try and speed the process along.( from another site):

Feline Owner's Against Hartz (FOAH) has posted a new petition against Hartz being sent specifically this time to the Federal Trade Commission. Many of us also wrote letters to the Federal Trade Commission asking that they investigate Hartz due to the fact that they continue to market a product that they know is killing pets. Isn't that a form of FRAUD?

It only takes 30 seconds to fill in the form. There is an option to sign your real name but have it display as anonymous on the public petition if for any reason you would not want to display your name. I'm # 266. We are trying for 2500 signatures quickly so we can get the FTC to help further investigate and put pressure on Hartz. As many of you know, there is already a plan in place for 4 Hartz products-all of which are flea and tick drops for cats, to be removed from store shelves by March 2006. I have considered this to be a horrible compromise by the Environmental Protection Agency(EPA) which basically forced Hartz to voluntarily withdraw these 4 products. However, based on an email from the EPA received by another FOAH member, the voluntary withdrawal agreement gets the products off the shelf faster than a mandate from the EPA which Hartz could have appealed for a longer period of time!

Please sign this petition going to the Federal Trade Commission:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/493164993

Thanks in advance!

Nancy
I signed

enigma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I work at petsmart and i make sure i tell customers about the dangers, and so far no one has got one when i told them the hazards. word of mouth is the best weapon,

timbit_n_boots

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Signed it

I don't know what I'd do if one of my babies was taken from my like that........
maybe a lawsuite???

msprissysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know the post was from back in 2005, but they are still making bad products! Lost a beloved pet over the 4th of July weekend in 2011. And still nothing has been done about this company.