TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Animal Cruelty Charges - are these harsh enough?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Animal Cruelty Charges - are these harsh enough?

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8589736/
A class C felony - up to $1,000 fines & 1 year in jail - do you think they should be higher, considering the unbelievable torture done to this poor kitten?? To think that these boys could be parents someday! I suppose that I should be thankful that the boys were caught at all.
post #2 of 25
Honestly, people who commit atrocious acts like this upon helpless animals need to be locked up immediately and FOR GOOD. At worst, they will become serial killers. At best (and I say that sarcastically), they will abuse other humans (either partners, children, or both).
IMO, no punishment is too harsh for monsters who would do something like this!
post #3 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknowme
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8589736/
A class C felony - up to $1,000 fines & 1 year in jail - do you think they should be higher, considering the unbelievable torture done to this poor kitten?? To think that these boys could be parents someday! I suppose that I should be thankful that the boys were caught at all.
No it is not enough and they probably will not even get the max the law allows for.
They should be locked up till 18 and have to undergo intense therapy because these juvie behaviors are indicitave of sex and torture of people crimes that these children will graduate to if left untreated.
post #4 of 25
I haven't read the story as I imagine it's something that will upset me. Sorry, but I just don't want to even think about some of the things done to animals.

As far as punishment goes, no I don't think sentances are tough enough, not by a long shot.
post #5 of 25
Personally, I feel that harming an animal should come with harsher penalties than harming a human, but I'm a crazed vegan hippie maniac.

At any rate, 1 year in jail for torturing an innocent life is nowhere near as harsh as it needs to be. When will people realize that animals' lives are every bit as valuable as humans' lives and that we're no more special or blessed or whatever than we are? We share this planet with them...we don't own or control them!
post #6 of 25
No its not harsh enough. and this boy needs alot of mental help as well. Its known people who do this stuff to animals..can and do go on to kill humans.
post #7 of 25
I think punishment for maliciously harming any living being should be the same, regardless of bipedal or quadrupedal, feathered, furred, scaled, bald or haired.
It's all the very same mentality.
Punishment in all abuse/torture cases should be much harsher.
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlyn
I think punishment for maliciously harming any living being should be the same, regardless of bipedal or quadrupedal, feathered, furred, scaled, bald or haired.
It's all the very same mentality.
Punishment in all abuse/torture cases should be much harsher.
Hear! Hear! Well said.
post #9 of 25
I'm pretty old testament when it comes to consequences for your actions so lets douse them in lighter fluid and let them run around on fire for a while then "Put them to sleep". I know we can't do it but it does bear thinking about.
post #10 of 25
I guess I'm going to be the dissenter here. The kids are 14 or 15, and should be punished harshly. But should they receive fines of $1,000 or more (what 15-year-old earns enough to pay that with a part-time job?) or a year's imprisonment? Wouldn't it be better to sentence them to help in a public shelter, where they'd have to experience the animals' fear/despair/terror first hand? I think empathy is a better lesson than any unexplained prohibition.
post #11 of 25
Interesting idea jcat, but I wonder if it wouldnt just give them an easier time hurting them when no ones looking.

I also feel that animal cruelty laws are a slap on the wrist, and should come with a much much harsher sentence. The problem is if you say any creature that is harmed then you suddenly get into fuzzy areas. what about what most people call vermin, rats and mice? I know plenty of people that buy live mice to feed them to snakes, i know people who have the same mice as pets. Is the owner of the snake being cruel? What about mouse traps? the old snap ones are quick, but have a high miss ratio leaving the animal badly injured. They now make sticky traps where the mouse is stuck to a glue pad and you throw it in the dumpster leaving the mouse to starve to death. I find that very cruel. In areas where pigieons are a problem, they are shot, what about people who fish and catch a bunch of fish only to let most die and never be eaten? I am sure that if we said any animal someone would take it to the extreme and proscute someone who killed a roach. It would be very long and tedious to list out every animal it does not apply to, and very hard to word it so that it is precise enough and vauge enough at the same time.

But to people who hurt animals on purpose through abuse or neglect, I dont care what the age is, 8 or 81 they should have to spend time geting mental help and time in a violent offenders detention center.
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat
I guess I'm going to be the dissenter here. The kids are 14 or 15, and should be punished harshly. But should they receive fines of $1,000 or more (what 15-year-old earns enough to pay that with a part-time job?) or a year's imprisonment? Wouldn't it be better to sentence them to help in a public shelter, where they'd have to experience the animals' fear/despair/terror first hand? I think empathy is a better lesson than any unexplained prohibition.

Good idea but...when you torture an animal you have no feeling of the fear of feelings that it is having. I think the animal that was being harmed showed those feelings. and the child didnt seem to care...
post #13 of 25
I'd have everyone with a tattoo on their foreheads saying " I WAS CRUEL TO ANIMALS " so everyone knew what they did!
post #14 of 25
I cannot read it, either. I will throw up and cry for days.
I think they should be locked up until they are 18 and made to undergo therapy. I think they ought to undergo the same kind of torture to which they subjected these animals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purity
I haven't read the story as I imagine it's something that will upset me. Sorry, but I just don't want to even think about some of the things done to animals.

As far as punishment goes, no I don't think sentances are tough enough, not by a long shot.
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKittenDaddy
No it is not enough and they probably will not even get the max the law allows for.
They should be locked up till 18 and have to undergo intense therapy because these juvie behaviors are indicitave of sex and torture of people crimes that these children will graduate to if left untreated.
I agree.
Cruelty to/torturing of animals is on any serial killer's developmental menu.
Monsters.
They'll get a slap on the wrist in return for a long repenetant face in court, then be let out to terrorize another life again.
post #16 of 25
Thread Starter 
Maybe that would have an impact, if what they did wasn't anonymous. I just shudder when I realize that you all are right, these young people are most likely very, very serious threats to society. I wonder why they are so heartless! What atrocities have they themselves endured at their young age to be such monsters? Obviously, I would hope & pray that they get reformed, but more than likely they are already conditioned much the same as fighting roosters & pit bulls, and reform isn't very probable. Just a lose-lose situation all around. As for those who didn't read the story - that's probably wise, it is very awful;That's why I have admiration for those prosecutors & investigators who will force themselves to stomach the evidence in order to bring these *xxxxxxxx* to justice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiemac
I'd have everyone with a tattoo on their foreheads saying " I WAS CRUEL TO ANIMALS " so everyone knew what they did!
post #17 of 25
I can't read the story--don't feel like boohoo-ing right now.

I don't think animal cruelty penalties are harsh enough at all, though. I can't stand parents who let their kids mistreat animals. When one of my nephews was 4, he picked up a big rock and threw it at a dog my sister was watching and squished its tail. It was horrible. The saddest part is that he was a very sweet, caring child but my sister just never taught him better. She didn't really care much for animals.
post #18 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purr
I can't read the story--don't feel like boohoo-ing right now.

I don't think animal cruelty penalties are harsh enough at all, though. I can't stand parents who let their kids mistreat animals. When one of my nephews was 4, he picked up a big rock and threw it at a dog my sister was watching and squished its tail. It was horrible. The saddest part is that he was a very sweet, caring child but my sister just never taught him better. She didn't really care much for animals.
That is too true - I have seen parents who consider the family pet as just another toy for the kids. One of my pet peeves are those folks who brag "oh, my kids can just pull his ears, jump on his stomach, yank his tail & he never snaps, growls or bites!" - DUH! what about teaching the brats a little respect! I once dated a guy who confessed that when he was in college, his roomate kept snakes & mice to feed the snakes, and once when they got drunk, they used lighter fluid on the mice & lit them & were entertained cuz it looked like those "blossoming flowers" fireworks. I thanked him for sharing the story & told him that I would pray for his soul; he really didn't like that at all, but later called me & asked if I thought that he would get really bad karma - I told him I didn't know, ask his own heart. I couldn't really like the guy after that, but he explained that his parents didn't like the idea of pets & I did let him come over & learn to ride my horses; he was nice to animals by then, but I just couldn't get over that story - shouldn't a person's basic instincts tell them when they are committing atrocities?????
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugaimes
Honestly, people who commit atrocious acts like this upon helpless animals need to be locked up immediately and FOR GOOD. At worst, they will become serial killers. At best (and I say that sarcastically), they will abuse other humans (either partners, children, or both).
IMO, no punishment is too harsh for monsters who would do something like this!
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugaimes
Honestly, people who commit atrocious acts like this upon helpless animals need to be locked up immediately and FOR GOOD. At worst, they will become serial killers. At best (and I say that sarcastically), they will abuse other humans (either partners, children, or both).
IMO, no punishment is too harsh for monsters who would do something like this!
Amy, I, too, would be disturbed enough by such behavior to look for other "telltale" signs such as bed wetting, arson, voyeurism, or exhibitionism. However, I have a hard time believing that a 14 or 15-year-old is a "lost cause". That's the teacher in me speaking. I thus wouldn't advocate them being locked up "for good", but making every effort to "(re-)socialize" them.
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purity
I haven't read the story as I imagine it's something that will upset me. Sorry, but I just don't want to even think about some of the things done to animals.

As far as punishment goes, no I don't think sentances are tough enough, not by a long shot.
I can't read the story (I don't want to cry at work), but I know that if the punishments for cruelty to animals were tougher then there wouldn't be so much of it going on.
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purr
I can't read the story--don't feel like boohoo-ing right now.

I don't think animal cruelty penalties are harsh enough at all, though. I can't stand parents who let their kids mistreat animals. When one of my nephews was 4, he picked up a big rock and threw it at a dog my sister was watching and squished its tail. It was horrible. The saddest part is that he was a very sweet, caring child but my sister just never taught him better. She didn't really care much for animals.
I once saw my nephew bash a toy metal truck into a kitten's head-then he looked at me & smiled, like he thought he was cute..
I haven't liked that boy since.
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknowme
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8589736/
A class C felony - up to $1,000 fines & 1 year in jail - do you think they should be higher, considering the unbelievable torture done to this poor kitten?? To think that these boys could be parents someday! I suppose that I should be thankful that the boys were caught at all.
No, I agree that the penalties should be much higher.
post #24 of 25
I think that the charges for animal cruelty should be equal to the charges that would be laid if the victim was a human

pre meditated killing of an animal = life imprisonment etc....
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mew
I think that the charges for animal cruelty should be equal to the charges that would be laid if the victim was a human

pre meditated killing of an animal = life imprisonment etc....
In the US this would never be considered either practical or Constitutionally sound.

Here in NC abuse is a felony with up to three years in prison for each occurrence, but even with a conviction the courts rarely give any more than a small fine or, at most, a few months probation. I've seen far to many cases of abused animals come into our local shelter, and rarely does the news media find it worthwhile to even report it. When a rescue group two counties over took in a dog with an imbedded collar it made the news, but for some reason they aren't interested in the similar cases we see on an almost weekly basis. We took in a small dog that was so matted the feces had packed in along the length of his tail and back legs and was filled with maggots. (I can tell you first hand that was not a fun clean up job.) When the family was eventually identified they were even given their dog back with the only charge that stuck being having and unvaccinated dog.

We had a major bust of a dog fighting ring a few years ago, actually caught in the act! The local DA made plenty of claims about how he was going to handle the case himself and make sure everyone got the maximum penalty, until the press died down. He then passed it off to a junior attorney in the office. We held the 11 dogs (and a group of puppies born three days later) for 18 months. Some of the animals were seriously dangerous (one in particular.) Four (breeding females) were quite nice dogs, including the mom and a puppy that was seized in the original raid. I was ready to ship out mom and the pup as soon as the court released the dogs, but my friend who ran the rescue passed away just 3 weeks before the resolution (she was 42.) We euthanized all the dogs after the court released them. The ring leader, known to be one of the top breeders of fighting dogs IN THE WORLD, got three weekends in jail and was told to pay for the dogs' board for the 18 months ($21,000). He never paid a penny. Authorities from all over the region have been trying to catch him and another major fighting dog breeder, and this is all he got.

All to often the courts impose light sentences on even the worst animal abusers, even when stiff sentences are within the guidelines.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Animal Cruelty Charges - are these harsh enough?