TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Shuttle Launch!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shuttle Launch!

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Who-Whoo - Looks like there's going to be a launch this time! 29 minutes left! GO DISCOVERY!!!

Oops - I meant to post this in the lounge.
post #2 of 17
Just heard the successful launch live on the radio! Godspeed to the brave astronauts.
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
AMEN. I live on the "Space Coast" so watched the lift-off on TV and then walked outside to see it in the sky.
(thanks for moving my post! )
post #4 of 17
Oh yeah I forgot. Normally I stroll outside to take a look as well. Chalk that up to this yucky virus or bug or whatever stupid thing I've caught. Glad it finally made it up!
post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by katspixiedust
Oh yeah I forgot. Normally I stroll outside to take a look as well. Chalk that up to this yucky virus or bug or whatever stupid thing I've caught. Glad it finally made it up!
Aw - I'm sorry you've been sick.
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcat
Aw - I'm sorry you've been sick.
Thanks Renee. It hit me out of nowhere and has made me very grumpy! Now I can't spin today.
post #7 of 17
Thank goodness it went off okay. I normally keep up with these sorts of things but this morning I've had the boys to the vet's and I've been messing with that.

Good luck to NASA and the astronauts !

Cindy
post #8 of 17
I watched it with goosebumps. Didn't think it would affect me that way, but the last one I watched liftoff was Challenger.

So happy that all was successful! Now we can cross our fingers for a safe return as well.
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnicat
I watched it with goosebumps. Didn't think it would affect me that way, but the last one I watched liftoff was Challenger.

So happy that all was successful! Now we can cross our fingers for a safe return as well.
I saw the Challenger too. That was so sad.
post #10 of 17
They finally did it. Hurray. Gorgeous pictures on Fox News.
I am all for our space program. The final frontier.
post #11 of 17
I just read a news article that they had at least 1 sizable piece of thermal tile break off.

Thermal Tile Damage

I know that this has happened on several of the shuttle missions but this is what caused the damage 2 and 1/2 years ago. I know thats why it is going to get more attention this time, but I felt my stomach drop when I read that.
post #12 of 17
Great news!
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcat
AMEN. I live on the "Space Coast" so watched the lift-off on TV and then walked outside to see it in the sky.
It was so hazy this morning on the west coast that I couldn't see the launch from the Cape. I was bummed.
post #14 of 17
Here are a couple pictures taken from Palm bay, Fla (my work) Not that great, I know, but it was nice to see it go up again, so I snapped a few..



Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcat
I saw the Challenger too. That was so sad.
I saw that, too..it's one of those things where you remember every detail of when it happened, like how my Mom can remember when Kennedy was shot.
I was standing outside of a new PizzaHut that we were building, the North entrance, the one in Cocoa Beach at the end of the 520 causeway..
post #15 of 17
Challenger happened my first year teaching. I dropped my class off at lunch and saw it happen in front of the school.

On another not-so-great note - how would you like to be on Discovery right this minute when the top headline on cnn.com is: 'NASA Grounds Shuttle Fleet'?
post #16 of 17
I saw one of the launches,,,,,,I think back in 1997 or so, and it was SO cool.......I just happened to be in Florida at the time!
post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb25
Challenger happened my first year teaching. I dropped my class off at lunch and saw it happen in front of the school.

On another not-so-great note - how would you like to be on Discovery right this minute when the top headline on cnn.com is: 'NASA Grounds Shuttle Fleet'?
If you pray, please pray for our astronauts. http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbc.../50728005/1007
This is an excerpt from the article.
"The tile was damaged about one minute after Discovery blasted off from Kennedy Space Center on Tuesday. Black coating on it was gouged, exposing white substrate.

NASA engineers think the damage was minimal, but further analysis is needed to determine whether and extra inspection will be ordered up while the shuttle is at the station.

Discovery’s docking followed NASA’s decision to postpone all future shuttle flights until continuing problems with external fuel tanks can be worked out.

A large chunk of foam broke free from Discovery’s redesigned tank about two minutes after its launch, barely missing the shuttle’s right wing. New cameras on the tank and the shuttle confirmed the foam loss.

“The cameras worked well,†NASA Administrator Mike Griffin said in a statement. “The foam did not.†"


On the News this morning they said that the chunk of foam that fell off was 2-3 feet wide by about a foot long.

NASA is stressing that the crew is not in jeopardy. I pray they are right.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Shuttle Launch!