TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care › I rescued a stray pregnant cat...is there any way to tell how long til kittens?(pics)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I rescued a stray pregnant cat...is there any way to tell how long til kittens?(pics)

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
Hi all, I am new here, but have been reading alot of the threads.

Long story short, pregnant cat (which I named Shenzi) found her way in my life...she appears to be in the late stages of pregnancy. She appears to be very young and is pretty skinny other than the belly. Any way to know how much longer until she goes into labor?

I am feeding her Eukanuba kitten formula food and supplimenting with kitten formula replacement (which she LOVES). We have her isolated in my bedroom and there are a few spots I made available for the birth. She is soooo affectionate! I don't want to try to take her rectal temp, that would just freak her out.

We also have 1 dog and 2 cats (altered), whom we are keeping quarantined from her until I get the green light from our vet. My vet just happens to be on vacation (go figure), so I am waiting to get an appt when he returns.

I want to be clear, we are prepared and willing to take responsibility for her and in finding the kittens good homes. I will be getting her spayed as soon as my vet will do it. I also do not want anyone taking any of the kittens until they are altered. I just do not want to be a part of another unwanted animal pregnancy. (I am definitely planning on keeping Shenzi and possibly one kitten....) I also have a few very close and trusted friends and relatives who are interested in the other possible kittens.

I just don't want anyone to think I am not taking this responsibility as serious. I have the financial means to care for them, so they will not leave my home without their shots and spay/neuter.

I am going to post a few pictures in my second post.

So, that is my story in a nutshell, LOL. I love this site, it is very informative.
post #2 of 24
Thread Starter 






post #3 of 24
What a unique looking kitty! And bless you for taking her in and for planning to spay/neuter the kits before they are adopted. Good for you!!!

The gestation period for cats is 63 days (give or take a few) and it is hard to tell looking at her when she is due. She looks rather skinny in one pict.Have you felt any kittens yet? Is she nesting? You will know a week before when her nipples become pinker and she starts looking for a place to birth. Have you read some of the cat pregnancy sites?
post #4 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
The gestation period for cats is 63 days (give or take a few) and it is hard to tell looking at her when she is due. She looks rather skinny in one pict.Have you felt any kittens yet? Is she nesting? You will know a week before when her nipples become pinker and she starts looking for a place to birth. Have you read some of the cat pregnancy sites?
i have no idea how long she has been pregnant, she came to us that way, LOL. I have been feeding her for a few weks and finally took her in a few days ago because I worried that she would give birth out in the woods or something. We searched for her owners..she had no ID, but noone seems to know anything about her...

She is skinny, but seems to be less bony now than she was when I first met her. I have been feeding her as much as she will eat. She has a gravity waterer and feeder. Her nipples are very pink and you can see the babies move from across the room...and you can feel them (it is so adorable). '

Yes, I have been reading everything I can find and getting prepared. I feel like a nervous father pacing the room. LOL
post #5 of 24
Thread Starter 
Oh, I forgot to add...I am not sure if she is nesting...she is so new to our family. Her behavior has been that she is very affectionate and purrs ALOT and wants rubbed. She loves laying on the floor in front of the air conditioning vent. She seems sort of quiet today, compared to when I took her in. Sleeps alot...moves from one position to the other trying to get comfortable I guess. She doesn't meow all that much.
post #6 of 24
She's beautiful! I had exactly the same situation, and even though I took her to the vet, he x-rayed her and told me "at least 2" kittens, and that she would have them within 10 days; 14 max.

Ha, ha, she had 8 kittens 21 days later!!! It was a really great experience, and I hope it goes well for you. Let us know what happens.

Oh, and before she had her kittens, she did nothing out of the ordinary to make me think she was almost in labor. But I didn't know the cat that well yet either. (Oh, and all kittens have homes, 1 with us, and Elsa will be spayed soon.)

Good luck! -Kim.
post #7 of 24
Thread Starter 
Kim, I love all of the photos in your link! What gorgeous babies.

Oh and I named her Shenzi after Whoopi Gooldbergs character in The Lion King...for those who saw it, she was one of the laughing Hyenas. If you look at the 3rd picture I posted, she sort of looks like one of them...mottled fur and big belly.

She is obviously much more adorable though, LOL
post #8 of 24
In general, cats start "showing" around 6 weeks, the hair falls off around the nipples at 7 weeks, and there is some discharge from the vulva about 48 hours before birth.

This is a generalization but it's pretty useful. Your vet may be able to give more specific information.
post #9 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiferal
In general, cats start "showing" around 6 weeks, the hair falls off around the nipples at 7 weeks, and there is some discharge from the vulva about 48 hours before birth.

This is a generalization but it's pretty useful. Your vet may be able to give more specific information.
Thanks semiferal, that is helpful. She doesn't have any hair around her nipples, so I guess she is beyond 7 weeks. Not sure about the discharge...I'll go ask her, LOL
post #10 of 24
Nesting means she is looking and trying to prepare a comfortable and usually hidden place to have her babies. Typically, Queens (mama cats) do it fairly close to delivery. I say usually hidden because a stray I once took in (does anyone agree with my theory that cats gravitate toward the homes of cat people? They just "know", which proves that just maybe aliens from outer space who have super IQ's really are masqarading around our planet as cats - kidding about the latter comment and somewhat serious about the former) had her babies on my bed in the middle of the night. And I wasn't even on call. Needless to say, the "nest"was moved to my bedroom closet - a very delicate operation.

You may have to ask her quite a few questions before she gives birth, lol Too bad she does not talk to humans like those sleuthing felines Dulcie, Joe Grey in the fun Shirley Rousseau Murphy mystery series.

And kluchetta, what adorable photos of the kittens (and mom) you have. OhMiGosh, it must've been very difficult to decide which ones to keep.

I don't blame you for being nervous pooh, I would be too!!! Good luck and send us photos!!!! I am anxious to see f any look like mom who should have a few more lbs (kilos) on her by the time she delivers her babies - thx to your tlc.
post #11 of 24
Oh she's gorgeous. I'm cracking up though, I just quickly glanced at the thread title and I thought it said penguin!
post #12 of 24
I can only assume that you know my anticipation. I am in the same situation as you are. I had this beautiful new mom-to-be adopt me as her parent and she is very far along. She is very thin and very large (abdomen). My vet tells me that it will be anyday now, but she doesn't show any signs of nesting. I have prepared and prepared, but she just won't give birth . We all know how that feels. I hope everything goes well with your new baby. I will include some pics soon. Oh, and this site is amazing!
post #13 of 24
Thread Starter 
***warning- sort of graphic...for those who may be offended by body fluids and such****

Ok, so she wouldn't 'tell' me if she has any discharge, LOL, so I took a look and I can see some dried blood on her hair by her 'opening'...although I am not sure how long that has been there. Everything looks 'normal' though, I guess. Is that a sign?
post #14 of 24
Thread Starter 
Birdlove,

So we are both in the same boat, cool! I can't wait for the blessed event. I am trying not to bother her too much, but I keep checking on her hoping for some action!

I hope your delivery goes smoothly, keep us updated!
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdlove2006
I can only assume that you know my anticipation. I am in the same situation as you are. I had this beautiful new mom-to-be adopt me as her parent and she is very far along. She is very thin and very large (abdomen). My vet tells me that it will be anyday now, but she doesn't show any signs of nesting. I have prepared and prepared, but she just won't give birth . We all know how that feels. I hope everything goes well with your new baby. I will include some pics soon. Oh, and this site is amazing!
Please make sure you keep the pregnant cat indoors without the possibility of getting out again until she has weaned her kittens and is spayed. I had a friend whose cat ended up pregnant 5 times because she kept getting out. Cats can go back into heat almost immediately after giving birth.

Katie
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohandwendy
***warning- sort of graphic...for those who may be offended by body fluids and such****

Ok, so she wouldn't 'tell' me if she has any discharge, LOL, so I took a look and I can see some dried blood on her hair by her 'opening'...although I am not sure how long that has been there. Everything looks 'normal' though, I guess. Is that a sign?
This is usually a sign that you'll be seeing kittens in 24-72 hours. Make sure her nest is ready, prepare for the possibility of an emergency by researching the phone number and directions to the nearest 24-hour clinic (hopefully you won't need this but better to be prepared), and sit tight. It probably won't be long!
post #17 of 24
I was in the same boat when I took in the neighbors cat. Very skinny and pregnant. I'd never done this before so I didn't know what to expect. Every day I was constantly checking on her try to figure out if she was getting close. Then one morning, she came walking up to me kind of funny like and then ran for her nest. The first kitten appeared 5 minutes later. The only thing I noticed different in the days before was she seemed really subdued. Now 2 weeks later her 4 beautiful kittens are getting along fabulously It was such an incredible thing to witness, I hope you are able to see the birth.
post #18 of 24
It would also be a good idea to see it too, in case of any problems... My grandmother's dog had babies and hours later she started acting really funny and in pain, still trying to push and crying, so my grandmother, being the person she is, went to check and there was still a puppy in there, but he wasn't in the right position (instead of head first, he was tails first), this was in the middle of the night, the dog was a huge dog and my grandmother doesn't drive, so she put a glove on and literally stuck her hand in there to help the other baby come out... It was already dead by then, but who knows what would've happened to the mom had she not been there!
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanmly
I was in the same boat when I took in the neighbors cat. Very skinny and pregnant. I'd never done this before so I didn't know what to expect. Every day I was constantly checking on her try to figure out if she was getting close. Then one morning, she came walking up to me kind of funny like and then ran for her nest. The first kitten appeared 5 minutes later. The only thing I noticed different in the days before was she seemed really subdued. Now 2 weeks later her 4 beautiful kittens are getting along fabulously It was such an incredible thing to witness, I hope you are able to see the birth.
For those who do not have pregnant cats...fostering a pregnant cat for a shelter or a rescue will also allow you to opportunity to watch the miracle of birth and it saves a life from the shelter. Especially during kitten season, this is very needed and much appreciated.

Katie
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCSR79
It would also be a good idea to see it too, in case of any problems...
That is really great advice. Of course, sometimes the birth happens when you are asleep or not home and you can't really do anything about that. But if you can keep an eye on the process, then it's better. One thing to make sure of is that she delivers a placenta after every kitten. Retained placentas can possibly be fatal.

One warning, though: if you have a very weak stomach or are prone to fainting, it might be better to enlist someone else to take care of this job (a teenage boy who's into blood and guts just might be the perfect draftee, or maybe you have a friend, family member, or neighbor who is a medical professional and used to this kind of stuff). A healthy birth isn't a very gory process but there is some blood and body fluids involved and placentas sort of resemble raw liver. Most people end up fine with observing a birth even if they are apprehensive at first, but everyone is different. It's really just a matter of knowing yourself and your own limits and preferences.
post #21 of 24
The birth was so amazing to me, I looked past the blood etc. and only saw my beautiful babies
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanmly
The birth was so amazing to me, I looked past the blood etc. and only saw my beautiful babies
Susan...I'm assuming you plan to have mom spayed at the right time. If you need a low cost clinic, just let me know.

Katie
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNR1
Susan...I'm assuming you plan to have mom spayed at the right time. If you need a low cost clinic, just let me know.

Katie

Yes, of course! That was what I had planned before I even took her in. I will also get the babies fixed before I adopt them out. At least then I'll know it's been done. I'd love a list of low cost clinics if you'd like to send it to me, I live in Burlington, Iowa. Thanks Katie!!
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanmly
Yes, of course! That was what I had planned before I even took her in. I will also get the babies fixed before I adopt them out. At least then I'll know it's been done. I'd love a list of low cost clinics if you'd like to send it to me, I live in Burlington, Iowa. Thanks Katie!!
Fantastic Susan!! You know...given your joy...I would love to have you as a foster if only you lived in Virginia! We could certainly use more people who have a special love for the wee ones and their moms.


IOWA
Quad City Animal Welfare Center
724 West 2nd Avenue
Milan, IL 61264
309-787-6830
Serving surrounding areas in Iowa and Illinois, Davenport, Bettendorf, Rock Island, Moline, East Moline, etc. Low costs for spay/neuter, tests, and vaccinations.
Humane Society of Scott County
2134 West River Drive
Davenport, IA 52802
319-324-3960

Animal Protection Society of Iowa
Des Moines IA
515-266-2005

Noah's Ark
PO Box 748
Fairfield, IA 52556
515-472-6080

S.N.A.P.
Muscatine, IA
563-264-2370
Helps pay for spay/neuter of pets of people who have low incomes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care › I rescued a stray pregnant cat...is there any way to tell how long til kittens?(pics)