TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › The Eagle Forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Eagle Forum

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Do y'all know about Phyllis Schlafly (IMO Satan incarnate) and her little (OK, not-so-little) group, the Eagle Forum?
Here's a link to their site: The Eagle Forum
What especially bothers me is that this is a group of women who are VEHEMENTLY opposed to the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA) and the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), which is up for reauthorization this year. VAWA helps fund domestic violence shelters and advocacy programs (which assist women AND men who have been abused). http://www.eagleforum.org/column/199.../99-12-01.html They are against VAWA because it is "anti-family". So...what? They want family members to remain exposed to unending abuse and keep the lives of adults AND children in jeopardy without a safe way out?
Sometimes I think I was happier not knowing that hateful groups like this existed.
post #2 of 20
Good lord, what a piece of work! Honey, it ain't 1950 anymore, and it's never going to be again. It's a wonder that she feels it is suitable for her to have her own thoughts and *gasp* a JOB that isn't directly supporting her husband!

The extreme right (and the extreme left for that matter) are nutjobs, plain and simple. Thankfully, most people will see The Eagle Forum as just that - freaks!
post #3 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanhb
It's a wonder that she feels it is suitable for her to have her own thoughts and *gasp* a JOB that isn't directly supporting her husband!
Excellent point! She is so backwards-thinking...
post #4 of 20
that she may have people following her thoughts and supporting her actions. That is really scary.
post #5 of 20
Thread Starter 
Actually, they have 80,000 members!! SCAAAARY! http://www.ppatp.org/profiles_of_anti-choice_org_.htm
post #6 of 20
I'm aware that idiots like her exist, but I find it frightening that 80,000 people would sign up as members of her forum. Wouldn't it be interesting if some academic type did a study of the parallels between Schlafly's supporters and Islamic fundamentalists? I see some similarities.
post #7 of 20
What is she thinking???????????? I'm tempted to register and post on their message board. I probably won't though. BTW, I just read some of the comments. Not everyone on that board is a supporter.
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcat
What is she thinking???????????? I'm tempted to register and post on their message board. Anyone interested?
Please don't. From a moderator for the board here, please don't.

Because of an incident earlier this year, anyone involved in starting a board war could lose their priviledges to post here. And yes, they can and will find out where you came from even if you don't post it there.

Besides, regardless of what you say, it won't change their minds. All it will do is make them mad, and their responses will just make you mad.
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanhb
Please don't. From a moderator for the board here, please don't.

Because of an incident earlier this year, anyone involved in starting a board war could lose their priviledges to post here. And yes, they can and will find out where you came from even if you don't post it there.

Besides, regardless of what you say, it won't change their minds. All it will do is make them mad, and their responses will just make you mad.
I realized it was a bad idea and must have changed my post (took out the anyone interested part) while you were responding. I admit I'm still tempted, but I won't do it. Promise.

Just so you know, when I said "anyone interested", I had no intention of starting a board war. It was a response from the top of my head because the whole premise of her forum is stoooooooopid, IMO.
post #10 of 20
This is horrible! People such as this woman give conservative Christians a bad name. We are not all like that! Please do not think this about all of us.
Sheesh! I would be in a heck of a mess. I am not married and have no family. I'd be out of luck.
post #11 of 20
Ok Phyllis is crazy. the Equal Rights Amendment would force companies to pay men and women equally, and provide women with equal treatment. What is the problem there?? Because of this woman and that idiot President Regean it was never radified. And another thing what could anyone find wrong with the Violence Against Women Act???? Come on lady. I don't understand women like this. They want to return to the 1950s mentality of "father knows best" and "Why get a college education and use it when a man can support you?". I hate the idea of staying home while my husband makes the money. This is 2005 women have brains, hopes and dreams and there is nothing wrong with fullfilling those dreams.

as for the Planned Parenthood site, We had these pro-lifers come to WVU's campus and harass the women as the walk to and from class. my friends were called whores by these 80 year old women for some unknown reason. Thankfully campus and local police told them to leave. We would also get these crazy religious nut jobs telling us we were all going to hell and enlist the help of 5-6 year olds to hand out thier flyers. We saw the same wackos at the WVU-Virginia Tech football game!!! Why do college campuses attract every crazy person out there??
post #12 of 20
You know...its people like her that keep women like myself and others from being respected at work, and in our community, of being able to reach our full potential as a person with equal rights as men, and because of her and her kinds of thoughts, it continues to perpetuate discrimination against not only women, but men who allow women to be equal. And its ridiculous. Who wants to tell their daughter that they need to be full time wives, who cook and clean all the time? In this day and age, women dont really have an option to NOT work. It takes both people to make a household run. With the cost of living, and real estate prices, not to mention taxes and what not, it takes a husband and a wife working 40 hours a week to make it a comfortable living.
What are we teaching children if we show them that violence is okay at home, for the sake of the family. Well, for the sake of the family, when abuse starts...its not going to end, not until you make the decision to hit the pike.
I have got some news for Miss Phyllis: It is not 1950, and women who are out there, doing the same work as men, deserve equal pay...and in this day and age...no one is afraid to shout sexual discrimination. What's worse, is that shes got a bunch of yo-yos out there believing that ALL of these things contribute to the violence, and the crime in the world today, and thats just not true.
Lets hope that not everyone agrees with that perspective and that there are enough of is out there to counteract their pretty small minded ideals.
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanhb
It's a wonder that she feels it is suitable for her to have her own thoughts and *gasp* a JOB that isn't directly supporting her husband!
post #14 of 20
WOW...

Is all I can say.
post #15 of 20
This situation has more facets than the proverbial "blind men identifying an elephant", and isn't at ALL simply this or that.

For starters, women are the backbone of Motherhood (duh) and I am not certain exactly how, but I sort of have a gut feeling that they should be given some type of "special support" to insure, or to serve as thanks, for the propagation of the species.

Granted, men bear a certain responsibility in the process, and although it's a dirty job, someone has to do it.

Seriously, there is growing evidence that the so-called "equality" movement has resulted in the shortening of the excess longevity enjoyed by women, and one can only suppose that in the continuum, it will level out, and "equal" women will, like men, be dropping like flies.

I don't for a minute believe that despite certain aspects of Ms. Schafly's ideas raising red flags, negative aspects of her movement in no way define the totality of what she professes.

Can anyone deny that taking the "good" aspects of "going back to the '50's" would be bad ?

I'm not saying the whole thing is good or bad, I'm saying look closely, and try to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Leonard.
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by winwin
This situation has more facets than the proverbial "blind men identifying an elephant", and isn't at ALL simply this or that.

For starters, women are the backbone of Motherhood (duh) and I am not certain exactly how, but I sort of have a gut feeling that they should be given some type of "special support" to insure, or to serve as thanks, for the propagation of the species.

Granted, men bear a certain responsibility in the process, and although it's a dirty job, someone has to do it.

Seriously, there is growing evidence that the so-called "equality" movement has resulted in the shortening of the excess longevity enjoyed by women, and one can only suppose that in the continuum, it will level out, and "equal" women will, like men, be dropping like flies.

I don't for a minute believe that despite certain aspects of Ms. Schafly's ideas raising red flags, negative aspects of her movement in no way define the totality of what she professes.

Can anyone deny that taking the "good" aspects of "going back to the '50's" would be bad ?

I'm not saying the whole thing is good or bad, I'm saying look closely, and try to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Leonard.
Okay, but what is your point, specifically? (without referring to too many vague references like special support, good aspects, certain aspects, negative aspects and grain product metaphors)
post #17 of 20
[quote=winwin]I don't for a minute believe that despite certain aspects of Ms. Schafly's ideas raising red flags, negative aspects of her movement in no way define the totality of what she professes.

Can anyone deny that taking the "good" aspects of "going back to the '50's" would be bad ?


Leonard, I don't believe the 50s was all that it was cracked up to be. Yes, you lived it and I was a toddler but from what I have read and researched in school, the fifties was pretty vicious at times, as were many, if not most decade. Blacklists, Jim Crow, Joe McCarthy, etc. I think David Halberstam, paints a very accurate picture in his book "The Fifties"

BTW I wouldn't call Phylis Schafly M.S. if I were you...Gloria Steinem coined that term!!! LOL!
post #18 of 20
I think she should just go back go promoting orange juice. She was the orange juice lady right? She formed her organization specifically to couter the ERA, so that shouldn't be too surpising. She is a well organized, powerful, intelligent woman however, despite my feelings about her beliefs and activism. You've got to hand that to her at least. Concerned Women for American is another group that drives me insane.
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by esrgirl
I think she should just go back go promoting orange juice. She was the orange juice lady right? She formed her organization specifically to couter the ERA, so that shouldn't be too surpising. She is a well organized, powerful, intelligent woman however, despite my feelings about her beliefs and activism. You've got to hand that to her at least. Concerned Women for American is another group that drives me insane.
The "orange juice lady" was Anita Bryant.
post #20 of 20
Women like her...need to just go away!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › The Eagle Forum