TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Native American holiday petition........
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Native American holiday petition........

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
Would some of you please sign this it is a issue close to my . Thanks .
http://www.petitiononline.com/indian/petition.html
post #2 of 23
Thanks for the link, I signed!
My great-grandmom was Native American so I think that makes me 1/16 Native American.
post #3 of 23
:bump:
post #4 of 23
Be happy to! I'm 1/4 Cherokee myself.
post #5 of 23
signed!
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover7731
Would some of you please sign this it is a issue close to my . Thanks .
http://www.petitiononline.com/indian/petition.html
It has MY signature! It is about time we did something for Native Americans!
post #7 of 23
Thanks for posting this.
post #8 of 23
I just signed. My great great grandmother was full blood (what we dont know but im trying to find out! ) Indian.
post #9 of 23
My DH and I signed. I also had a gr gr grandmother on the Trail of Tears.
Can't find much info other than went from Eastern USA to reservation in OK.
post #10 of 23
Thread Starter 
I just wanted to say thanks for signing. On another board I post to some of the people had a problem with this. I am glad the people at Cat Site are more open. cheryl
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincocatz
My DH and I signed. I also had a gr gr grandmother on the Trail of Tears.
Can't find much info other than went from Eastern USA to reservation in OK.
Actually, the cherokee museum on the reservation here in Western North Carolina has a whole lot of information on it - you may want to visit and you will learn a lot from it. It really is awful. They have a performance on the whole trail of tears also. I hope this helps. http://www.cherokee-nc.com/unto_these_main.php? this is the performance aobut the trail of tears.

And even though im not a native american, my hubby has cherokee and iroquois in him, which makes my son part of them too, so Im signing!
post #12 of 23
I signed.
post #13 of 23
I signed.
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBabies
It has MY signature! It is about time we did something for Native Americans!
I signed too!
post #15 of 23
Just signed!
post #16 of 23
Signed I'm not Native American in the least, but I think this is an extremely worthwhile cause
post #17 of 23
It's about time! Sad how overlooked Native Americans are by our government/society
post #18 of 23
Signed it
post #19 of 23
the link didnt work for me
post #20 of 23
I don't agree with everything they are asking for. Yes celebrate the native americas, yes push for more native americans in tv movies and music, but we have affirmitive action, they are covered under it. I disagree with calling what happened to the native americans a "holocaust". We fear what we don't understand. Both the "whites" and native americans failed to reconize who was there to do good and who posed a potential threat. Both have attacked innocent people. We should celebrate the native american culture, and way of life. We should encourage these people to keep those long and ancient customs alive.

They want to get rid of Columbus Day. Why? Columbus did something that few have done. He crossed the atlantic in 1492 in a wooden boat powered by the wind. It was an amazing feet for the time. Why simply forget something like that???
post #21 of 23
Perhaps genocide would be a better term to use. This term fits easily because one group of people (Europeans) deliberately slaughtered and enslaved another group. Yes, not all Europeans who came to the New World did this....they didn't have to because Columbus and the other explorers killed and enslaved so efficiently...there just weren't that many natives left when the hordes of European settlers arrived.

With the natives who managed to survive the murders and disease, our government did an axcellent and efficient job of killing thousands and trying to destroy the language, religions, and cultures of those who survived (it was illegal to practice native religious ceremonies until well into the 1970's!). I have a hard time condeming the natives who attacked even the innocent white folks who stole or simply intruded onto the native's land. Put yourself in the native's position. If a bunch of people from another country came in and forced you off of your land right after a bunch of their countrymen murdered millions of your people, wouldn't you fight back?
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsocats
Perhaps genocide would be a better term to use. This term fits easily because one group of people (Europeans) deliberately slaughtered and enslaved another group. Yes, not all Europeans who came to the New World did this....they didn't have to because Columbus and the other explorers killed and enslaved so efficiently...there just weren't that many natives left when the hordes of European settlers arrived.

With the natives who managed to survive the murders and disease, our government did an axcellent and efficient job of killing thousands and trying to destroy the language, religions, and cultures of those who survived (it was illegal to practice native religious ceremonies until well into the 1970's!). I have a hard time condeming the natives who attacked even the innocent white folks who stole or simply intruded onto the native's land. Put yourself in the native's position. If a bunch of people from another country came in and forced you off of your land right after a bunch of their countrymen murdered millions of your people, wouldn't you fight back?
post #23 of 23
Thread Starter 
http://www.coyotescorner.com/lk_scre...ed_tshirts.htm
I hope it worked. They have some really interesting t shirts about native americans and feminism.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Native American holiday petition........