or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › overdosed kitten
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

overdosed kitten

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
I have a kitten that I think got an overdose of Frontline..does anyone know what the symptoms would be and what I can do about this?
post #2 of 10
How old of a kitten is it? Did you use the regular Frontline on the kitten, or the product put out by Hartz?

Please give your kitten a neck bath, using Dawn liquid detergent and warm water. Not a lot of soap, but scrub as much as you can to get the medicine off her neck.

More information would be helpful, what signs are you seeing that leads you to think it is an overdose and how old a kitten- and have you called a vet?
post #3 of 10
How old is the kitten? You only used one tube/application, right? On the back of it's neck? Has it been licking it off?
Cats can be poisoned in a number of ways. Cats can directly ingest a toxic substance either by eating it or by eating poisoned prey. They can also swallow poisons while grooming contaminated fur. Some toxins can even be absorbed through the skin of the cat, (particularly the paws), and a few can gain entry by inhalation.

The clinical signs are very variable and will depending on the particular poison concerned. Many toxins produce gastrointestinal signs (vomiting and diarrhoea), others produce neurological signs (tremors, incoordination, seizures, excitability, depression, or coma), respiratory signs (coughing, sneezing, difficulty breathing), skin signs (inflammation, swelling), liver failure (jaundice, vomiting) or kidney failure (increased drinking, inappetence and weight loss). Some toxins act on more than one body system, and so can produce any combination of the above signs. It is important to remember that while most cases of intoxication will cause acute problems, chronic intoxication can also arise, and often proves even more difficult to recognise and treat.

If you do think that it has been poisoned, you need to get it to a vet asap!
post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 
She appears to be about 6-8 weeks old and just caught her yesterday and last night put about a half a ml on the back of her neck, she started vomiting about 6 hours later and seems alert but not as active as a normal kitten. I bathed her as soon as she started vomiting so I'm sure it's gone but I cannot get her to a vet until Monday and thought I might be able to do something on my own before then.
post #5 of 10
Well, thats the right dosage for 8wks... Is she eating/drinking/using the bathroom? Sorry to be gross, but what color is her vomit? Is she still vomiting tonight?

You really should call an emergency vet and explain to them what is going on. They can give you further information and tell you what you can do or if they think you should bring her in.
post #6 of 10
Frontline is generally not used on kittens that age. I would call a vet clinic that is open 24 hours and get professional advice as to how to treat her. Advantage is usually the one used for kittens and they make a kitten advantage as well- Although usually a toxic reaction happens almost immediately not 6 hours later- I would call a vet-
post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
It's mostly the food that she's eaten...IAMs kitten food, the dry kind
post #8 of 10
Here is a number you can call also if you are in the U.S.

For hazards to domestic animals the 24 hour assistance line within the U.S.A. is 1-800-660-1842.
post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
Thanks I'll call
post #10 of 10
The vomiting may not be related to the frontline. The kitten may be sick from other reasons ... But i guess that means you still need to go to the vet
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › overdosed kitten