TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › help please! my kitten isn't eating and is spewing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

help please! my kitten isn't eating and is spewing

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
i just adopted a 8 week old kitten from the humane society before that it was in a foster home, its been weened and at the foster home it was eating dry purina kitten food. i got my kitten 2-3 days ago and i haven't seen it eat or really drink like my last kittens did. its lost some weight and has been occasionally spewing clear liquid, i don't know if its because of no food in his stomach to throw up or something, he seems too young for hairballs. i went to the vet today and they said that they couldn't find anything wrong so i went out and bought a couple of the leading brands of kitten food along with some wet food. it hasn't from what i've seen touched any of it, i called the foster parents and they said to wait and see. i've pinched the skin at the shoulder blades and he doesn't seem to be getting too dehydrated and he does use the litter box, but i don't know if that's what was left in his system before i got him. please if someone has had this problem i could use a lil advice and/or reasurance he's the sweetest lil guy and i want to see him happy!!
post #2 of 14
Wow, I don't know what to say if the vet couldn't find anything wrong. I will tell you that I have had a few cats that always threw up any food you could buy at the grocery store. I feed Science Diet with great results; there are some other good brands out there too.

Does he have clean water available? When is the last time he used the litter box?
post #3 of 14
I 'd be finding another vet. I would also be introducing good bacteria into this cat with either Benibac (which you can get at a decent pet supply store) or plain yogurt with active cultures- even acidolpholus powder would help. But I would certainly take this kitten in to see another vet and rather quickly-
post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by evnshawn
Wow, I don't know what to say if the vet couldn't find anything wrong. I will tell you that I have had a few cats that always threw up any food you could buy at the grocery store. I feed Science Diet with great results; there are some other good brands out there too.

Does he have clean water available? When is the last time he used the litter box?
yes i gave him fresh water 3 times a day and havekitten version of IAMS, PURINA, and EUKANUBA out for him along with a wetted down version of each. i heard from a friend that some kittens after being removed from their mom's and bro's and sis's get a lil stressed in the eating and stomach department and need to be force feed a formula consisting of egg yolks and other ingredients from a bottle for awhile and then revert to hard food again. and in response to the other questions yes he's been going to the litter box, in fact he just urinated but his fecise is a lil wetter than the vet would like. the problem is i don't know if this is the stuff left over in his system from when he was with his family, since i don't know if he's eating, because i expect kittens eat very little at this age. have any opinions?
post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hissy
I 'd be finding another vet. I would also be introducing good bacteria into this cat with either Benibac (which you can get at a decent pet supply store) or plain yogurt with active cultures- even acidolpholus powder would help. But I would certainly take this kitten in to see another vet and rather quickly-
i tried feeding him yogurt and other semi dairy foods and he refuses them. i don't know what to do should i force the issue? the vet i took him to wasn't the only vet i also brought him to one of my friends who is almost finished with veterinary school and he was with a vet at the humane society, no one could find anything wrong with him. do you think it might be a mental state and needs his mom again for awhile, i don't see how its possible because i doubt the foster family wants him back after he's adopted and no longer their responsibility. i have been in contact with the family and they are as puzzled as i am. any opinions?
post #6 of 14
Are you in or near a decent sized city?? I would try for a feline specialistor try a cat only clinic.. I would send you to my vet but i dont think your in idahos panhandle
post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky
Are you in or near a decent sized city?? I would try for a feline specialistor try a cat only clinic.. I would send you to my vet but i dont think your in idahos panhandle
sry not close to anything major unless i spend a lot of money and go on a road trip for a bit. i don't think my kitten would be happy about it. i'm hoping we can find a way to work it out without having to spend too much money i don't have. right now i'm only stuck as a part time manager of two stores so i'm not exactly rich, but i'm not going to lose him!
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
also my kittens feces is now a off white/gray color, i'm not sure if its the new litter which is the arm & hammer fine grain litter or the cat litter deodorizer with arm& hammmer baking soda, the vet trip with the glorious thermometer, or the food problem. from what i smell it smells like baking soda could it be possible that the cat breathed it in and almost digested it as a food, i'm not sure. i know it sounds like i'm trying to play things off as minor things but this kitten just got a whole lot of new changes in its life and i'm trying to figure out which ones were wrong, thanks, i hope to hear any helpful advice and/or opinions!
post #9 of 14
do you have a urgent kitty or animal clinic?? I only ask due to have one in a town of 20000.. I would call and see what arrangments could be made.. I work 5 part time jobs and never think ends will meet
post #10 of 14
By the color of your kitty's poop she has a bacterial infection going on, which would explain the projectile vomiting. Please get her to another vet to be examined, have them rule out salmonella, coccidia, giardia et al...
post #11 of 14
Poor kitty! Hope you get another vets opinion soon.
post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hissy
By the color of your kitty's poop she has a bacterial infection going on, which would explain the projectile vomiting. Please get her to another vet to be examined, have them rule out salmonella, coccidia, giardia et al...
are bacterial infections fatal? well they get worst without treatment or could they also cure themselves?
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxykitty
are bacterial infections fatal? well they get worst without treatment or could they also cure themselves?
They will not cure themselves...please, the longer you wait to get this correctly diagnosed (not faulting any of your vets or your friend, but I agree with Hissy, something is clearly, physically wrong), and treatment begun, you risk losing this kitten...imo...and we would really hate to hear that
post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Oh My you'll never believe this just when i was about to give up hope that my kitten would eat and be healthy, he walked over to his food bowl and for the first time in 4 days started chowing down, and ate more then i've ever seen a lil guy his size eat. thank goodness, and thank all of you guys for your help!!! god bless!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › help please! my kitten isn't eating and is spewing