TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Average Price of Microchipping?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Average Price of Microchipping?

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
My kittens are going to be indoor cats only (my mom hates fleas). Though I know that there is always a chance of either one them getting outside in the future. Our old cat Pudgie made a mad dash for freedom before but we always caught him before he got too far. But theres always the chance i won't be able to catch the kittens right away or if im not home and my nephews accidently let them out or something. Im getting them collars and tage of course but I know very few cats who will keep their collars on. And since most are safety collars they could get lost outdoors definatly. We have decided when we take our kittens to be neutered when their old enough to have all their shots done as well. And we are now considering having them both microchipped just for extra safety. Now i have noticed alot of sites say $20.00 for microchipping. Those of you on here who's cats are microchipped how much did you pay? Just wondering in advance .

BTW what are your thoughts and feelings on halters and teaching a cat to walk on a leash?.
post #2 of 21
I don't have my cats microchipped yet but I work at a vet clinic and I know we charge $40.

I recently bought a halter for CJ. We have taken him out a few times which he likes he just has trouble getting used to walking. I'm hoping we will be able to take him for walks at some point. I think he'd love it.
post #3 of 21
In Hawaii, the fee is $40.
post #4 of 21
I paid $35 per critter for microchips. But they may have just given me a little discount per animal since I had all 6 done at one time.
post #5 of 21
Thread Starter 
ok i will keep all that in mind I need to make some extra cash because i could see my mom not wanting to pay for it all though I could roll it all into my birthday (bye bye new peircing ) but it would be worth it i want to have the happiest, healthiest, safest kittens around .
post #6 of 21
My cat is a strictly indoor cat and in three years she has gotten out once. She stayed in the yard and we got her back in no problem. She was out on a leash twice I'd say but she was just so scared of everything around her we didn't bring her back out again. Now our neighbors cat is on a leash outside nearly daily once the weather is warm enough. And he takes him for walks to go to the bathroom like a dog. Very silly looking! His cat is much larger than my kitty and much more aggressive so I don't think it bothers him to be outside with everything going on. His cat even killed a squirrel!!!!! Well, I think it depends on the cat as far as how comfotable they are being on a leash or outside at all...
post #7 of 21
Microchipping is cheaper to have it done when they are being neutered. The actual cost of the microchip is the same, but they don't have to charge for extra time. My vet prefers to do it when the cat is under anaesthetic.

One of my cats is microchipped (got her from the SPCA), the other isn't. Both also wear collars with tags, and they are registered at "Get me Home .com", which is printed on their rabies tags. Both also walk on a harness and leash. It took a few sessions to get them used to it, but they know that they can't go out without the harness, so they put up with it. They don't walk so much as meander through the garden, but I am in control of where they can't go.

I never leave them outside alone, though, even with the harness. Both are escape artists, and I have yet to find the harness that they can't get out of. And I wouldn't want to leave them anyway, I live on a busy downtown city street with all sorts of people walking through.
post #8 of 21
i paid £28 over here
post #9 of 21
this probably isnt average but my humane society here offers it for $5 when you adopt
post #10 of 21
My vet charges $80 - but like everything, I'm sure it's cheaper down there.
post #11 of 21
I got a New York bargain for Franz and Maddie. 50 bucks each (I got them both within 4-5 months of each other), that included the micro chipping, spay for Maddie, Franz was already fixed when the rescue group found him. All shots, and about 4 pounds dry food (good stuff) and about a dozen cans of canned food with each adoption.

Best 100.00 bucks I ever spent!
post #12 of 21
I paid $40 to have the chip inserted in each cat and an additional $12 to have them registered with the AKC companion animal registry thing. They scan each of them when I take them to the vet's office, so I know they work.
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazx01
i paid £28 over here
Which vet did you go to?! I only paid £20 for Molly (that was in Heswall)
I only paid £10 for Tibby as my vet in Manc was doing a microchipping drive - so it was on offer!
If you keep an eye out on microchipping websites, you can find out when they are doing a drive - I think they happen a lot more frequently in the US!

I walk both of my kitties! If you have a look in Care and Grooming, there are a couple of threads about harness and leash training anf learning to walk the cat!
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sar
Which vet did you go to?! I only paid £20 for Molly (that was in Heswall)
I only paid £10 for Tibby as my vet in Manc was doing a microchipping drive - so it was on offer!
and here's me thinking that was cheap
post #15 of 21
Thread Starter 
Thanks again everything I hear sounds good to me. I talked to my mom about it again last night and I told her she could use all money to be spent on my birthday on the kittens vet visits and to have the microchipping done. Forgot to mention the veterinary clinic we will be taking our kittens to does things cheaper but the same quality as any other Veterinary clinic. Im thinking of calling out there and asking how much they charge for microchipping. My sister took both her cats Rickie and Lucy to this vet clinic to be spayed and neutered 5 years ago and all went well so I feel pretty confident.
post #16 of 21
Our vet also charges $80 so perhaps that's the going rate in the Toronto area.
post #17 of 21
I was quoted $40 for the actual chip plus extra for the registration services.
post #18 of 21
Having acess to a military vet, the charge is $12.50. IMO there shouldn't be any extra charge for time, etc. It's as quick as them getting a vaccine Most have no problems when it's being put in.
post #19 of 21
I know a vet who does it for 18$ us and that is with the registry i think
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandie
Having acess to a military vet, the charge is $12.50. IMO there shouldn't be any extra charge for time, etc. It's as quick as them getting a vaccine Most have no problems when it's being put in.
Really? Our is $14. I wonder if the price went up or that is just for my location. Not a big deal either way though.
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie5
Microchipping is cheaper to have it done when they are being neutered. The actual cost of the microchip is the same, but they don't have to charge for extra time. My vet prefers to do it when the cat is under anaesthetic.

One of my cats is microchipped (got her from the SPCA), the other isn't. Both also wear collars with tags, and they are registered at "Get me Home .com", which is printed on their rabies tags. Both also walk on a harness and leash. It took a few sessions to get them used to it, but they know that they can't go out without the harness, so they put up with it. They don't walk so much as meander through the garden, but I am in control of where they can't go.

I never leave them outside alone, though, even with the harness. Both are escape artists, and I have yet to find the harness that they can't get out of. And I wouldn't want to leave them anyway, I live on a busy downtown city street with all sorts of people walking through.
I think it's also nicer (to the cat) to have it done while they are under anesthesia. I've seen them and it is one honking needle!! I don't think I'd be brave enough to be microchipped!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Care & Grooming
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Average Price of Microchipping?