TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Ten Most Harmful Books
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ten Most Harmful Books

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
My old anthro prof sent me a link to this list. It was compiled by conservative scholars and leaders. I thought it was an interesting list. Silent Spring and The Feminine Mystique made it on the list! I thought that was amusing. Freud, Skinner, Mead, and Darwin made the top 20 list. The website says:

HUMAN EVENTS asked a panel of 15 conservative scholars and public policy leaders to help us compile a list of the Ten Most Harmful Books of the 19th and 20th Centuries. Each panelist nominated a number of titles and then voted on a ballot including all books nominated. A title received a score of 10 points for being listed No. 1 by one of our panelists, 9 points for being listed No. 2, etc. Appropriately, The Communist Manifesto, by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels, earned the highest aggregate score and the No. 1 listing.

http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=7591


Edited to say- Hitler made #2! That seems strange to me. Communism worse than Nazism?
post #2 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by esrgirl
Edited to say- Hitler made #2! That seems strange to me. Communism worse than Nazism?
Haven't looked at the list yet, but that actually does make sense to me. Nazism was rather short lived (officially) and was really one man's idea put into reality, whereas Communism is still around.
post #3 of 18
1 the Communist manifesto: goood idea in theory not in practice
2 Mein Kampf: I have it, havn't read it yet. it's Hitler's autobioography (sp?) bad man yes bad book, yet to be determined.
7 The Feminine Mystique, Um how is this harmful??? saying women can do more the staying in the kitchen is NOT a bad thing!!!!! It's required reading in WVU's WOmen's Studies Program. Very uplifting if I do say so myself

How did Darwin make this list!!!

Who came up with this thing!!!???
post #4 of 18
Thread Starter 
Phyllis Schafly was one of them. That speaks for itself.
post #5 of 18
Some of my favourite books of all time are on that list!!! I would like to know how these critics have defined these books as being harmful... For being revolutionary and exploring unchartered intellectual territory? I think these critics are just jealous they didn't come up with the ideas first. Of course, this is a CONSERVATIVE panel, who would see pioneers of feminism such as John Stuart Mill and Simone De Beauvoir as a great threat to modern society. I have ultimate respect for those who have the balls to reject the status quo and explore the truth. That's real personal power, IMO.
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespacat
Some of my favourite books of all time are on that list!!! I would like to know how these critics have defined these books as being harmful... For being revolutionary and exploring unchartered intellectual territory? I think these critics are just jealous they didn't come up with the ideas first. Of course, this is a CONSERVATIVE panel, who would see pioneers of feminism such as John Stuart Mill and Simone De Beauvoir as a great threat to modern society. I have ultimate respect for those who have the balls to reject the status quo and explore the truth. That's real personal power, IMO.
And also "Coming of age in Somoa"...yeah real bad there, a study of adolescence in another country...
post #7 of 18
I have to question this list also!!! The Second SEx is on the list. I have this book. Charles Darwin also made it! How can these be harmful? Who made this list? I don't agree with it. All books whether bad or good are not harmful , they educate and expand your mind.
post #8 of 18
People who compile "lists" and web sites have their own agenda, and you can bet, they will put their own "spin" on whatever they are pushing, so try to read between the lines, separate the grain of truth from the bale of lies, ask "why" is this person doing this, and be better informed for your trouble.

For what it's worth, I have read that Adolf Hitler's idol and mentor was our own Henry Ford, and Hitler subscribed to Ford's in-house newspaper and expanded on many of Ford's views on racism.

Hitler has no grave, but Ford's is in a not-so-nice part of town and has "Ghetto Bars" protecting it, as if someone would be interested in stealing the bones.

Leonard
post #9 of 18
Let's compile a list of the 15 Most Harmful People to a Free America.
I know! We'll just name everyone who compiled that REDICULOUS book list!
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by esrgirl
Phyllis Schafly was one of them. That speaks for itself.
How true..speaks volumes..pun intended!
post #11 of 18
I have to admit that I haven't read two of the top ten there. Many of them, including the "honorable mentions", have been on universities' recommended reading lists for ages.
post #12 of 18
I wonder if these goofballs made a fiction list? I would love to see that. I bet Uncle Tom's Cabin, would be right up there.
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanhb
Haven't looked at the list yet, but that actually does make sense to me. Nazism was rather short lived (officially) and was really one man's idea put into reality, whereas Communism is still around.
I think it shows how dumb these people are they would call it harmful instead of thinking people should actually study it to put communism into a historical context and thus realize it was born out of a certain time (it was either super rich or uneducated serfs prerevolution) and yet didn't work for many reasons. Instead...by demonizing it you take the stupid/easy way out.
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of Franz
I wonder if these goofballs made a fiction list? I would love to see that. I bet Uncle Tom's Cabin, would be right up there.
Not to mention all of the Harry Potter books. Actually, Barbara, I seem to recall seeing such a "negative list" for fiction - wasn't it posted here not so long ago?
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marge
I think it shows how dumb these people are they would call it harmful instead of thinking people should actually study it to put communism into a historical context and thus realize it was born out of a certain time (it was either super rich or uneducated serfs prerevolution) and yet didn't work for many reasons. Instead...by demonizing it you take the stupid/easy way out.
If you can't call the book that fueled the fires of the 'revolutions' that sent 100 million people to their graves harmful, then I guess you just can't call anything harmful.
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfur
If you can't call the book that fueled the fires of the 'revolutions' that sent 100 million people to their graves harmful, then I guess you just can't call anything harmful.

Remember it was a time when you had a VERY FEW rich and everyone else was poor when the manifesto came out. The world economny was out of control, look at the great depression here. I Mean obviously unbridled capitalism isn't the answer either. The theory of communism wasn't the problem, to take the power out of the hands of a few and put it into the hands of the many, it was that in reality it doesn't work that way. Human nature dictates that can't work, and it doesn't. However, there were very sincere folks who were interested in it *as theory* at the time. Even Pope john Paul himself said there were *aspects* of communism that were correct.

Yes Stalin was a cruel dictator but it wasn't the communist manifesto ideas that made him that way.
post #17 of 18
How can a book be harmful? (unless it falls on your head from a great height!). Surely it's the way humans use the information in those books that's harmful.

Whenever anyone starts to accuse books of being dangerous, I find myself thinking of those oh-so-liberated regimes where book-burning is the norm. I do hope society isn't gearing up for another bout of intolerance.

Sue
post #18 of 18
BOOKS don't tell you to commit genocide. BOOKS don't tear down deomcratic nations. BOOKS don't start wars. People do. Stupid people. Man, I hate stupid people!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Ten Most Harmful Books