TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care › I think my cat's pregnant
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I think my cat's pregnant

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
About 9 weeks ago my cat snook out the house. When I found her, she was with the neighbor's cat. The cat tried to follow me when I took my cat home. I'm assuming it was a male, but I have no idea. My cat has gained a few pounds since then. She has puked 5 times today, she hasn't been eating but she's drinking a lot. She's acting nervous and scared. She comes to me but she doesn't want me to touch her. I can't really afford to bring her to the vet, but I have a friend that owes me money if a vet visit is required. I'm guessing chances are she's been pregnant all this time and she's about to have kittens. Should I bring her to the vet or just let nature take it's coarse? What do I do if she doesn't have kittens? Responses are appreciated!!

Edit: She's was looking for a hiding place earlier and now she's laying behind my couch.
post #2 of 22
Ashes..it is best to take her to the vet..the vet can let you know whether she is pregnant. If she isn't...I would recommend having her spayed...there are enough homeless kittens right now.

Katie
post #3 of 22
if it was 9 weeks ago she would be ready to have them at any minute now. has she had any symptoms, pinking of her nipples, big fat belly, kitten movement?
post #4 of 22
Yeah, what Nicky said... those are signs. Big belly, movement, but mainly pink enlarged nipples. That's what you need to look for. Perhaps you can just call your vet, and let them know that your cat is pregnant, and that you'd appreciate any advice they have? Most, if not all, vets give free advice over the phone.

P.S. Good luck with your new kitties!
post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all the responses!!

I'm bringing her to a vet tomorrow. It's hard to see the symptoms mentioned because she is a long haired cat. She has gained weight though. It's hard to find a vet around here that will give advice free over the phone. They're all money hungry. So I'll be bringing her in tomorrow afternoon. Would I still need to bring her if she has kittens before then?

Edit: Oh, and I will get her fixed as soon as I can afford it. I wasn't planning on letting her out of the house but she's sneaky.

Edit: She has vomited twice more and she hasn't moved from her corner for a few hours other than to vomit.
post #6 of 22
Quote:
She has gained weight though.
Gaining weight alone is not a guarentee that she is pregnant. We've had cats at our rescue who we swore were pregnant because they were "large" and they turned out to not be pregnant. I know your cat does not want you to touch her belly....but if you can try to feel if there is any movement, it would help to determine if she is pregnant.

Katie
post #7 of 22
I would be concerned about the vomiting. Take away her food temporarily and offer her water. If she can't even keep water down then she needs to see a vet. Cats can only go for 2-3 days without eatind before they begin to do damage to their liver. Keep that in mind and I would get her to a vet ASAP.
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle
I would be concerned about the vomiting. Take away her food temporarily and offer her water. If she can't even keep water down then she needs to see a vet. Cats can only go for 2-3 days without eatind before they begin to do damage to their liver. Keep that in mind and I would get her to a vet ASAP.
I was thinking that too when you mentioned the vomiting again. That's not normal, even for pregnancy. Maybe once, twice, or even three times, but not as often as you said, I don't think... correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.
post #9 of 22
Thread Starter 
She's not eating or drinking. She got up and went to her water bowl but seemed uninterested. It didn't take her long before she went back in her corner. She gets very irritated if I attempt to put my hand anywhere near her tummy. She's only gone without food since this morning. I think she stopped vomiting.
post #10 of 22
Thread Starter 
She has stopped vomiting but she still isn't eating or drinking. I was concerned about dehydration so I gave her some canned cat food. She doesn't actually eat it though, she just licks the oil off the meat. I figured the oil would be good for her if she's vomiting because of cat hair and not because she may be pregnant. I no longer think she's pregnant because she let me feel her belly and there's no movement. If she doesn't keep the oil down then I'll try to get her to a vet ASAP. Thank you guys for all the help!!!

Edit: Should I give her milk since she isn't drinking her water?

Edit: She licked about half the oil off of the canned cat food and went to the litter box. Her stool was a little soft but it wasn't diarrhea. She's acting closer to normal this morning, but I'm still bringing her to the vet.
post #11 of 22
milk will make her worse as most cats are lactose intolerant. you can give her ct milk but that might be a little rich.

yo can ring your vet for free advice but i would stick with water if i was you.
post #12 of 22
Thread Starter 
Alright, I'll stick with water. I'm going to try to find a vet that gives free advice.
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashes
I no longer think she's pregnant because she let me feel her belly and there's no movement.

Movement isn't the only sign to look for, however. The kittens may not be moving at the time. Feel her tummy once more... are her nipples enlarged. If not, she's not pregnant.
post #14 of 22
Thread Starter 
I don't really know what her nipples are supposed to look like. I could never find them because of her long hair, but I checked just a minute ago and I found one. I don't know if it's any bigger than it was before though. I tried to feel her belly again but she fusses at me and runs away.
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashes
I don't really know what her nipples are supposed to look like. I could never find them because of her long hair, but I checked just a minute ago and I found one. I don't know if it's any bigger than it was before though. I tried to feel her belly again but she fusses at me and runs away.
Are they pink? Do they look like they're filled? They should look like a tiny elongated water balloon if she's pregnant. (I couldn't think of a better analogy ) Either way, I'd get her to the vet, or talk to one, because that much vomiting is not normal. And if she's not pregnant, and she stopped eating and drinking, that's not so good either.
post #16 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJandBilly
Are they pink? Do they look like they're filled? They should look like a tiny elongated water balloon if she's pregnant. (I couldn't think of a better analogy ) Either way, I'd get her to the vet, or talk to one, because that much vomiting is not normal. And if she's not pregnant, and she stopped eating and drinking, that's not so good either.
No, they're not filled. So then she's not pregnant? I am most definately getting her to a vet today. I'm thinking she has cat hair in her digestive tract.
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashes
No, they're not filled. So then she's not pregnant? I am most definately getting her to a vet today. I'm thinking she has cat hair in her digestive tract.
If her nipples aren't enlarged or filled, and the only chance she could've had to get pregnant was nine weeks ago, then no, she is definitely not pregnant. But a suddenly enlarged tummy accompanined with vomiting and loss of appetite sounds pretty bad to me. You should get her to a vet soon, and I'm glad you are.
post #18 of 22
when my cat was pregnant her nipples were dark pink and about the size of a grain of rice.
post #19 of 22
Thread Starter 
I brought her to the vet today. The doctor felt her tummy and said she's not pregnant. So she took her temp and did a worm test. My poor baby has hook worms! The doctor said she's either had it the whole time I've had her, since I found her as a kitten, or she caught it when she escaped a few weeks ago. The doc gave me some pills for her nausea and of course something to get rid of the worms. She's eaten a little bit since we got home, so I'm expecting her to make a quick and full recovery.

Again, thanks for all the respones!!!
post #20 of 22
Awww....I'm sorry your baby has worms. Did you also set up a spay appt for her? That way you can ensure she won't ever become pregnant and scare you again. I hope she gets better soon.

Katie
post #21 of 22
I'm glad it's something as simple as hook worms! If I'm not mistaken, it might be best to give kitty some kitten food until she gets over it, because hookworms steal a lot of nutrition. When my dog had hookworms (got it from the vet, pretty bad because her was having a heartworm reverse, and weak already), we gave him some cat food as a treat once a night, until he was over them. It gave him the extra nutrition he needed to get through. Perhaps kitten food might be best.
post #22 of 22
Thread Starter 
I didn't set up an appt. but I will soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJandBilly
I'm glad it's something as simple as hook worms! If I'm not mistaken, it might be best to give kitty some kitten food until she gets over it, because hookworms steal a lot of nutrition. When my dog had hookworms (got it from the vet, pretty bad because her was having a heartworm reverse, and weak already), we gave him some cat food as a treat once a night, until he was over them. It gave him the extra nutrition he needed to get through. Perhaps kitten food might be best.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try to get some today.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care › I think my cat's pregnant